Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
Ethona
Ethona began at the beginning.

Device: none
Howdy

New member here. I have been reading the forums now and then and decided to join. : ) I don't have an e-reader yet but I have been thinking of the Sony 700. It seems very nice. I was reading an article at Ars Technica..
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...big-screen.ars

So I might just wait to see what developes. I might have more choices in a year or better prices if I can wait that long. : )
Ethona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Ethona!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ethonia and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and check out our 'Which One Should I Buy' section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Let me also add my welcome. Before I bought my first electronic reader, I kept wondering if I should wait until something better came out in the next few years. But, I realized that if I did so, I'd give up 12-24 months use of a reader while waiting. So, I decided to buy what I considered had the most features that were valuable to me. After receiving my Kindle last February, I fell in love with the whole concept of eBooks and eBook readers and by August I also owned a Sony PRS-505. If I didn't think my hubby would jump up and down, I'd add a Cybook and maybe one or two more devices to my inventory.

I know that these devices can be expensive, but I chose to consider the value to me of being able to carry many books in a small device. And don't overlook the ability to buy books online and not wait for the mailman to bring them to my house So -- although none of the devices currently on the market is exactly what I want, I've at least had the pleasure of using these devices while I continue to watch the marketplace for what's coming next.

I wish you luck in deciding which device is the best fit for you. Browse through the wiki to find information on device characteristics and availability. Ask questions in the forum. And while you're doing that, have some fun here at MobileRead. We're glad you've joined us.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Ethona

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice. :)
Advert
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find the answers you are looking for to make that purchase
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Ethona

Yes, GraceKrispy. I found my answer after much pondering. It was between the Jetbook and the Sony PRS-505. I decided on the 505. : ) At first I was thinking of the 700 but I went to borders and they had it side by side and the 505 screen was amazing. When I looked at the screen of the 700 it looked milky to my eyes. It just amazed me how Sony could do something like that. Not matter how much cool factor the 700 had, its still suppose to be a reader and the screen should have been clean and crisp. Maybe they'll get right on the next model.

Ethona
Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I hope you love your new 505!! I can't part with mine. It is now an extension of me
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethona View Post
Yes, GraceKrispy. I found my answer after much pondering. It was between the Jetbook and the Sony PRS-505. I decided on the 505. : ) At first I was thinking of the 700 but I went to borders and they had it side by side and the 505 screen was amazing. When I looked at the screen of the 700 it looked milky to my eyes. It just amazed me how Sony could do something like that. Not matter how much cool factor the 700 had, its still suppose to be a reader and the screen should have been clean and crisp. Maybe they'll get right on the next model.

Ethona
Yes, I had the same experience with Sony 700...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Hi Ethona!

Welcome to MR!! This is where i decided on my first reader too!
I also did what you did and went to a sony style to check out both readers, and well I bought the 700. I saw the difference but my desire for the touchscreen overrode the minimal glare problem. It really is a matter of preferences. I am just hoping for dictionary support and it would really be my dream reader!

Lets us know what you think when you get your reader!

=)
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hi Ethona,

You made a great choice! The 505 is awesome...I sure love mine. what kinds of books do you like to read. Hope you enjoy the forum.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote