Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
2nise
2nise began at the beginning.

Device: TolinoVision 4HD
save template and collections/folders

Hey everyone,

I just got a new e-book reader and wanted to transfer my collection, but I'm having some trouble to get things to show up exactly how I want it.
I'm switching from an old Kobo Touch to a Tolino Vision 4 HD - which, as far as I know, should work just like a Kobo device. It also has collections/shelves, similar to Kobo readers.

What I want to achieve:
If a book is part of a series, I want calibre to create a folder/collection with that series as the name and put all the books in there.
If a book isn't part of a series, I instead want them to be sorted into folders/collections by their tag(s), e.g.'oneshots'.

The series folders are created just fine, but books that aren't part of a series aren't put into any collections.
I played aroun with the "ifempty" function, but couldn't get it to work.

My collection is currently sorted like this on my old device, so I know it is possible. But I have since reset my computer, so I can't take a look at my old config. And as far as I remember, calibre just sorted it like this automatically anyway.
I feel like this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, so I'm probably missing something obvious. I'd be greateful for any help, and thanks in advance!
2nise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nise View Post
Hey everyone,

I just got a new e-book reader and wanted to transfer my collection, but I'm having some trouble to get things to show up exactly how I want it.
I'm switching from an old Kobo Touch to a Tolino Vision 4 HD - which, as far as I know, should work just like a Kobo device. It also has collections/shelves, similar to Kobo readers.
The only real similarity between a tolino and a Kobo is that they both allow you to read books. The way they do this is very different. As is they way they do collections.

In a Kobo, the collections are stored in a database. That shows what books are in what collections. The driver can maintain this.

For the tolino, the shelf is directory. If you create a subdirectory in the books directory, and put books in it, that directory will be used as a shelf.
Quote:
What I want to achieve:
If a book is part of a series, I want calibre to create a folder/collection with that series as the name and put all the books in there.
If a book isn't part of a series, I instead want them to be sorted into folders/collections by their tag(s), e.g.'oneshots'.

The series folders are created just fine, but books that aren't part of a series aren't put into any collections.
I played aroun with the "ifempty" function, but couldn't get it to work.

My collection is currently sorted like this on my old device, so I know it is possible. But I have since reset my computer, so I can't take a look at my old config. And as far as I remember, calibre just sorted it like this automatically anyway.
I feel like this shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, so I'm probably missing something obvious. I'd be greateful for any help, and thanks in advance!
Using "ifempty" is probably the way to go. Can you post the save template as you have it? The starting point will help to get it right.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
There is also a Tolino sub-forum that might be able to help you out with any specific Tolino questions:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=279
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
2nise
2nise began at the beginning.

Device: TolinoVision 4HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The only real similarity between a tolino and a Kobo is that they both allow you to read books. [...]
I see. Since Kobo is helping create the Tolinos since a few years ago, and the readers do look quite similar (both in hardware and software), so I just assumed they'd function similarly, too. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Using "ifempty" is probably the way to go. Can you post the save template as you have it? The starting point will help to get it right.
I've tired different version of this:
{series:ifempty('tags')}

I've tried using field(tags) in the ifempty bracket, as well as different versions using the apostrophe/not using them. I also tried using a predefined text/folder and custom field instead of the tags field, but no difference.
I assume it's just a dumb syntax error from me misunderstanding the template language, but I honestly am out of ideas now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
There is also a Tolino sub-forum that might be able to help you out with any specific Tolino questions:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=279
I didn't even see this, thanks for the link, I'll check it out later! Tho I do think my current problem is more of a library management thing and me messing up the syntax, and not necessarily a Tolino-related problem.
2nise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nise View Post
I see. Since Kobo is helping create the Tolinos since a few years ago, and the readers do look quite similar (both in hardware and software), so I just assumed they'd function similarly, too. Thanks for the correction.
Kobo own a chunk of tolino and are sharing hardware. But, the firmware is completely different.
Quote:
I've tired different version of this:
{series:ifempty('tags')}

I've tried using field(tags) in the ifempty bracket, as well as different versions using the apostrophe/not using them. I also tried using a predefined text/folder and custom field instead of the tags field, but no difference.
I assume it's just a dumb syntax error from me misunderstanding the template language, but I honestly am out of ideas now
You can try:

Code:
{:'ifempty(field("series"),field("tags"))'}
But, I don't think it will do what you really want. That will create a collection for each combination of tags you have in the books.

The following will use just the first tag for each book:
Code:
{:'ifempty(field("series"),list_item(field("tags"),1,","))'}
And the following won't sort the tag list first:
Code:
{:'ifempty(field("series"),list_item(raw_field("tags"),1,","))'}
If you wanted to use single collection for all non-series book, you can use:

Code:
{series:ifempty(non-series)}
Hopefully one of those will work, or give you an idea of what to do.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote