Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
My theory is that they tried to improve the navigation in document (maybe towards 2column), but things went wrong...

Why, it is mystery for me. Being also a programmer I'll make a wild guess. They do not have their own developers, it is outsourced and the developers do not have the hardware to test the software they develop. Or they have only some ereaders, but not M92...

Otherwise they would have to be totaly under the drugs or small inexperienced kids.

It may happen there are bugs introduced and overlooked (especilally in cace of multiplatform firmware) in testing phase. But after introducing 1.7a with many bugs they didn't do thorough testing on M92 and many severe and easy to find and reproduce bugs remained. And it shouldn't happen!
Give them the time to fix these bugs
I beleive that now they feel pressured by the presence of JetBook Color and PocketBook (not sure about this one)
The healthy competition (I am hopping here that Ectaco will keep their promises) will be to our benefit in the end.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-23-2012 at 10:59 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Give them the time to fix these bugs
I beleive that now they feel pressured by the presence of JetBook Color and PocketBook (not sure about this one)
The healthy competition (I am hopping here that JetBook will keep their promises) will be to our benefit in the end.
Sure, 1.6 was OK. In the worst case I will go back to 1.6. I really like M92. And it is usable for my purpose even with 1.7b.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi guys,

Should I public any betta firmware versions for M92 here in the future?
(Sometimes I am just surprised of unexpected exorbitant negative reaction and something like spitefulness of some guys here, when they (or somebody else here) find a bug in the software.)

I was thinking, there is something like curiosity, to be the first to try out new functions and to help in developing optimal software. It is eventually just a question of a couple minutes to go back to the original stabile 1.6 and therefore no risk ...

Peace!

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
If I was an investor I would surely invest in what would be called an eInk monitor. B&W for the beginning. I would design it as a second monitor for any desktop computer or laptop. If the user needs colors, multimedia and so on the monitors we all use today are far better. If the user needs reading then use this second eInk monitor. But hey, I am not an investor (I would not need to read this much if I was one ) so I can only pray for that eInk to show up on the market asap. I am quite sure that somebody out there is already working on it, the opportunity is too big to miss, only the technical obstacles to make that usable are big.
I am sharing your opinion more or less.
I wonder why the Entourage Edge had to give up. They came much closer than anybody else to a solution.
Should the M92 improve I might give it another try.
But I still hope some major player takes the risk to enter this market segment in a big way and reasonable prices.
Keep on reading ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi guys,
(Sometimes I am just surprised of unexpected exorbitant negative reaction and something like spitefulness of some guys here, when they (or somebody else here) find a bug in the software.)

I was thinking, there is something like curiosity, to be the first to try out new functions and to help in developing optimal software. It is eventually just a question of a couple minutes to go back to the original stabile 1.6 and therefore no risk ...
I am sorry, it thought it is a final release. I overlooked RC in the headline. It is probably release candidate, I guess. It would be good to write it in full and after the version.

Generally it is fine if Onyx publishes beta versions and I guess there would be no negative reactions.
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi guys,

Peace!
If you are referring to my statement according with there is a lot to be polished in the software please note that it was based on the general functionality not on particular version.

I also mentioned previously that I see hope and progress so I guess my criticism was constructive and pondered

If you stop publishing beta releases here you are going to hurt all parties involved: the community, the manufacturer and yourself. We all have something in this so keep doing what you are doing but just ignore the stronger critics.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #22
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi guys,

I just published another update 20120224. The page turning issue when changed to single page mode after zoom was fixed.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
PF4Mobile
Guru

I need somebody to confirm if this is a bug or not

PDF Reading
Landscape mode
Select Sketching
Select white color for sketching
draw a line on the doc. You are not going to see it
Go back to tools, annotations, change the color to black
you are going to see the line now
go to annotations again, select the eraser and delete the line
now the line is deleted, you would expect the current color to be black when you go back and select the sketching again
no that is not the case, it will still be white
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
PF4Mobile
Guru

Biggest challenge with M92: finding the white stylus on a completely blank piece of paper. try it after reading 100 pages on the ereader

Warning: if you scriblle a lot it is a good idea to clean the tip of the pen and the ereader surface as well. It happen to me that the my pen run over a little piece of dust not sure what it was but it started scratching the screen while I was underlining a piece of text! This is more of an operational issues thatn an ereder issue!

Feature request: the configuration screen shall not close after each selection you make. It should have its own "Close" button. It is really annoying to have to go through the same sequence when you change something

For instance every time I open a document I have to configure the layout to :"Scroll Pages", set the zoom to what I need to be and to select the annotations tools that I want. For that it should be enough to open the "Control panel" once, make all the slections and close instead of having to open the Control panel EVERY TIME!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
PF4Mobile
Guru

Workflow related:

As mentioned above the closest mode to reading on real paper is to read in landscape mode.
There you should use zoom between two points to select the best font size

I just discovered that some PDfs have the so called registration marks, indicated with a B letter in this picture

Those marks can are really helpful to select the zoom window.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
Mono
Mono

Quote:
Feature request: the configuration screen shall not close after each selection you make. It should have its own "Close" button. It is really annoying to have to go through the same sequence when you change something

For instance every time I open a document I have to configure the layout to :"Scroll Pages", set the zoom to what I need to be and to select the annotations tools that I want. For that it should be enough to open the "Control panel" once, make all the slections and close instead of having to open the Control panel EVERY TIME!
I agree. I do not see any reason (for most if not all settings)
the config menu closes after each setup step.

No new button to close Setup Menu it is needed. The tap to menu icon (on toolbar) or Home button already closes the menu.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
PF4Mobile
Guru

Petrified for a couple of minutes
I thought I had to send it back

This must be a software bug, not sure what could be the cause.
For the picture showing one line of dead like pixels I tried a refresh, that did not fix the problem
However on the next page everything looked fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144_cr.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	474.1 KB
ID:	83173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1145_cr.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	83174  

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #28
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
is it always on that page? im wondering if there is in fact something on that page of the pdf like a bit of background shading or something?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I remember seeing a post about the same problem about a year ago, but I can't remember which device it was on. My idea at the time was that it had to do with the scaling and display of the pen strokes (I vaguely recall the problem only happened with scribbles on an image that wasn't being displayed at native resolution). If you zoom the page, do the scribbles still look broken?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
PF4Mobile
Guru

OK ..trying to repsond to your questions I found the reason for this.
In the picture showing the "defect" you notice a "78" number that indicates the end of a page.
Because the layout is "scroll page" actually you do not see that the next page begins...so basically the scribble was covering two pages...
We discovered a feature and a bug! Scribbling can cover two pages (this is the feature) and the page transition should be somehow marked with a line (this is the bug) just in case the document does't show it very well

In my case this is a CHM converted to a PDF ...I did not pay attention to page transitions, poor job and the document doesn;t show the page transitions very well (not well marked) This helps the reading but might create confusions like this one.

thanks guys
PF