Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-03-2023, 07:24 AM   #46
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there's no reason to use vw/h when % works. Why use vw/h when it might not work and % will work?
I’m pretty sure I specifically said that it was what I used, but that if it didn’t work to change it to percent.

This is called ‘troubleshooting' Jon…
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:20 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I’m pretty sure I specifically said that it was what I used, but that if it didn’t work to change it to percent.

This is called ‘troubleshooting' Jon…
But as @Interrobang said, it didn't work with ADE (older version). So it's best to use what works with older and newer software. Your saying it's what you use may get some to use the code and then have it fail.

vw/h does not work on the version of RMSDK on a Kobo and a lot of people on MR have one and do use ePub. So it's best to go with % and it's best that your sample code does as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #48
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
If kobo barfs on the vw/vh, first off - complain to kobo and tell them to get their act in gear
Kindle also doesn't appear to support vw or vh, based on the list of what is supported by any CSS property that needs a length:
Code:
mm, in, cm, px, pt, %, em, rem, ex
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #49
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
But as @Interrobang said, it didn't work with ADE (older version). So it's best to use what works with older and newer software. Your saying it's what you use may get some to use the code and then have it fail.

vw/h does not work on the version of RMSDK on a Kobo and a lot of people on MR have one and do use ePub. So it's best to go with % and it's best that your sample code does as well.
My saying it's what I use is specifically that. I don't use a kobo... The readers of this thread are welcome to read and use common sense. If it doesn't work on their target device, then they can change it.....which is what I said....

Unlike some here, Jon, I don't expect people to do things the way I do it...and then get all upset if they don't. I offer solutions...it is up to the reader to make sure my solution works for their situation before using it.

Using % does NOT work all the time. I do NOT use % because it was creating a problem that was solved when I used vw/vh. I don't care about older software or devices. My software handles vh/vw just fine.

Last edited by Turtle91; 07-03-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Kindle also doesn't appear to support vw or vh, based on the list of what is supported by any CSS property that needs a length:
Code:
mm, in, cm, px, pt, %, em, rem, ex
While we try to accommodate basic compatibility with conversion to Kindlebooks wherever possible, Sigil is firstly concerned with creating spec-compliant EPUBs. We have no interest in making Sigil EPUBs work in all of the various scenarios where Amazon chooses to ignore, avoid, and/or cherry-pick the EPUB spec in their Kindlebook publishing guidelines. Sigil is first and foremost an EPUB editor. Those using the EPUBs Sigil creates as Kindlebook source-code will ultimately be responsible for tweaking things to work as expected when converting to Kindlebook formats.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-03-2023 at 11:27 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:09 AM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I use the following - I have it set as a template so Sigil uses it when I click on Tools/Add Cover

If kobo barfs on the vw/vh, first off - complain to kobo and tell them to get their act in gear , second, just change them back to 100% (or 98% if you are having overflow issues)

Let us know if that works on your device(s) as well!
My Kobo's don't barf on the vw/vh, they just throw it in the bit bucket. I do use 100% and my Kobos are happy with that so I'm not going to change my workflow for now.

The usual issues with renderers doing their own damn thing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 11:50 AM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Jon, what I will use in an ebook edited for my use and what I will use in an ebook intended for distribution are often very different. I suspect most people who are editing ebooks for distribution know the differences between their target software/devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #53
Interrobang
Oracle Pig Keeper
Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Tab
With regard to using percent in the height and width declaration (e.g. 100%), I found this article rather informative on the subject.

Contained within are these nuggets of information:

Quote:
...setting the width to 100% before removing the margins will cause the body element to overflow. Here's the CSS reset I use:
Code:
* { 
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    box-sizing: border-box;
}
For this reason, I now make sure my margin and padding values are BEFORE any height ones.

Quote:
This example uses vh (viewport height) units to allow the body to set a minimum height value based upon the full height of the viewport.
Code:
body { min-height: 100vh; }
I'm going to try this in my test file and see what happens.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this. I'll keep researching this and update you with my findings.
Interrobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interrobang View Post
With regard to using percent in the height and width declaration (e.g. 100%), I found this article rather informative on the subject.

