Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question Researching for months

I have been wanting to be an ebook reader for months, but I can't decide which one I like the best... Here is my dilema:

1) I want to be able to read newspapers / magazines and books

2) I understand that no reader will display PDFs really well, but I would like to be able to choose the one that does this the best

3) I hate the fact that every time you do a page turn, the screen flashes like it's going to crash before it pops up the next page. I guess I just need to comes to terms with this - it seems to be the fact with ALL readers.

4) I think 6" is a decent size screen and would not want anything larger

5) I would like a built in dictionary

6) It needs to work in Canada

7) I travel mostly on public transport, where occasionally I am standing. So I should be able to hold the device and do page turns with one hand.

Here is what I don't like about each of the ones I am looking at:

1) Sony PRS-600 - I don't like the way the screen looks. I feel like it's not as sharp as others (even compared to the PRS-300) - I know it's because of the touch screen. It's too reflective. Can you read books from Amazon, B&N and/or Chapters on it?

2) Nook - I have been reading that it's quite sluggish. Does it work in Canada? Most people are saying to wait for the second generation... But I don't really want to wait much longer.

3) Kindle - I hate the way it looks - so I'm not even considering it. I actually bought it from someone and decided to sell it because I really just didn't like it.

4) Bebook Neo - seems to be the one that "fits the bill", but it's so expensive!! After shipping, taxes, etc... This is over $400 CND. I think that its a bit much! Can you do page turns with one hand?

5) Sony PRS-300 - No dictionary, no expansion, no mp3.

I'd like something SLEEK.

Is there one that fits all this? Or am I asking for the impossible?? Is the Neo really my only answer? Help!

sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think you know your answer from reading, just dont think you want to spend the money it sounds like

4) Bebook Neo - seems to be the one that "fits the bill", but it's so expensive!! After shipping, taxes, etc... This is over $400 CND. I think that its a bit much! Can you do page turns with one hand?
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerio6414 View Post
I think you know your answer from reading, just dont think you want to spend the money it sounds like

Well, I did have a few questions for the Neo... Can I do page turns easily while holding it with one hand? How does it handle PDFs? Can it read Amazon/B&N/Chapters ebooks? Is it compatible with Audible.com audio books?

Is the Neo worth the extra cash??
Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx666 View Post
I'd like something SLEEK.
I suggest the PocketBook 360. It has a 5" screen, but otherwise fits your requirements perfectly. It is very customizable, has good PDF capability, and comes with a built in cover.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi sphinx666,

Your list seems like a reasonable one. However, it might still be up to 2-5 years yet before you see your ideal solution.

In my opinion, the current crop of readers are reasonably poor value for money. Most of them still have roughly the appeal of a 1950s black and white TV set. I’m sure that when we look back in 5 years time they will look as primitive as the early cell phones now seem, and as ridiculously overpriced and under-functional too. That’s the reality of how it goes with new gadgets.

However, if there were no early adopters who were prepared to work through the relatively crummy beginnings, then emerging technologies wouldn’t survive. So it boils down to whether you want to wait until the devices are better value for money, or whether you decide to dive in now and pay for something that’s, frankly, still pretty mediocre.

It not just that the devices are a bit on the ordinary side, it’s that the battle to control access to content (which is what really matters) is a long way from being sorted out. My e-ink reader does an OK job of displaying the basic text of novels (not a great job, but at least it’s acceptable for now) but it’s lousy for technical PDFs, magazines etc and it suffers from the same restrictions that they all do when it comes to how and where you can buy the content and whether you can share it in any sort of normally accepted way with your friends. There are understandable reasons for the limitations, but that doesn’t make them any less irritating.

If I rated my dedicated reader by the same standards that I’d apply to a mature technology I’d say it was rubbish. It’s over-priced and primitive.

However, as I enjoy mucking around with new gadgets and don’t mind paying a bit over the odds to try out new experiences, then I’d say that I’ve already had enough hours of entertainment from it.

It rather depends on which camp you’re in Do you want to jump on the bus now (and have a relatively basic and costly ride) or wait for a year or two until the buses are more comfortable and the tickets cheaper??

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by ChrisC333; 04-26-2010 at 01:12 AM.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
No device will read Sony/Kobo/B&N (aka 'epub') AND Amazon books unless you tinker.

It sounds like you might enjoy the upcoming Kobo reader. As okay handling of PDF as any device of that size, sleek, pretty, can be read one-handed and can handle epub from the major sources. Plus it will be available retail at Indigo in Canada. Sync books onto it via USB or bluetooth. And only $150. It has its limitations (the early version I saw was a little glitchy and did not have the magazine and newspaper stuff enabled yet) but imho on aesthetics, it wins. It reads from the major sources. And it is light and easy to use. At its price point, your other choices are the Aluratek Libre (retail at Future Shop) which cannot be read one-handed as comfortably and is very ugly, or the Sony Pocket which is over-priced and does not support justification of the text when reading epub.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx666 View Post
Well, I did have a few questions for the Neo... Can I do page turns easily while holding it with one hand? How does it handle PDFs? Can it read Amazon/B&N/Chapters ebooks? Is it compatible with Audible.com audio books?

Is the Neo worth the extra cash??
PERSONALLY I think the Neo is worth the money. Whether it's worth it for you is, of course something that only you can decide.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can easily turn the page one-handed.

2. It has extremely good PDF support but, as has been stated, no 6" device will handle large-screen PDFs well.

3. The only DRM formats supports are (like most readers) ePub and PDF, so that means that (like most readers) it won't display books from Amazon or B&N. ePub is THE standard for eBooks, and using it means that you are NOT tied to any one eBook store, as you are (to a large extent) with the Kindle and nook.

4. It plays MP3 files, which I guess means that it can handle audible books? Not being a customer of theirs, though, I wouldn't know. No eBook reader, though, makes a good MP3 player; even the cheapest dedicated player does it a lot better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
You know, you may like to give a thought to the Pocketbook 301+. Any Pocketbook model can already have a solution (even if it's a third party one as far as I know) which allows you to disables the flashing of the screen (i.e. the FBReader mod there exists for it). When I saw I could adjust the "flashing time" to "never", I was a happier man. I don't mind the flashing when it comes to menus and so on, but while I'm reading it distracts me.

It sports a built-in dictionary and you can choose which you desire to use, it features a nice PDF support, though the screen size is still 6'', and it's not bulky at all.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
sphinx666

@wallcraft - i'm not sure how i feel about the 5" screen. it also doesn't have mp3, so if i'm going to spend the money, i should probably just upgrade to the Neo, i think.

@ChrisC333 - thanks for the insight. now i don't feel so bad about how frustrating this experience is. with how far we've come with technology, i'm so surprised by the limitations of the ereaders. i've never spent this much time doing research for any tech product! i feel like i'm buying a car. lol... out of curousity - which reader do you own?

@ficbot - i have been considering the Kobo as well. for the price point and the fact that i can just as easily shop at chapters with it is a sell for me. i'm just waiting for it to be released and talk to people who actually own it. i can imagine if the nook is sluggish, then the kobo would probably be just as slow. also the lack of newspaper/magazine support is a major con.

@HarryT - so maybe i'm having trouble understanding the DRM support stuff. what does Amazon / B&N use? I don't think audible is mp3. but just having the mp3 feature would be cool, so i can eliminate the ipod on the way to work.

@Logseman - i have looked at this device online. i can't remember what my cons were this one, so i will have to "reinvestigate". stop the flashing???? wow... that is great. thanks for the tip - i will look into this one again.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
3) I hate the fact that every time you do a page turn, the screen flashes like it's going to crash before it pops up the next page. I guess I just need to comes to terms with this - it seems to be the fact with ALL readers.
Cybooks have an option to disable the flash.
Personally, at first the flash was anoying, but you get used to it. And I hated how unclean the screen looks without it even more than the flash.

Quote:
You know, you may like to give a thought to the Pocketbook 301+.
Gen 3 is the same than 301, i I never was able to hold it single handed. 6" in generals get eavy to do that.
But trying to read pdf on 5" is a bit of mess....
Do the PocketBooks have reflow ?

Neo or PRS-600, because they have 6" tactile, should be best for you. (Assuming tactile screen can be used to scroll on pdf's....)

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-26-2010 at 09:24 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
After having gone through a similar process I have come to the conclusion that buying your first ebook reader is more like choosing a life partner than buying a gadget. You can start off with a list of requirements, but if you stick too closely to it you'll end up single. Most potential partners meet some of the requirements but none of them meet all of them and in the end - either out of desperation or you just fancy it like mad - you go for one. Then you either click together or you don't. After a while some of the things that were endearing at the start become annoying as hell, but you begin to cherish other things that weren't even on you original list of requirements.

Of course, if you make the wrong choice, you can always change your mind - there's always someone willing to take it off your hands and you can get a different one - it might prove to be a bit expensive but you can't put a price on happiness
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
After having gone through a similar process I have come to the conclusion that buying your first ebook reader is more like choosing a life partner than buying a gadget. You can start off with a list of requirements, but if you stick too closely to it you'll end up single. Most potential partners meet some of the requirements but none of them meet all of them and in the end - either out of desperation or you just fancy it like mad - you go for one. Then you either click together or you don't. After a while some of the things that were endearing at the start become annoying as hell, but you begin to cherish other things that weren't even on you original list of requirements.

Of course, if you make the wrong choice, you can always change your mind - there's always someone willing to take it off your hands and you can get a different one - it might prove to be a bit expensive but you can't put a price on happiness

THAT is bang on!!

lol - thanks for the analogy. it helps with the decision making!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Neo or PRS-600, because they have 6" tactile, should be best for you. (Assuming tactile screen can be used to scroll on pdf's....)
I really don't like the way the screen looks on the PRS-600, and the glare is very annoying. I'm looking at the Neo and praying the price will drop

We canadians also have to pay huge DUTY charges on this stuff, so it makes the whole ordeal just a tiny bit more frustrating ... sigh...
Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Cybooks have an option to disable the flash.
Personally, at first the flash was anoying, but you get used to it. And I hated how unclean the screen looks without it even more than the flash.But trying to read pdf on 5" is a bit of mess....

Do the PocketBooks have reflow ?
1) Personally I'm very satisfied with the minimal ghosting I see on my Pocketbook. I've read hundreds of pages without it making the text hard to read. Plus, the absence of flashing probably saves battery. At any rate, the flash appears whenever you summon the menu, which at least in my case is often.

2) Yes, they do. I admit I don't read many PDF's since the majority are not adapted for small screens and thus make it uncomfortable, but the ones which you read in 6'' are perfectly read in 5.

@Sphinx666: Amazon sells its DRM'd eBooks in one ebook format, Mobi, and B&N and mostly everyone else uses a different format, ePub. Due to licensing issues, a single device can't read both formats (in their encrypted forms, that is). Kindles won't read DRM'd ePub, and Nooks won't read DRM'd Mobi.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
sphinx666

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest the PocketBook 360. It has a 5" screen, but otherwise fits your requirements perfectly. It is very customizable, has good PDF capability, and comes with a built in cover.
wallcraft - quick question. how does the screen of the 360 compare to the Sony PRS-300 (Pocket Edition)?

can you confirm that the 360 does not have mp3 support, correct?

does it have a dictionary?