Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
BCCISProf
Enthusiast
BCCISProf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Nook
Protected lrx not readable on Sony Reader Library 3.1?

I just downloaded the newest version of the Sony Reader Library 3.1. During the installation it automatically authorized the computer on which it is installed (I checked my account). I was surprised to see that it would not read any of the protected .lrx files that I had purchased from Sony. Instead the reader offered to re-download the books again (i assume in the new format).

However, not all of the books that I had purchased are available. Possibly as time goes on they will convert all their books, but it seems odd that they would not include the older DRM scheme in their new software for backwards compatibility.

Anyone else have the same experience or am I doing something wrong.

Thank you.
BCCISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCISProf View Post
I just downloaded the newest version of the Sony Reader Library 3.1. During the installation it automatically authorized the computer on which it is installed (I checked my account). I was surprised to see that it would not read any of the protected .lrx files that I had purchased from Sony. Instead the reader offered to re-download the books again (i assume in the new format).

However, not all of the books that I had purchased are available. Possibly as time goes on they will convert all their books, but it seems odd that they would not include the older DRM scheme in their new software for backwards compatibility.

Thank you.
I hope you they are just trying to play catch up. That would upset quite a few people if they are not able to get epub versions of old purchases and the new reader software can't access the protected LRX versions...

RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Only about 86% of all the titles that Sony sold are currently available in epub format: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16810 I assume they'll catch up and convert the rest but there's no way to know except by waiting and watching.

As to not being able to read LRX ebooks after the conversion, I can say definitely that there is no firmware upgrade for the 505, the LRX and LRF ebooks I have still show up in the PC software version 3.1, and I can still read those ebooks on my 505. I did not try to open one of the LRX ebooks with the PC software to see that it would display them but I would be shocked if that didn't still work.

As to the 500, I can't help you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
BCCISProf
Enthusiast

You can read the .lrx on the updated PRS-500. You can not read them on the PC with the new software.

I guess, I will wait a few days and see if they make progress on their conversion efforts.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Thank you.
When you installed 3.1, did you upgrade whatever the previous version was? I have LRX files that 3.1 handles fine. But when I installed 3.1, it was an upgrade to the registered copy of eBook Library.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
I installed 3.1 on my XP virtual machine (running from Parallels on a Mac) and it won't launch at all. Is anybody else having this problem?
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
BCCISProf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you installed 3.1, did you upgrade whatever the previous version was? I have LRX files that 3.1 handles fine. But when I installed 3.1, it was an upgrade to the registered copy of eBook Library.
I did upgrade the previous version (3.0). However, that was a fresh install on a fresh install of Windows 7. Thus the version 3.0 was not authorized. I am assuming that the new version only installs authorization for the new DRM.

In your case, I would imagine, that because the original version was authorized, it carried over to the new version.

Sony should have considered this and incorporated support for DRM'd .lrx, even if they have converted to the new system. Certainly, until all their books were converted for re-download.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
sydtibs
sydtibs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader 505
I have the same problem. Since I already had everything in the virtual pc mode, I was hesitant to load the Mac software and move things there. It won't launch at all now.
sydtibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
On my Win7 notebook, all the .lrx books I have installed open for me just fine in 3.1 with no suggestion that I download the epub version. But the installation I just did was on a notebook which had already been authorized to my account. Maybe that's your problem?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Thank you.

Works fine here with my existing lrx books.

Reading on the PC with the Reader Library application.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I was able to download 133 of the 163 ebooks that I bought from Sony in epub format including some of the obscure ones (including the one that I paid quite a bit for, yea!). Looking at the books that aren't available yet, my guess is most will eventually be available. For example, Empire of Ivory by Novik isn't available yet, though the other 4 books in that series are.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #12
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The Sony support said that every ebook will be availble in the epub-format in a day.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I upgraded to 3.0 and then 3.1. I can read the .lrx files I bought from Sony with the 3.1 software. I don't have my reader right now, it's on firmware upgrade vacation, so I just have my PC authorized. I did have ADE already installed, and I also use the same email address for both ADE and the Sony Store. Perhaps that's enough to make it happy with .lrx files.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
BCCISProf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSaunders View Post
I upgraded to 3.0 and then 3.1. I can read the .lrx files I bought from Sony with the 3.1 software. I don't have my reader right now, it's on firmware upgrade vacation, so I just have my PC authorized. I did have ADE already installed, and I also use the same email address for both ADE and the Sony Store. Perhaps that's enough to make it happy with .lrx files.

From all the replies, I conclude the following:

1. The PRS-500 reader after firmware update, can read .lrs, .lrx (protected) and the new .epub

2. The new version 3.1 software can read all the above, ONLY if you upgrade from earlier versions that were registered.

3. A fresh install of 3.1 can not read the .lrx (protected) formats.

4. Sony has not yet converted all of the .lrx's into .epubs. Hopefully they will do so soon.

5. It is not necessary to install ADE into a freshly installed 3.1 or onto a reader that has been updated as Sony registers the reader and the 3.1 is automatically enabled.

6. I would suspect, but I have not yet verified, that if you want to download from a public library, you probably have to install ADE manually as you need to get an account number. Perhaps someone can clarify this last point.

Thanks to all who have responded to my original query!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't think it matters if you upgrade the library software or not as far as reading lrx files, but the storage location did move so that might be what is affecting things.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote