Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #481
alex2345
alex2345 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deagol View Post

That said you can of course also update your k3 to 3.3 and create a new "restore" package with my files, at least if you still have the rootfs.img created during the initial upgrade to 3.x.
That would also install the 3.3 version on your k2/dx kindle. But it would "restore" the device - including a factory reset - to 3.3, not update it.

Hope that answers the question...
Deagol, thank you for the answer!

Since one week I have Kindle DXG international, and I managed to install 3.2.1. Now I am looking for the newer files to update it to 3.3, but I can see only the instructions how to prepare the original files.
If I make backup of Kindle 3 (I hope my sweatheart will allow it ), then I will have all features of Kindle 3 plus DX or Kindle 3 only?

P.S. The main reason for the update was to read books in Cyrillic. I can tell that it was much worther than these modifications:
http://blogkindle.com/unicode-fonts-hack/
The Unicode cyrillic characters of 3.2.1 version looks much better.

Last edited by alex2345; 02-17-2012 at 05:39 AM.
alex2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #482
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2345 View Post
Deagol, thank you for the answer!

Since one week I have Kindle DXG international, and I managed to install 3.2.1. Now I am looking for the newer files to update it to 3.3, but I can see only the instructions how to prepare the original files.
If I make backup of Kindle 3 (I hope my sweatheart will allow it ), then I will have all features of Kindle 3 plus DX or Kindle 3 only?

P.S. The main reason for the update was to read books in Cyrillic. I can tell that it was much worther than these modifications:
http://blogkindle.com/unicode-fonts-hack/
The Unicode cyrillic characters of 3.2.1 version looks much better.
Well, i agree with you. My main reason was to be able to read .mobi books with turkish characters. They can't be displayed in 2.5.8.

Also i followed yifanlu's instructions and updated my kindle DXG to 3.3 but there is nothing worthy over 3.2.1. It is mainly for personal documents management which can be accessed by archives folder in kindle 3 but inaccessible with kindle DXG.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #483
JoeSchmoe007
JoeSchmoe007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I recently installed 3.2.1 software on my Kindle DXG mostly to get support for Russian language and more advanced browser. I have no other hacks installed.

Russian text displays fine everywhere but I can't figure out how to enter text in Russian when specifying new collection name or in the browser forms.

Is it even possible or do I need another hack? I do not want to switch all UI to Russian (which I found some other hacks do).
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #484
alex2345

Try to live without typing in Russian, although you may search for cyrillic hack of firmware 3.2.1 (personally I did find it, only for version 2.5.8 from Zerochaos and much elder from Boroda).
But I suppose, after Cyrillic hack you will lose unicode fonts of Kindle 3.2.1
BTW Duokan is not suitable for Cyrillic too.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #485
crazywong
crazywong began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Successfully updated my Kindle DXG from 2.5.8 to 3.2.1 and then 3.3.
I am trying to install font hacks and don't know which bin file should I use ?
update_fonts_4.9.N_dxg_install.bin ?
Thanks
crazywong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #486
alex2345

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywong View Post
I am wondering whether it would be possible to get the 3.3 file prepared for Kindle DXG (I have the international one). Thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #487
JoeSchmoe007
JoeSchmoe007 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywong View Post
I am trying to install font hacks and don't know which bin file should I use ?
update_fonts_4.9.N_dxg_install.bin ?
Thanks
What is the advantage of going from 3.2.1 to 3.3? I think I read in this thread that changes in 3.3 aren't applicable to DXG.
JoeSchmoe007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #488
shuttle
shuttle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG v3.2.1
Successfully updated my Kindle DXG from 2.5.8 to 3.2.1
Usbnet / DeviceHack enabled

[ Thanks all! ]

Last edited by shuttle; 03-17-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Fix
shuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #489
mda13
mda13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
got DXG updated to 3.2.1
feels myself happy.
great thanks to author.
mda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #490
citron
citron began at the beginning.

re:

Hi
do I need upgrade my kindle DXG for 3.2.1 or stay with 2.5.8 with additional hacks?

