Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Logiedan
Logiedan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
ePub to Mobi Conversion Quality

I'm aware that it's a very simple process to convert ebooks from .epub to .mobi using Calibre, but I'd like to know how well the conversion process usually goes. Is most of the original formatting usually conserved well, leaving the outputted .mobi file just as readable? The .mobi files created will be read on a Kindle, if that matters.

Thanks!
Logiedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I often convert epub to mobi to put on my Kindle. In 99% of the cases, the conversion is fine and preserves most if not all the formatting and is perfectly readable. In the remaining cases, I might run into problems but the reason for that is usually that the underlying html in the epub files is complete and utter crap.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Logiedan

Thanks for your response! Can I hear a few more people's experiences? I'd just like to get a wider range of opinions so that I can be sure.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
Thanks for your response! Can I hear a few more people's experiences? I'd just like to get a wider range of opinions so that I can be sure.
They are both essentially containers for html so the conversion is straight forward enough. If you have no conversion options checked then the Mobi file will reflect the ePub file very closely. If the epub was garbage it will create an equally trashed mobi file and vice-a-versa.

Once you check options you are telling calibre to get in the middle and some things will change.

Try it and find out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I find it works perfectly for me 99% of the time. There are times I get a better conversion using either Mobi Desktop or KindleGen.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Do you have a lot of epub books already, or are you just now building your library?

I started out using Mobipocket Reader on my PC, so I bought books in the mobi format. Then I bought a Jetbook Lite, and some of the books I bought from Fictionwise had some strange compression problem and wouldn't open on the JBL. For those particular books I used calibre and converted to epub, which the JBL reads equally well. Then I bought a Sony, which doesn't read mobi at all, so I converted everything to epub. Now I do most of my reading on my Kindle, so I use the mobi version and try to buy anything new in mobi format.

Bottom line: I keep both mobi and epub versions of ALL my books in my calibre library. When reading on my Kindle, I can't tell whether the original book was in mobi or epub. I don't generally mess with the conversion settings, though -- I just let the defaults happen, and so far it works for me!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Logiedan

Thanks for all of the responses! It sounds like I should have no trouble with converting .ePubs to .mobi.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Brandobras
Zealot
Brandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it isBrandobras knows what time it is

Device: Onyx T68
what about fb2 to mobi

Hello,
and what about fb2 to mobi?
i've pre-ordered the new kindle3, but I'm concerned about my fb2 ebooks that are a few..

thank you in advance

Brandobras
Brandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Hi, Brandobras,

I think Calibre is your best way to convert them. If the fb2are well formatted, you will not have any problem converting to mobi.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote