Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
1gnition
1gnition began at the beginning.

Device: PC
How to add "Extra Titles" to my database?

When I do 'Check Library' I get extra titles. I wish to add those titles to the database. How can I do that?
1gnition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
- Note down the location they got found in, (or copy to clipboard)
- do a Open Containing Folder (I have this on my context menu for the library view) on each of the books they were found with
- Move them to a location outside of the Calibre library,
- then for each title you want to add them too, select the title in the library and use Add Books > Add Files to selected book records

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-22-2013 at 07:32 AM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
If the books that you want to add are totally new to calibre (that is, they are not already in the database at all), then just use Add Books and browse to their location.

If the book titles are already in calibre, and the metadata matches up (publisher, isbn, etc), then you can go into the Edit Metada screen and in the upper right portion, Add Format and then browse to the file location.

In either case calibre will copy the file into it's library structure.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
I'm not sure why in the "Check Library -- Problems Found" dialog box, it doesn't allow "fixing" "Extra titles."
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
I'm not sure why in the "Check Library -- Problems Found" dialog box, it doesn't allow "fixing" "Extra titles."
one possibility:
Make a note of them.
Move them out to a Temp location,
Then repeat check the Library till you have them all

Then Add them back (the traditional way)

Another possibility (not tested) BACKUP your Library folder FIRST

Use the Library Maintenance REBUILD option
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Another possibility (not tested) BACKUP your Library folder FIRST

Use the Library Maintenance REBUILD option
Oh, yes! I forgot about this option. thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Oh, yes! I forgot about this option. thanks
Another option but only recommended with smaller libraries as it will take a long time on a large library but it actually is the best way and would catch all the missing titles etc.
Press the calibre library button go to switch calibre library then select the third option of moving current library to a new location. Move it to the new location run library maintenance it should be clean.
All the extra titles will be left behind in the old location and you can add them.
Dopedangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Geremia
Addict

I wonder why restoring the database takes so long. I have about 1300 titles. And Calibre only uses <5% of my CPU when restoring.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder why restoring the database takes so long. I have about 1300 titles. And Calibre only uses <5% of my CPU when restoring.
File system activity.
Every Library folder is scanned, the OPF read, database entries made, Formats verified, database updated
This is not CPU intensive like a conversion
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
what theducks wrote

I just rebuilt a database for a 986 book library in 2m 51s. I used Calibre 1.30 (64bit), Windows 7-SP1, internal hard disk, NTFS. According to the Windows Resources monitor the 1st stage (quickest for me) was more cpu intensive than the other 2 stages, the 2nd and 3rd stages were Disk IO bound with very low CPU usage.

Which version of calibre are you using ?
Which OS are you using ?
On what media is your library stored ?
Which file system is it?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Geremia
Addict

Well, my database seems faster now (faster searches etc.), even though it took awhile to rebuild it.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well, my database seems faster now (faster searches etc.), even though it took awhile to rebuild it.
When you run library maintenance, it has a cleaning step as part of phase1.
Every key fields value that changes, can end up with records flagged for discard . Until you run the Maint. tool, those are just extra baggage slowly piling up.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
Geremia
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
When you run library maintenance, it has a cleaning step as part of phase1.
Every key fields value that changes, can end up with records flagged for discard . Until you run the Maint. tool, those are just extra baggage slowly piling up.
By "library maintenance", you mean only the "Restore Database" option under that menu, right?

Thanks for the explanation; I was wondering if I was just imaganing things.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
By "library maintenance", you mean only the "Restore Database" option under that menu, right?

Thanks for the explanation; I was wondering if I was just imaganing things.
NO!

Run Check Library
Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 AM   #15
Geremia
Addict

Very strange
A record from my Calibre library went missing, and some other issues popped up after running "Check Library," and this is even after I had restored the database. Basically, some of the recent titles and formats on older books I added are now missing from the DB. I'm restoring it again. I wonder what's going on? Perhaps it's my ext4 filesystem, which seems to want to overstep itself; I should probably force fsck it…

Last edited by Geremia; 04-02-2014 at 02:19 AM.