Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
SmartQ 7 - my opinion

I'm not completely happy with the Q7 as an ebook reader, but I am happy with it as a MID. It has a pretty good browser, and very good Wifi. The device has good ergonomics (for me), and the 7" screen is just the right size. A 5" screen would be too small to be useful, and 9" screen would be unpleasant to carry.

The Q7 has pretty good hardware, but it falls short in the software department. Far too much necessary configuration has to be done on the command line. Suspend doesn't work. The clock runs fast. Double click doesn't work. And then there is FBReader.

I came to the Q7 from the Airpanel 100, which runs WinCE with Mobipocket Reader 4.8. FBReader comes in a distant second to MobiReader in every way (except for format support). It's usable, and I do like how I can turn the page with a screen tap, but it doesn't even have support for all html tags. (I should also mention that most of the software features I love also aren't available on any epaper based reader. The one device that comes closest is the Kindle, and that's because it's built on top of Mobipocket Reader.)

Final Word: I still think this is a device worth getting. The browsing, ergonomics, reading experience, battery life, and general hardware feel kept me using the device until it died. It died after less than 3 weeks, so that should give you pause. Even so, I still think this device is worth a shot.

P.S. I almost forgot to mention PDFs. I wouldn't get the SmartQ 7 to read PDFs. The screen is too small. I would recommend at least a 9" screen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
I hope you plan on sending it back to get a repair, Nate. It's got a year warranty and WinCe in English is due out in it which hopefully will mean more choice in ereading programs, I'm hoping to be able to get Allreader working on it.

Last edited by bjkel; 07-04-2009 at 12:37 AM.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
P.S. I almost forgot to mention PDFs. I wouldn't get the SmartQ 7 to read PDFs. The screen is too small. I would recommend at least a 9" screen.
Good summary.

Have you thought of exchanging the dead one for an A700 (8.9")?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
While I haven't had any problems with my Q7 (and flashed it many times), I have to agree that for novice users the OS on this thing is too cumbersome. If they shipped with WinCE 5.0 or above it would actually make the perfect eReader, although I'm not sure how good of a device it would be for web browsing.

I love it as an eBook reader. It definately blows my Nokia N770 Internet Tablet away just for the size. Still, this isn't the perfect LCD reading device yet. I do love my Q7, and it meets my expectations better than any LCD device so far, I can think of many improvements. I am interested in the Jointech J100 (is that the right one?) eBook reader that ships with WinCE and a 7" screen, although I hear the battery life on that device isn't too good.

I still think for price and features, this is still the best buy for LCD eBook reading at this time.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Coldsun, how's that remote desktop review coming alone?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I am interested in the Jointech J100 (is that the right one?) eBook reader that ships with WinCE and a 7" screen, although I hear the battery life on that device isn't too good..
I believe you are referring to JE100 http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE100.html

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48499

but at least the battery for this is removable. Thus can carry an extra spare. (since the device is just 250g)

Cheers

Last edited by gen; 07-04-2009 at 03:06 PM.
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Gibbo - not so good I got hit with some international travel but I'll be posting it soon.

Gen - thanks for the info. This looks like another toy to test for me.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Gibbo - not so good I got hit with some international travel but I'll be posting it soon.

Gen - thanks for the info. This looks like another toy to test for me.
Coldsun, if you get one, I'll be extremely interested in your review.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #9
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Nate,

Any attempts at getting the unit repaired or replaced yet? The shortness of ownership you and profnachos had before catastrophic hardware failure definitely gives me serious pause...

But all the capabilities, in a linux-based unit, is too great a draw! I think I'm going to buy one as soon as the new batch is available. Somewhere.

If you do attempt to get your unit repaired let us know about the experience. Hopefully it will just be informational, and not a necessary, step by step how-to!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I contacted the manufacturer about 4 days back, and got a response in 2 days. They recommended flashing the 4.0 firmware. It tried it, and it didn't have any effect that I could see.

If I don't hear back from them by Monday I'm planning to try to make the Ebay seller take it back. I'll let him argue with them.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I contacted the manufacturer about 4 days back, and got a response in 2 days. They recommended flashing the 4.0 firmware. It tried it, and it didn't have any effect that I could see.

If I don't hear back from them by Monday I'm planning to try to make the Ebay seller take it back. I'll let him argue with them.
What's the status with your replacement/repair odyssey? Hopefully good news, I just pulled the trigger on one from MP4NATION.net earlier this week!

That, and a toy that new that you can't play with, after that short a time, is fairly blasphemous!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
What's the status with your replacement/repair odyssey? Hopefully good news, I just pulled the trigger on one from MP4NATION.net earlier this week!

That, and a toy that new that you can't play with, after that short a time, is fairly blasphemous!
I had an interesting experience trying to send it to the manufacturer. I mailed it Saturday. Right now I'm waiting for a status change on the tracking number.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Still no word yet, nor has there been a change in the tracking number.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
dmon65
Connoisseur

So, still no word? REALLY sorry to hear that!

You sent the device back to SmartDevices or the vendor you purchased from? I'm curious because if it went back to the manufacturer and you're getting incredibly slow response from them it would kind of back up the story vendors are floating about them deciding to focus on Chinese support more than out of country support.

Still, sorry about your delays.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
What happened to your unit, Nate?

As I posted in the new thread, I just got my unit back today.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote