Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Sony app on Vox, other reading apps on Vox

Is anyone using this? I would like the option to be able to shop from the Sony Reader store. Sometimes they have a book that Kobo doesn't carry.

I'm still trying to find an easy way to transfer non-kobo books from my laptop to my Vox. I physically connected the vox to my laptop yesterday and transferred a couple of books purchased from Sony to the memory card. (The vox froze and I had to do a hard shutdown or whatever it's called.) The Kobo app was unable to import them, although it did import a couple of other books from the Aldiko and Overdrive apps.

I don't really care for Aldiko and Overdrive as readers, as they don't show page numbers at all and the pages don't turn as nicely as the Kobo app pages do. (Page numbers are an issue with me. I want to see what page I'm on and how many are left.) I was able to borrow a library book. The Kobo app wasn't able to import that one either.

I guess I would like to have my sony downloaded books on my Vox.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Do you use Dropbox? That is the best way I have found so far to transfer books onto the Vox. I just pop them onto the Dropbox folder from my computer and then access Dropbox from my Vox to import them.

I'm pretty sure the Kobo app won't read DRMed books (this is why you can't read library books on it).
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess the books are purchased from Sony are DRMed.

I'm still hesitating to use Dropbox, but I am more and more seeing the benefits of it.

I had wondered if a Sony app with access to the Sony reader store could peacefully co-exist with a Kobo app with access to the Kobo store, but I just installed the Kindle app and it seems to be doing OK. (Interesting to notice that a book I am interested in is $5 more at the Kindle store than it is at the Kobo store.)

Sony books are usually a little more expensive than Kobo books, but, as I've said, sometimes Sony has titles that Kobo doesn't carry. It's much easier to navigate through Sony's free selection as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Goodereader posted an article called "Essential Kobo Vox Apps and Tools", which you can find here. They include a link to the Sony app, which you can install on your Vox.

My sister has a Sony eReader and I know she installed the app for her Sony books. I haven't checked with her if she's used it to access the store. Since she didn't complain afterwards (I'm usually her go-to person if she has tech problems) I assumed it works fine.

Last edited by Suzanna; 11-19-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I've only been able to put Sony books into Aldiko, and library books I've been reading right from overdrive. not the bestest, but having my library books in a different spot is actually helpful.

So the Kindle app works? I've been thinking of doing that one, had no luck with Sony app.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic

I can't seem to get myself an apk file to install the sony reader on the vox. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and use dropbox and manually transfer over whatever books I want to read on aldiko.

Thanks for the input.

Edited to add that I've got the apk inside an .rar file. I would have to install a program on my laptop to open the .rar file (which I have already scanned at virustotal.com to see what actually is inside the .rar). Might give that a try later.

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
49kat: If you have Aldiko installed on your Vox, you can attach the Vox by USB cable to your computer and then authorize Aldkio on your Vox as a device to your desktop Adobe ADE. Then you just drag and drop the book onto the Aldiko icon. You can import books from the Sony "My Reader" file into ADE in the usual way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
49kat, that's right, I'd forgotten that the file was RAR'ed. It's a form of compression, like zipping a file. I use winrar, which is nagware (free to use, but puts up a nag screen asking for a donation after the trial period is over), to unrar files.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
49Kat
Fanatic

USB, disconnecting Vox from computer

Thanks, Taming.

I used the USB to connect while ADE was open, and ADE detected the Aldiko app, which I had already authorized with an Adobe. I dragged a few books to the Aldiko icon, both pdf's and an epub.

I must be doing something wrong when disconnecting the Vox from the laptop, because I've had problems a couple of times now.

I've connected the Vox to the laptop before with no problem. Then today the Vox froze after I disconnected. This is a Windows XP laptop. I used the 'safely remove hardware' to disconnect the Vox. Before I could press the button on the Vox to stop the USB storage, that screen disappeared on the Vox, but then the Vox froze.

I ended up installing Dropbox because I figured if the Vox was going to be ornery each time I physically tethered it, Dropbox would just be easier. (I had been concerned about security with Dropbox, but my firewall isn't letting Dropbox do ANYTHING without copious amounts of complaining, and I'm fine with that because I want to know what's talking to the internet, and unless I'm actually moving files, Dropbox doesn't need to be doing this. )

Once I found out about ADE being able to detect the Vox, I tried that, as I said. This time I used the 'safely remove hardware' on the laptop, and then pressed the 'stop USB storage' on the Vox and then unplugged the USB. I pushed the app icon on the Vox. The Aldiko icon was gone. I checked my installed list. Aldiko was still there. I tried to open Astro, and instead the last .pdf file I had been viewing (using the trial Office Suite app) opened. This happened each time I tried the Astro icon. So I ended up shutting down the Vox and restarting anyway. The icons were restored and working correctly after that. However, Aldiko didn't have the books I dragged over. I found them in the Digital Editions when I used Astro to look for them. Using Aldiko's interface, I imported each book individually.

I am pleased to see that Aldiko manages pdf's, but there was one pdf that had given me a hard time with the sony reader and it would stick on any page that had a chart. It was only problematic with this one e-book, and the publisher and I tried several different things, but this is the way it was. Aldiko had the same issues with that one pdf book, but the Office Suite trial seems to manage OK with it.

I am also pleased to see that Aldiko does see the total pages in a book and that one can skip forward with a slider bar that appears when you tap in the middle of the page. I was thus able to get to the pages I had left off at with my sony reader, so I can pick up with the Vox.

If I can get the Vox and the laptop to disconnect gracefully from one another, I would be fine using ADE and Aldiko. I don't have a lot of titles in ADE, most of them are in my Sony library on the laptop, but I can move the books individually. If I can't, I guess I can drop the epubs into dropbox and import them into Aldiko that way, which might end up being simpler. All I have to do is power up Dropbox and make sure my firewall allows it.

Lots to learn with this thing.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
49Kat
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
49kat, that's right, I'd forgotten that the file was RAR'ed. It's a form of compression, like zipping a file. I use winrar, which is nagware (free to use, but puts up a nag screen asking for a donation after the trial period is over), to unrar files.
Odd that after all these years I've never had an rar file before.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
flatlander
flatlander began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Do you use Dropbox? That is the best way I have found so far to transfer books onto the Vox. I just pop them onto the Dropbox folder from my computer and then access Dropbox from my Vox to import them.

I'm pretty sure the Kobo app won't read DRMed books (this is why you can't read library books on it).
Can't read library books on the Vox!? All you need is Overdrive.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Can't read library books on the Vox!? All you need is Overdrive.
Read what Laura said again...she was talking about the kobo app.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I don't really care for Aldiko and Overdrive as readers.
You could use Mantano instead (it's my choice for reading apps on Android) it will show page numbers like you want. There's also BlueFire, but it doesn't show page number IIRC. Both support DRM'd content (both Adobe ID and B&N style).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote