Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #1
hhtmp88
hhtmp88 began at the beginning.

Device: Dasung Not-eReader
Is it good to create ePub3 ebooks now?

Dear all,

I noted that the default setting of "Create New ePubs" in Sigil 2.0.2 is still "Version 2"
-> see attached screen capture

Is it good to create ePub3 ebooks now?
or should I better keep using ePub2 format?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil_Preferences.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	205012  
hhtmp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:03 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think it's fine to use epub3. It's what I prefer. I also think it's a personal choice that should be freely made. Feel free to ignore JSWolf if he comes and suggests not using epub3. His reasoning against epub3 is neither sound, nor rational.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
MARKET PLACE
Who is your customer? Selling an EPUB3 to folk (like me )Who have older devices that do not support EPUB3 runs the risk of losing customers.

My basic Q is: Do you NEED a feature of EPUB3 to render your work?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 01:58 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If it's for yourself and epub3 works for you, and you want it, then use epub3.
If it's for publishing via normal retail channels then stick to what works for those retailers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 07:23 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For the vast majority of ePub3 books, if you generate the toc.ncx (optional for backwards compatibility), very few people will see any differences. Personally, I tend to prefer generating ePub3 books due to the improvements in accessibility but that may not be relevant to your uses.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:23 AM   #6
hhtmp88
hhtmp88 began at the beginning.

Device: Dasung Not-eReader
Thanks all for your comments!
hhtmp88 is offline   Reply With Quote