Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Where?

Where do I get that Frastafarion thingymedoover?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins
Is it really that hard to have an opposing opinion on this forum? Just curious...
Nope, it's not. However the majority opinion around here seems to be that the Reader really isn't suited to displaying PDFs (certainly not A4 sized ones) very well. That's the main reason all these other apps have been developed to try and compensate.

I think that JimCuk and baker101 mean to be offering helpful suggestions of things that have worked for them, and maybe that's not coming across very clearly.

In any case, only you can really know what it is you need, and tell if a particular device will work for that need. It sounds to me like the Reader just isn't what you need it to be. I think there are a lot of folks who need an A4 sized display with annotation capabilities to do what they need to do: lawyers, doctors, academics, etc., and hopefully one isn't too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re
Where do I get that Frastafarion thingymedoover?
Try here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
In any case, only you can really know what it is you need, and tell if a particular device will work for that need.
Thank you. For a second, this thread was spiraling out of control (probably my fault). Maybe I've been involved in too many iPhone debates but lately I've noticed forum users tend to forget our experiences can be vastly different.
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #19
JimCuk
Enthusiast
JimCuk began at the beginning.

Device: Prs-500
Lol sorry Timmins, just putting an alt view across sorry if I seemed hostile. Its just I was in the same position (unsure of whether to buy one because of PDF issues) and I wanted to let people know that there is a workaround and its not perfect but its not half bad.

Anyway yes many different views, it depends how acceptable you find the conversion process. You do have to accept that Sony is basically not supporting PDFs. The only question is whether you find it acceptable to convert your files manually (which can take a while) just to be able to use them and I guess this is where we differ.
JimCuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi timmins,

Your cautionary tales re PDFs are certainly worth reporting. I think we'd all agree that the Reader is far from ideal when it comes to viewing A4/US Letter sized PDFs, and that one probably shouldn't buy a Reader if being able to read such files is an important consideration. The Reader is superb for reading RTF fiction - that's clearly where it's strengths currently lie.

Hope you find something that suits your needs,

All the best,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins
Thank you. For a second, this thread was spiraling out of control (probably my fault). Maybe I've been involved in too many iPhone debates but lately I've noticed forum users tend to forget our experiences can be vastly different.
No worries, timmins.

I think regular MobileReaders suffer from the opposite side of that problem. Since we tend toward mostly calm, respectful discussion, I think we sometimes forget that new folks don't already know that and we can get a bit less careful in our word choices, etc. It's sometimes hard to write things so that they read the way you mean them.

I've fallen into that particular trap a time or two (or three or ... ), and I have to watch myself on it constantly. Fortunately for me, this is the sort of easy-going community that generally tends to forgive such things.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote