Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-09-2023, 05:48 PM   #1
moshewiener
moshewiener began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
can't save sigil epubfile

I uses Sigil version 2.0.2 When I try to save the epub, I get error message "File not found" with the name of the EPUB file untitles.epub
moshewiener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Uses File >Save As to provide a name for an epub that was built from scratch that never had an actual file path associated with it.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2023, 11:51 PM   #3
moshewiener

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Uses File >Save As to provide a name for an epub that was built from scratch that never had an actual file path associated with it.
Thank for the reply. Yet, this is was I've been doing and get the error message of not found file. Maybe I'm missing a step of explicitly creating the EPUB prior to saving it?
I'm also unable to save any .XHTML file of the book.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:21 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshewiener View Post
Thank for the reply. Yet, this is was I've been doing and get the error message of not found file. Maybe I'm missing a step of explicitly creating the EPUB prior to saving it?
I'm also unable to save any .XHTML file of the book.
Which OS?

Where is Sigil trying to save the epub/html files? Perhaps it's to a location to which you don't have requisite rights.

On Windows Sigil saves the empty untitled.epub to the location of most recent save - if that location no longer exists it tries to save it to the Sigil install directory… which is a no-no.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 161454.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	205105

If I start with an empty epub, I always save the end-result to the Desktop and deal with it there, i.e. rename it, move elsewhere, email it etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:07 AM   #5
moshewiener

I run a Win10 version. It appears that Sigil was unable to save files under My Documents folder. I was able to save under other subfolders of my user home folder. Maybe the reason is that this path is actually a symbolic link, or because the folder name includes spaces.
Advert
Old 12-10-2023, 06:26 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My Documents is normally a Directory Junction rather that a Directory Symbolic Link, they're not quite the same, see https://superuser.com/questions/3430...-symbolic-link

And it's normally has the Attributes Hidden and System set, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 220750.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	205107

Which explains why Sigil can't write to it.

I would avoid using My Documents and similar user home directory junction legacy artefacts. Save to the targets, or create your own Directory Symbolic Links.

Code:
C:\Users\[username]\Application Data
C:\Users\[username]\Cookies
C:\Users\[username]\Local Settings
C:\Users\[username]\My Documents
C:\Users\[username]\NetHood
C:\Users\[username]\PrintHood
C:\Users\[username]\Recent
C:\Users\[username]\SendTo
C:\Users\[username]\Start Menu
C:\Users\[username]\Templates
BR