Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
easyrider
easyrider began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
best way to convert PDF to ePUB - what do you think?

I found today a good way to convert PDF to ePUB
It's in 3 steps:

1. mobipocket creator: PDF -> html
2. mobipocket creator: html -> PRC
3. Calibre PRC -> ePub

That converion makes usable TOC

I use mobipocket because conversion Calibre PDF ->ePub - doesn't look good to me

I've tried almost 10 different converters today but that combiantion is the best in my opinion. What do you think ?
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have had good luck with PDF -> RTF -> EPUB. However, that might be because I have Acrobat to do the first conversion.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Melvinjames18
Melvinjames18 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tried Calibre, but lost some formats after conversion. I don't have acrobat, really out of my budget.
Melvinjames18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I've tested many converters (freeware as well as trial versions). Acrobat does the best job in my opinion in converting pdf to html/rtf. But the price is way too high. Someone please tell Adobe to make a cheaper version for home users.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I'm going through a similar process with the final output being mobi (or plain text).

So far I've tested PDF conversions going straight to mobi with mobipocket reader or Calibre, or within Calibre with intermediate steps to RTF or txt.

Regardless of which method I use, the results are all over the place.

Sometimes mobipocket reader creates the best conversion. Sometimes Calibre makes a good conversion straight to mobi and sometimes the intermediate steps may (or may not) be helpful.

And sometimes none of the variations are very effective and I end up reading a very tiny pdf display on my Kindle 2.

I think my point is that none of the methods I've tried have yielded consistent results.

(My apologies in advance for sharing experiences with a non epub endpoint. I will say that Calibre routinely makes awesome conversions from epub to mobi.)
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
Usually, I don't go through any of that. When I convert anything to ePUb, be it PDF, RTF, Lit or HTML, I'll usually put the ePub in my ITunes and copy to my IPad. IF it doesn't look good or no Content's what-so-ever for chapters, I'll just open up Sigil and add the chapter code into it. Pretty easy when you get used to it.

Usually takes me 30 minutes to make a garbled PoS book look like it was made for the IPad lol
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
ToutSuite
ToutSuite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Firepong - can you give a quick walkthrough of how to clean up ePubs in Sigil? I've also been putting them on iPad, but I've seen everything from no line breaks to not being able to change fonts. I'd like to start from scratch with PDFs, but want consistent results.

Thanks!
ToutSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Firepong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToutSuite View Post
Firepong - can you give a quick walkthrough of how to clean up ePubs in Sigil? I've also been putting them on iPad, but I've seen everything from no line breaks to not being able to change fonts. I'd like to start from scratch with PDFs, but want consistent results.

Thanks!
Truthfully, there isn't any quick ways. I've got it down to so much of a routine is why it's so fast for me.

Depending on what I have to do, is how long it takes me.

If I just have to make a contents for the book, it usually takes no more than 10 minutes (Except on Chapter intensive books. For example, the rth book of Harry Potter has 38 chapters, took me 20 min on that alone ). But if I have to do more than the contents, usually I have to take out code and re-code other parts.

Thankfully, what I have to re-code, I've got it saved in a text file so all I have to do is copy and paste if it compares to that certain situation.

The only tips I can give is to tell you HTML/XHTML and any coding in between is your friend

Cheers

P.S. I have found out that some HTML/XHTML doesn't work on the IPad though. Like the Center tags and such do not work, you have to use the calibre tags that are in the document sadely >.<
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Firepong

Also, all I have to say about you starting from scratch with PDF's. IMHO, I wish PDF was never considered as a format for eBooks. Worst formatting ever
Old 04-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepong View Post
Truthfully, there isn't any quick ways. I've got it down to so much of a routine is why it's so fast for me.

Depending on what I have to do, is how long it takes me.

If I just have to make a contents for the book, it usually takes no more than 10 minutes (Except on Chapter intensive books. For example, the rth book of Harry Potter has 38 chapters, took me 20 min on that alone ). But if I have to do more than the contents, usually I have to take out code and re-code other parts.

Thankfully, what I have to re-code, I've got it saved in a text file so all I have to do is copy and paste if it compares to that certain situation.

The only tips I can give is to tell you HTML/XHTML and any coding in between is your friend

Cheers

P.S. I have found out that some HTML/XHTML doesn't work on the IPad though. Like the Center tags and such do not work, you have to use the calibre tags that are in the document sadely >.<
I just went through breaking chapters out in a badly formatted hallows epub, now I have to fix the total mess on line breaks in a few chapters (reaching for the HB copy on my shelf).
A simple Chapter break and TOC takes about 3 min per chapter include load and save (I now save after ever split, after crashing Sigil by doing something wrong )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Firepong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I just went through breaking chapters out in a badly formatted hallows epub, now I have to fix the total mess on line breaks in a few chapters (reaching for the HB copy on my shelf).
A simple Chapter break and TOC takes about 3 min per chapter include load and save (I now save after ever split, after crashing Sigil by doing something wrong )
As long as you have your own bought copy, I can PM you my fixed copy of Hallows, if it is harry Potter were talking about here lol
Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepong View Post
As long as you have your own bought copy, I can PM you my fixed copy of Hallows, if it is harry Potter were talking about here lol
Got it in one Yes, I own the US (scholastic) version in HB.
Thanks. I will PM you my public (off board) email address .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #13
Firepong

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Got it in one Yes, I own the US (scholastic) version in HB.
Thanks. I will PM you my public (off board) email address .
Just wanted to make sure. I own the exact version.

Just don't want to get myself caught up in some copyright lawsuits here >.<
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #14
ben92
ben92 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToutSuite View Post

Thanks!
Here ya go:
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/wiki/BasicTutorial
ben92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
ToutSuite
ToutSuite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks, Ben. I actually just downloaded GoodReader for .99 from the iTunes Store. Reads PDFs, no more worries about converting anything.
ToutSuite is offline   Reply With Quote