Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
iPad 2 coming! Press conference March2

Yep...

As per Engadget, Apple's holding an iPad 2 event at March 2. And I just bought an iPad wifi two weeks ago in order to read my PDFs files and Magazines. I wonder if I should wait and return mine.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
I think you should return it. The new one is only a month away. Even though as per various websites the differences won't be huge but still it's a new version with better hardware.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You mean 1 month away of real launch? I think they usually take than a month before being fully available to public. But yes, I'm seriously thinking about it.

The iPad is not my main e-reader so I could live without the iPad for several weeks, but without knowing what the changes are, the doubt is still there. Price is one of those important factors before returning, not willing to pay more for the wifi model.

Let's see ...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
If nothing else, there's a chance the current version will come down in price once the new ones are released. (That's assuming they're not selling fast enough for retailers to sell out just before they receive shipments of the new ones.)
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
You mean 1 month away of real launch? I think they usually take than a month before being fully available to public. But yes, I'm seriously thinking about it.
The iPad was released April 3rd last year, so expect a similar release date.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
If nothing else, there's a chance the current version will come down in price once the new ones are released. (That's assuming they're not selling fast enough for retailers to sell out just before they receive shipments of the new ones.)
Actually, that's a good point! ... even if new one is more expensive, I would be taking the benefit of the price drop (if that happens), and buy same old model again ... hmmm....
Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
If I were you, I'd save my money for iPad n+1.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Tomsk
Womble
Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tomsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KFHDX8.9, Fujitsu S1300, Voyage, K7
Don't fall into the trap...

Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

So freaking funny!!! ... great post Tomsk!

And you know what? Is sad but lot of people really got in trouble just to have one, because is new, because is better. Thanks God I can afford one and pay cash ... ... but not all people have their finances in good shape.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Whoopy bleedin' do! I'll put it in my calendar and remember not to hit any tech websites that week.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Actually, that's a good point! ... even if new one is more expensive, I would be taking the benefit of the price drop (if that happens), and buy same old model again ... hmmm....
If you like the 1st Generation iPad now, it's not going to magically turn into an inferior product just because Apple comes out with something that has one or two additional features. The new one will have... what?... a front facing camera? Big whoop. I've got a camera on my laptop, and I've only turned the thing on once. By accident.

I bought a refurbished 16GB, 2nd Generation iPod Touch for less (can't remember by how much, but it was a significant amount) than a brand new 8GB, 3rd Generation, and I've been completely happy with my choice. Mind you, I am considering upgrading... but not until a model is released with a decent still camera and (patience is a virtue) the price drops when the next model comes out. (Although I'm hoping to find a comparable, pocket sized, Android device that doesn't have a phone or data plan... I'm finding Apple just a tad annoying with its recent actions).
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Mind you, I am considering upgrading... but not until a model is released with a decent still camera and (patience is a virtue) the price drops when the next model comes out.
That won't happen until Jobs is out of the picture and Apple loses its obsession with all things thin.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
But clearly the iPod Touch is capable of much better still pictures since it is able to take HD quality pictures. As far as I can tell, the only thing stopping it from taking semi-decent still shots is the current firmware.

As for thin... the iPhone looks plenty thin to me, and it has a pretty nice camera plus all the cell phone doohickeys and 3G thingamabobs inside of it. An unlocked iPhone goes for $600-800 (about $200 or so with a cell phone contract)--so it's understandable why Apple would want to keep the iPhone "special". So, gotta wait until the iPhone gets a 37.6gigapixel camera with 3D imaging and a built in espresso machine before the iPod gets something with at least 1megapixel.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Thickness of selected iDevices:
  • 0.48" -- iPhone 3GS
  • 0.37" -- iPhone 4
  • 0.33" -- iPod touch 3
  • 0.28" -- iPod touch 4
Little wonder the iPod touch 4 has a sub par camera; it's too thin to hold the thick camera used by the iPhone 4.

Spoiler:
cancer made Steve thin, so he's making his iDevices thin