Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 03:26 PM   #16
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think you are seeing the same error as:
Yes indeed, that is the same error, and I fixed it the same way, by changing the wrapper script in /usr/local bin.

Thank you!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:46 PM   #17
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. It's the same problem.

Either comment out the setting of QTLIB_DIR in Sigil's launch script (/usr/local/bin/sigil) as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...73#post4373073

Or use my self-contained Python AppImage for Sigil's plugin interpreter that has all of Sigil's needs installed. Download sigil-qt6-python3.11_x86_64.AppImage from the asset list at https://github.com/dougmassay/appima...ag/2023.11.2-1, save it somewhere you'll remember, mark it as executable and set it as the interpreter in Sigil's plugin preferences.

The 2nd solution will work after rebuilds/updates/reinstalls, but the first solution will need to be redone after every new rebuild/update/reinstall.

I really wish Debian/Ubuntu would commit to providing a PySide6 package in their repos like other distros are doing. It would make all of this unnecessary.
Ah, I was working on the launch script thing from KevinH's reply and missed this.

I changed the script back to the way it was and followed your instructions for the Appimage. Works perfectly! Thank you.

I have a feeling I've loaded a lot more than strictly needed in all this, but I've learned a lot, so it's all good!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2024, 06:03 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for letting me know it works for you. I made the AppImage because more and more distros are preventing users from installing python modules into the system Python using pip (without jumping through a hoop). So without a distro packaged version of PySide6, the only option those users have is to create a virtual python environment. I don't have the time (and probably not the patience if I'm honest!) to provide that level of support/documentation. Hence the AppImage.

The only downside is that you if you require any different modules for custom plugins, you might have to switch to the system interpreter to run them. Not terrible, but not great either.

Building PySide6 is a pretty straightforward process (and has a lot of customizable options). I'm not sure why Debian/Ubuntu is not providing a package for it in their repos. But it would solve a ton of problems if they would.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-07-2024 at 06:23 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:28 PM   #19
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Creating an AppImage is clearly a step forward for Linux users who are not lucky enough to use a "safe" distro (no names!). Thanks for it.

I had to use an unrelated python script some days ago and I failed using pip. Launching a virtual environment is a PITA. But there was a suggestion to use pipx, and indeed it solved my problem.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:29 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Creating an AppImage is clearly a step forward for Linux users who are not lucky enough to use a "safe" distro (no names!). Thanks for it.

I had to use an unrelated python script some days ago and I failed using pip. Launching a virtual environment is a PITA. But there was a suggestion to use pipx, and indeed it solved my problem.
Yes. Pipx has its uses. But it's really only for Python applications. If there are no entry points defined in the python module to create console scripts from, pipx won't do anything .

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-10-2024 at 09:33 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert