Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
HFC3
Enthusiast
HFC3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[SOLVED] Save to Device template

Is there a way to change the actual Title of the book (not the file name, the Title displayed on the device) as it's transferred to the device? I find it very annoying that title of books in a series are sorted alphabetically, rather than in volume order.

In my case, adding a Volume # to the beginning of the title. Then it would sort correctly in series order. I don't need the title to have the series index in the title in Calibre itself, just on the device.

For example; "Eye of the World" in "The Wheel of Time" series is volume #1. I'd like the Title displayed on my device to be "01 Eye of the World". In my case, I don't need the Series here since I group books by series on the device.

Thanks!

Last edited by HFC3; 07-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
HFC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See metadata plugboards
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
HFC3
Enthusiast

Darn! I knew I had seen it somewhere!

Thank you
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
HFC3
Enthusiast

I've added the following template to my Plugboards; All Formats/All Devices : {series_index:0>2s|v| - }{title} for Dest Field "title"

I've also added the following to my save to device template: {author_sort}/{series:||}/{series_index:0>2s|v| - }{title} ({author_sort})

The save {filename} to device works on 100% of the files. No errors, not even a hickup.

The title plugboard, however, only works on about 80% of the files! 20% of the books that are part of a series did NOT get the "v## - " prefix added to their title.

Oddly, even the incorrect results aren't consistent;
* Three times it used a format {series}:{title} (where ":" is a literal). The rest of the time, it just uses {title}. And, the three that had the{series}:{title} were only 3 of 4 in a series - #4 transferred with only {title}. All 4 of those books were the same format; azw

* I checked to see if the incorrect titles were for books with a corresponding ZIPX file - some were, some weren't.

* I checked to see if the incorrect titles were for books were DRM locked - again, some were, some weren't.

* I did verify that the book type being transferred is in Calibre (EPUB, MOBI, PDF, AZW). Again, most of the other books of the same formats transferred with the updated title without a problem, but some didn't.

I verified that there was only one file available for transfer to the device (a Kindle). I even re-did the transfer manually transferred specific format.

The only other thing I could think of checking those books with "original" titles that contained a "-" (since this template adds " - " for those in a Series). Every one of those transferred correctly.

Nothing I can find shows any common characteristic in all the books were or were not transferred correctly.

Any ideas on where I should look now?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The plugboard has to update the metadata information embedded in the file. It will almost certainly fail for any DRM locked books. It also frequently fails for PDF format books as updating metadata in such files seems to be a bit hit-and-miss. Why other formats should be failing I have no idea.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Plugboards also fail for books that are mobi type "both". See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199539
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
HFC3
Enthusiast

Hmm. I had a problem with MOBI Both before (not readable on device) and have that turned off. I haven't converted anything since they using that (only OLD), but I'll check.

If DRM is the main culprit, which makes sense, what really confuses me is why it's letting any of them (DRM locked) update the title at all - which it is. You would think locked would be locked.

Of course, none of this is OMG I Can't Live Any Longer!

Thanks hugely.