Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
mcmurphy
mcmurphy began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Downloading books

Hi everyone. Well I bought a Nook and love it. Of course I have a few questions about using it, please forgive me if these questions have been asked before.

I live in North Central Ohio and have a very sketchy 3G signal here, so I have trouble downloading books. I also live about 30 miles from my nearest Barnes and Noble store which makes it hard to go there to get books. What are my options? Is it possible to download books onto my computer and transfer them to my Nook?

Thanks for any help. Mike
mcmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Go to McDonalds and use their free AT&T wifi if you don't have wifi at home.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Oh, yes, you can download your books to your computer and sideload them. Go to the B&N website and download the B&N e-reader software for PC. Then download your books using that. Connect your nook to your computer using the USB. Then copy your books from the My Documents (or Documents on Vista)/My BN ebooks directory on your computer to the My Documents directory on your nook. This puts your books on the My Documents Library rather than the My B&N Library on the nook, though; I think you lose cover flow and the book sorting is a little different.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmurphy View Post
Hi everyone. Well I bought a Nook and love it. Of course I have a few questions about using it, please forgive me if these questions have been asked before.

I live in North Central Ohio and have a very sketchy 3G signal here, so I have trouble downloading books. I also live about 30 miles from my nearest Barnes and Noble store which makes it hard to go there to get books. What are my options? Is it possible to download books onto my computer and transfer them to my Nook?

Thanks for any help. Mike
hi McMurphey, congratulations on your Nook

To first answer your question, yes you can download them onto your computer and sideload them.

also what are you using for an internet connection? Are you using dial up or cable or dsl? If you aren't using dial up you should think about hooking up a wireless router for wi fi connection.
they can be had for pretty cheap nowadays. Some can go for around $30 or so.

I think that would be your best bet in the long run.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Mike. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert