Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 09:06 AM   #1
Rasyr
Rasyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil & Bootstrap

Are there any instructions or guidelines for how to include Bootstrap in epubs made in Sigil?

Yes, I understand that some readers may not support it, but I would still like to know how to do it.

Thank you in advance!
Rasyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:56 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You might start by clueing us in as to what "Bootstrap" might be.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 10:47 AM   #3
Rasyr

Bootstrap 5 is the newest version of Bootstrap, which is the most popular HTML, CSS, and JavaScript framework for creating responsive, mobile-first websites.

https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap5/index.php

I did find an earlier thread that mentioned it, but that was like from 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:59 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
An epub is not a website in a "box" as epubs require OPF xml documents for control and the Nav and the code to produce is xhtml not html. That said Sigil supports css and javascript (when enabled in its Preferences) so you could try playing around with it. But the number of javascript related e-readers are quite limited.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:05 AM   #5
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
The previous thread is still relevant. No reader will handle all the capabilities of bootstrap, so most of its features won't be useful.

When creating ebooks one of the guiding principles is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) and using bootstrap for this is the exact opposite.

But if you insist...

You can easily prepare the file itself.
1. download the latest version of booststrap
2. extract the two files (bootstrap.min.css and bootstrap.min.js)
3. add them to Sigil
4. add references to these files in the xhtml file.

It will look simpler like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
  <title></title>
  <link href="../Styles/bootstrap.min.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
</head>
<body>
  <script src="../Misc/bootstrap.min.js"></script>
</body>
</html>
It doesn't make much sense to me, but perhaps you have a specific target audience for such files and they will only be read on a computer.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 11:18 AM   #6
Rasyr

I am interested in some of its built in CSS formatting possibilities, not the javascript side of things. (i.e. short-cutting have to enter all those CSS styles manually...)
Old 01-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #7
Rasyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
The previous thread is still relevant. No reader will handle all the capabilities of bootstrap, so most of its features won't be useful.

When creating ebooks one of the guiding principles is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) and using bootstrap for this is the exact opposite.

But if you insist...

You can easily prepare the file itself.
1. download the latest version of booststrap
2. extract the two files (bootstrap.min.css and bootstrap.min.js)
3. add them to Sigil
4. add references to these files in the xhtml file.

It will look simpler like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
  <title></title>
  <link href="../Styles/bootstrap.min.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
</head>
<body>
  <script src="../Misc/bootstrap.min.js"></script>
</body>
</html>
It doesn't make much sense to me, but perhaps you have a specific target audience for such files and they will only be read on a computer.
Thank you!! That is quite likely exactly what I need to do!
Old 01-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
So all it is a set of pre-done css and pre-done javascript? Why not just create your own css template if not interested in the javascript part.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:10 PM   #9
Rasyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So all it is a set of pre-done css and pre-done javascript? Why not just create your own css template if not interested in the javascript part.
easier to use pre-made elements rather than try to figure it all out myself.

Plus, this way, I can see what elements will work to see how far I can push thing (one main thing is styling tables and such, since I am planning on putting the table-top rpg I have written into epub format to give gamers another method of utilizing the game.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:56 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasyr View Post
easier to use pre-made elements rather than try to figure it all out myself.

Plus, this way, I can see what elements will work to see how far I can push thing (one main thing is styling tables and such, since I am planning on putting the table-top rpg I have written into epub format to give gamers another method of utilizing the game.
Pushing it is fraught with product returns (is selling).
So many device vendors think they are Burger King ('Have it our way' ) and implement either a portion, not support, or override your code.

Just read a bunch of more recent posts (device forum, Calibre and Sigil) and you will see: does not work on XYZ
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote