Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
eBook Library 3.0 Mac problems

Hi,

I am having the same problem referenced by a number of people on this site: eBook Libary 3.0 lauches on my machine, but doesn't show any application window. I just get the menu bar but no activity beyond that. The application launches correctly from another user account on the same machine, so I'm guessing that the problem is caused by a corrupt preferences file somewhere in my account. I have deleted everything Sony related in ~/Library/Preferences, but to no avail -- is there a workaround that somebody knows that might help?

Thanks in advance,

Nike Vatsal
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
rchang
rchang began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
same problem

on "chat" assistance with smart soft user center.... sony seems to continue to be clueless that technology being all about the interface.

they suggested i try installing eBook Library Software on another computer because "it might be an issue with Computer also" and that "this is not a common issue" and that "The Software is tested several times by our Software Department before releasing."

oy vey. why do i continue to bother with Sony products?
rchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
MacGirlie
MacGirlie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
If you're still having this issues, you might try repairing permissions or drive. That's fixed a few problems for me with software conflicts.
MacGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I'd also check that you have chosen a "Country" that you can actually buy the reader in, eg UK, US etc. I seem to remember there were issues where it wouldn't work correctly if your Country wasn't one that the Sony is directly available from. You other user may have differently defaults set.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
nikev
Connoisseur
nikev began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Problem spontaneously resolved.

My eBook Library software mysteriously decided to start working again. I didn't do anything, it just decided to play nice by itself. However, it insists on asking permission to accept incoming connections at random time, despite permissions for this being set in the firewall.

Basically, Sony's Mac support is pretty minimal. It's not even possible to update Reader firmware on a Mac as far as I can tell, and neither is it possible to authorize the reader for Adobe DRM protected stuff.

Oh well.
nikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
OldManKris
OldManKris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59980 for a solution
OldManKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Beatlebacker
Beatlebacker doesn't litterBeatlebacker doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
There is a new v3.0 being launched this week in the US and Europe I believe which is supposed to be eliminating some of the issues mentioned. Keep your eyes open for it on a Sony site near you - but it'll be an uninstall / fresh install situation.
Beatlebacker is offline   Reply With Quote