Contained within are these nuggets of information:

For this reason, I now make sure my margin and padding values are BEFORE any height ones.

I'm going to try this in my test file and see what happens.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this. I'll keep researching this and update you with my findings.
You don't need any of this for eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-03-2023 at 01:51 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:10 PM   #55
Interrobang
Oracle Pig Keeper
Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Interrobang , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Tab
Quote:
You don't need any of this for eBooks.
Why not? I'm curious what you're basing that statement on. Is it for technical reasons? If so, please share what you know on the subject.

Maybe on a related note, when I tried that code my image was smaller. Most HTML code guidelines do carry over to epubs, as far as I have read, but it's the areas that don't that seem poorly documented. I won't know what works best until I've tried all the various combinations.

Must be nice to be a large publisher with a room filled with coders, each with specific knowledge about the device they specialize in...

Early on in this adventure, I came across the Blitz CSS Reset for epub. They did all the work on tweaking settings for each device. Too bad the project ended in 2020. It would have been a nice toolbox for someone like me just getting started.
Interrobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
Knock it off Jon (JSWolf). Your pet rants and insistence on things being done your way are not welcome here.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 03:09 PM   #57
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Using % does NOT work all the time. I do NOT use % because it was creating a problem that was solved when I used vw/vh.
This is likely because % and vh/vw do not mean the same thing. % means a percentage of the immediately enclosing block element's bounding box. vh/vw is supposed to be a percentage of the whole screen, although some renderers/devices might ignore the minimum outer margin that the device forces.

Full-page images (like covers) using SVG don't have a lot of extra CSS blocks around them, and what your code shows should have 0 margin from the edge of the screen, but there can be CSS in the user-agent-stylesheet that is taking effect.

It's tough to know if you can't inspect the element and figure out what is getting applied.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #58
igorbessa
igorbessa began at the beginning.

Device: MacOS
Problem with ADE - Windows version

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hmm ... perhaps the ADE bug is platform specific?
I can assume so. I tested my epub on ADE 4.5.12.85 for MacOS and version 4.5.12.112 on Windows 11.
On Mac and all other readers I tested, the setting for the cover image not to exceed the height of the viewport was ok, but in ADE on Windows the cover image appears cropped.

Would this option of including the image in an SVG container be viable to solve this problem?
igorbessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:51 PM   #59
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The ADE bug this thread is talking about has already had a workaround added to Sigil. Have you tried the svg code added by Sigil 2.0.1 as it should include the workaround.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:00 PM   #60
CrankyLamb
CrankyLamb began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
You're right; it's not a bug in Sigil � it's a bug in ADE from � I think � version 4 and up. It renders SVG-covers very small, but I've found that putting

style="height:98vh;"

(the "98" can be any percentage) into the SVG-code forces ADE to render it correctly, and doesn't seem to bother other readers. It only works by putting it directly in the SVG-code.

Sample:

<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
style="height:98vh;" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1650 2200"
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"> <image width="1650" height="2200"
xlink:href="../Images/hawthorne-det_roede_bogstav.jpg"/>

(the code may not be "state of THE art", just state of MY art )

Regards

Kim
I'm having a problem in Calibre & ADE that this thread seems to have found the solution for.

Yesterday I reported in this thread that:

"Many of my eBooks have cover photos that appear too large, too small (thumbnail), and/or are not positioned at the center of the page."

A perfect cover page for me looks like this:

1. It is placed at the center
2. It fits the entire page

I was trying to find a solution to fix that in Calibre to no avail, until I came across this thread. I replaced the height and width % with vh and vw respectively, and it seems to work now.

The question is for how long? Will applying this fix cause me some problems later on? Say when ADE gets an update and fixes this bug?

I'd appreciate your opinion.

PS: I know nothing about code, and I'm a complete newbie.
CrankyLamb is offline   Reply With Quote