Im missing 5 important features mostly for PDF:
1) PDF TOC
2) PDF reflow
3) Directories
4) PDF highlighting
5) ePub
possible RSS feeds (Google reader)

What are main new features of 3.2.1 software over 2.5.8?

Are most of the features above supported by
Duokan + kindlepdfviewer + dictionaries or it is better to install 3.2.1 software + Duokan + dictionaries

Thanks
citron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #491
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
Hi
do I need upgrade my kindle DXG for 3.2.1 or stay with 2.5.8 with additional hacks?

Im missing 5 important features mostly for PDF:
1) PDF TOC
2) PDF reflow
3) Directories
4) PDF highlighting
5) ePub
possible RSS feeds (Google reader)

What are main new features of 3.2.1 software over 2.5.8?
I think it's mostly overall performance, newer browser, some improvement on the PDF handling. However, I think from your list, this would only be PDF highlighting.

Quote:
Are most of the features above supported by
Duokan + kindlepdfviewer + dictionaries or it is better to install 3.2.1 software + Duokan + dictionaries
Kindlepdfviewer won't bring reflow (and this will probably stay this way for a while since we have no text-based format support at all in there yet), it has TOC and directory support, though. Highlighting might be supported in one of the next releases, but it's not there yet either.

Duokan also has a nice PDF reader, I'm not sure if it does highlighting or TOC, though. It has PDF reflow, AFAIK. Duokan is nice for epub, but I prefer Coolreader3 for that. However, I'm not so sure if Coolreader3 supports the DX. And Duokan has Directory support.

It took me a longer time to settle for some specific software, so I suggest you go and try yourself. While I can very much understand that you want to make an informed decision, I still don't think there's a one-fits-all strategy here.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #492
zxcvbs
zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zxcvbs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k3
Hi i have a kindle Dx Graphite 2.58, if i upgrade it to 3.x version.
Can i put Duokan 2012 (not lite) on it?

Also i have a kindle 3 3g keyboard with Duokan 2012 installed.

Thanks.

Cant install duokan(>520 release), and k3 binaries are not supported. Im rolling back to 2.5.8. I think that the problem is to rely on duokan a closed source software. We have debian to develop on.

Update 2:

After restoring with update_restore-os.bin to get 2.5.8 back, cant install on it jailbreak, neither usbnetwork, the i rollback to 3.2.1 and usbnetwork is fine.
Sorry i forgot to backup usbnet folder, now its working back on 2.5.8. just cp usbnet folder to the kindle device /mnt/us/ and apply usbnetwork patch.

Last edited by zxcvbs; 04-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.
zxcvbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #493
bloor
bloor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.2.1
Hey Guys,

3.2.1 with DXG here. Stuck on network mode; would anyone be able to provide the default launchpad combination to switch back to mass storage mode?

-Thanks
bloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #494
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
First of all: 3.2.1 on DXG: Many thanks, works great...
[On the shifting lines problem when highlighting in DXG: I think that is not the fault of DXG; the same thing happens on K3 on some OCR'd pdfs. (it is less noticed probably as K3 is used less to read OCR'd pdfs).]

My question: how did you manage to install usbnetwork on a DXG running 3.2.1? Which installation file did you use?

I did a jailbreak with "update_jailbreak_0.5.1_dxg_install" then installed usbnetwork with "update_usbnetwork_0.37.N_dxg_install" (both files are available on mobileread) but still cannot get the DXG to be recognized as network. [I followed the following instructions: So, on the home page of DXG:
Press Del, type ;debugOn and press Return*
Press Del, type `usbNetwork and press Return†
Press Del, type ;debugOff and press Return.]

---I was hoping to get the vncviewer to work eventually: instructions are here http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html ]

Last edited by mrevent; 05-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #495
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mrevent: The usbNetwork private command is broken (dunno why, and don't have a DXG to fix it) in the FW 3.x on DX-G case. Use launchpad/kite.

If someone could attach an usbnet install log file (usbnet/usbnetwork_install.log), or check what /test/bin/usbnetwork points to (or if it's a proper file, and not a symlink), that might help fix it once and for all.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-06-2012 at 08:52 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote