Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
djs71a
djs71a began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Backup Notes / Highlights / Bookmarks

Hello, I have an ePub file I would like to read on my Android phone (running Android 2.2). I have found plenty of readers that allow this. Most will also allow me to highlight passages, write notes and create bookmarks. What I have not found is a reader that will allow me to export / backup the notes / highlights / bookmarks I create.

The ePub is more of a reference book so these notes would be very useful. But I don't want to loose them all if I have to hard reset my phone or loose my phone.

Any suggestions?
djs71a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if you root your phone, you can use any of a number of backup solutions. A lot of people like Titanium Backup. Or you can even manually back up the /data/data/appname directory for your reader of choice by copying its contents to an SD card. You might even find that there is a fairly standard format file with the notes, maybe an xml file, or a sqlite database.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
djs71a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Well, if you root your phone, you can use any of a number of backup solutions. A lot of people like Titanium Backup. Or you can even manually back up the /data/data/appname directory for your reader of choice by copying its contents to an SD card. You might even find that there is a fairly standard format file with the notes, maybe an xml file, or a sqlite database.
Thanks. I am rooted, but not sure if it will stay that why. Like if I get a new phone or upgrade the OS on my current phone. I don't want to depend on being rooted to back up notes, etc.

I did hear from the developer of Moon+ Reader. It sounds like the Pro version allows you to backup your notes / highlights. I will investigate that more.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Grrr this is one of my pet peeves with the ePUB standard. Not standardized way of storing annotations.

Moon+ has the ability to export and import notes/annotations/bookmarks that are created from Moon. It is located in the "share" link in the Annotations dialog box. It also has the ability to share all of your notes to a variate of apps, email, tweeter, facebook, evernote, etc....

One thing I've gone to doing is saving all of my annotations/notes to evernote. If ever the case I need to look up something from a book I read. I can search the evernote database. Right now no app has a nice and easy way to search on your apps and evernote is build for such a feature. It also is a great way to backup ones notes. I have lost good notes both on Kindle and Android devices because for a multitude of different reasons.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
djs71a

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Grrr this is one of my pet peeves with the ePUB standard. Not standardized way of storing annotations.

Moon+ has the ability to export and import notes/annotations/bookmarks that are created from Moon. It is located in the "share" link in the Annotations dialog box. It also has the ability to share all of your notes to a variate of apps, email, tweeter, facebook, evernote, etc....

One thing I've gone to doing is saving all of my annotations/notes to evernote. If ever the case I need to look up something from a book I read. I can search the evernote database. Right now no app has a nice and easy way to search on your apps and evernote is build for such a feature. It also is a great way to backup ones notes. I have lost good notes both on Kindle and Android devices because for a multitude of different reasons.

=X=
Thanks for the info. I posted about Moon+ before you made your post, but my post isn't there yet. I think it has to be reviewed by a moderator since I am new....

Are you using the free or Pro version of Moon+ Reader? Using Evernote is a great idea. That gets all your notes to a 3rd party service, independent of whatever reader app you are using. Using notebooks / tags could really organize your notes.

One draw back I see is if you wanted to go back into the book where you made the note. You would either have to type in the page number when creating the note or take some text from the note and search the ebook for it.... How do you manage going back to the spot in the book you created the note from?
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs71a View Post
Are you using the free or Pro version of Moon+ Reader?
I'm using the Pro, I bought it back when it was a basic eReader with TTS being the only "Pro" feature(s). Since he has added a many new features like annotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs71a View Post
Using Evernote is a great idea. That gets all your notes to a 3rd party service, independent of whatever reader app you are using. Using notebooks / tags could really organize your notes.

One draw back I see is if you wanted to go back into the book where you made the note. You would either have to type in the page number when creating the note or take some text from the note and search the ebook for it.... How do you manage going back to the spot in the book you created the note from?
Yes you are correct there is not easy way. My reason for storing my notes on Evernote is twofold. 1) Is the search feature it provides which is the primary reason and 2) the eBook and notes get out of sync. I've lost my notes many different occasions on the kindle and on Moon+. Sometimes it was due to data corruption, my eBook changing or software update.

Like you also surmised if I have to go back and find that passage in a book the search engine on Moon+ is pretty good. I just copy the text in Evernote and search with Moon+

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
djs71a

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes you are correct there is not easy way. My reason for storing my notes on Evernote is twofold. 1) Is the search feature it provides which is the primary reason and 2) the eBook and notes get out of sync. I've lost my notes many different occasions on the kindle and on Moon+. Sometimes it was due to data corruption, my eBook changing or software update.

Like you also surmised if I have to go back and find that passage in a book the search engine on Moon+ is pretty good. I just copy the text in Evernote and search with Moon+
Thanks for all the info. I am glad I am not overlooking something obvious in regards to saving notes / bookmarks. I may be a little OCD when it comes to backing up (everything, not just book notes), but better save than sorry!