Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Simple Touch now in stock at Best Buy (YMMV)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%...nook&cp=1&lp=3

Just picked one up from my local Best Buy. 14 day return window with no restocking fee for those of you who aren't sure if you'll like it (Not sure if it's the same at all Best Buy locations)
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Nice...thanks for the headsup.

How you liking it so far? Compared to your Sony? Have you played with a K3?

I confess I am fairly interested in this new Nook, but I need to hold it. For some reason, the pics make this thing look a bit too squarish to me.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
mcooke66
Connoisseur
mcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to beholdmcooke66 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook ST - Nook 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Nice...thanks for the headsup.

How you liking it so far? Compared to your Sony? Have you played with a K3?

I confess I am fairly interested in this new Nook, but I need to hold it. For some reason, the pics make this thing look a bit too squarish to me.

I had the same impression upon first seeing it, I wondered why they made the bezel so darn thick. Then I started reading with it, with the touch screen you need to have a place to to hold it comfortably without touching the screen (obviously). The thick bezel is really one of the things that makes the ergonomics of the NST so good. Without it I think the complaints of inadvertent page turns and menus popping up do to fingers touching the screen would be a real turn off. Having said that it does make it look more square then other readers. You definitely want to play with one in the store and see how you like it.
mcooke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Just want to mention that the screen on the Touch is no more square than on the old Classic Nook. It only LOOKS more square because the bottom panel is not there. In fact, the reading screen is exactly the same size on both devices.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
I was really hesitant getting the new Nook. I had a terrible experience with the 1st Nook and ended up getting the PRS-300 instead.

I am really impressed with the Nook STR. I was expecting a bigger device (5" compared to 6") but the Nook is about the same height and only a little wider. It's also noticeably lighter than the PRS-300.

Like a lot of posters have said the pictures make the bezel look huge but really it's the perfect size. I like page turning with physical buttons so i can rest my thumb over it and just press down for a new page. If the bezel was any smaller I know I wouldn't like it.

Screen on the Nook STR is in a different class than the PRS-300. I've seen the pearl screen in stores but didn't appreciate the contrast until I saw it side by side with an older screen.

With all the formatting options (Font, Line Spacing, Margins) and Dictionary I don't think I can go back to reading on my PRS-300.

I haven't really decided if I like the way it organizes the Library. I think I'm just going to be putting books organized by folders on a SD card. One thing I do not like is if you switch to List View it shows everything on internal memory or SD card disregarding folder structures.

I'm also curious to see what additional functionality will be added through the hacking community. I don't see a need to root for just reading but I like that the option is there.

Overall I'm really impressed with what B&N has done with the Nook STR and it will be my primary reader for the foreseeable future.

edit: about the kindle 3. I've seen them in stores but the physical keyboard and proprietary format are huge turnoffs for me.

Last edited by Ryzir; 06-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert