Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Agreed. It's the OP's money, and their choice based on their preferences.

I agree that device owners will naturally be giving preferential plugs to theirs. I've owned both (T1 and Kobo Touch), and have found the Sony to be better. But admittedly my preference is for a device that stays the same. I just want to carry my e-books with me. And the Kobo Touch does that just fine, too.

My husband avoids using wifi on his Kobo Touch because he doesn't want the latest upgrade. I never have upgraded my T1 since I bought it, and it never is upgraded involuntarily because I would need to do that on purpose via USB.

However if Reading Life is important for the OP then all other devices are a moot point.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
As long as the one you picked has the features YOU prefer, at the price YOU want to pay, it's the best one for you... and it's your money to spend.

I absolutely agree with that however buying a device because of some nonsensical social app, that has nothing to do with reading or sorting or buying your books, is like buying a car because it's a pretty color.

While there's no debating it's the purchasers money & preferences, there's also no denying it's a really dum way to decide on choosing a device.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Wow! That's pretty harsh! The OP probably based their choice not just on Reading Life but on a combination of factors... And honestly, how many people have enough money to choose a car based "only" on colour? That's just ridiculous!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #34
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I absolutely agree with that however buying a device because of some nonsensical social app, that has nothing to do with reading or sorting or buying your books, is like buying a car because it's a pretty color.

While there's no debating it's the purchasers money & preferences, there's also no denying it's a really dum way to decide on choosing a device.
Hey, you're right - it's my money and my preference, so it's a little bit rude to say that my preference is dumb because of a feature that you think is "useless drivel". The Kobo has nicer hardware and nicer reading software. I'll thank you not to go ahead being a fervent Kobo-hater and judging me thusly for it. It's very, very inappropriate of you - you are entitled to your opinion without using such loaded words as "dumb".
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For what it's worth my husband loves the Kobo, so I don't feel like our money went into a black hole. He doesn't really pay much attention to reading life except for the "cute" factor, but overall he's happy with it. As long as he can stick his CBC news recipe and other things on it, he doesn't mind.

Just because I personally didn't like it doesn't mean other people won't.
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #36
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Wow - what's with the posts virtually personally attacking someone that's obviously put some thought and effort into comparing devices to see what works for them? It's fine to point out what you don't like about one device or like about another one, but this is seriously getting a little ridiculous this thread. I personally love my Kobo and have had minimal problems with it and just because it doesn't fit your needs or you had bad luck with it doesn't mean things need to get uncivil in here (ie. basically calling me an idiot because I obviously don't know what I'm missing because I own/like my Kobo).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #37
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Wow! That's pretty harsh! The OP probably based their choice not just on Reading Life but on a combination of factors... And honestly, how many people have enough money to choose a car based "only" on colour? That's just ridiculous!
As to the car thing, it's not just about money. It's um....lack of intelligence, bad parenting, bad schooling, poor genes and so many other things. I know a young person that's done just that. Twice! She thought the car was cute and liked the colors it came in so bought it with inheritance money. Didn't do a fig of research into the reliability of the car or consumer opinions or service needs. Nada. Six months later she totalled it while texting & using her GPS & trying to drive all at the same time. Go figure.

FWIW I did not attack or call OP dum. I said choosing a device based on some nonsensical feature that has nothing to do with reading or buying or organizing books is dum. Big difference!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #38
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
FWIW I did not attack or call OP dum. I said choosing a device based on some nonsensical feature that has nothing to do with reading or buying or organizing books is dum. Big difference!
True - but it so happens that I chose my device based on reading, buying and organizing books. So, please be civil in your disagreement.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #39
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
This thread is a perfect example of why people should, if possible, try the various ereaders out in a shop before buying. Not one of the latest Kobo, Nook, Kindle, or Sony readers is vastly inferior to the others. There are little things they do better or worse, but there is not a lot to choose between them and a lot of it just comes down to personal preference.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #40
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
For what it is worth I think that the Kobo, Sony and Kindle are ALL very fine devices. I think that you would probably enjoy all of them. The Kobo has some very nice features and I really like the design and feel of it as well. The ability to add any fonts that you want is a huge plus. I hope that you enjoy your Kobo!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #41
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
This thread is a perfect example of why people should, if possible, try the various ereaders out in a shop before buying. Not one of the latest Kobo, Nook, Kindle, or Sony readers is vastly inferior to the others. There are little things they do better or worse, but there is not a lot to choose between them and a lot of it just comes down to personal preference.
I was thinking it's a perfect example of why you should never, ever ask people for help on the internet.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittiness View Post
I was thinking it's a perfect example of why you should never, ever ask people for help on the internet.
Nah, despite all of the strong opinions about various e-readers you'll find the one that pleases you the most. You've been persistent in seeking for what you want, and for anyone seeking to buy, that is a good thing! I hope you get satisfaction from the Kobo!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #43
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Nah, despite all of the strong opinions about various e-readers you'll find the one that pleases you the most. You've been persistent in seeking for what you want, and for anyone seeking to buy, that is a good thing! I hope you get satisfaction from the Kobo!
I was kidding.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #44
kasra5004
kasra5004 began at the beginning.

Well, I`m wondering whether i should get a kindle or a kobo. The thing is,i will probably use epub as my main format,so kobo seems like the most logical choice. On the other hand I don`t want to miss the extensiveness of amazon market. I`ve heard a lot about converters such as calibre. My question is, can they convert epub into mobi without reducing the quality?
kasra5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #45
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra5004 View Post
Well, I`m wondering whether i should get a kindle or a kobo. The thing is,i will probably use epub as my main format,so kobo seems like the most logical choice. On the other hand I don`t want to miss the extensiveness of amazon market. I`ve heard a lot about converters such as calibre. My question is, can they convert epub into mobi without reducing the quality?
Yes. If you want more details check out the Calibre section of the forum. I have a Sony for which I convert any kindle books I purchase to epub format. Works very well.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote