Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Mriswith2k
Mriswith2k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
suggestion to change the default 'not' search behavior

I've been using Calibre for a while now without really exploring the saved search filters, and basicly had one big view of all the books.
I've Lately though started using (search) to filter and organise my books by searching using custom colums like 'Read'/'To Get' and also 'On Device'/'Tags' and so forth.
And one thing I'm finding mighty annoying is that when you select multiple searches, and use the 'not' trigger, it does a 'or not' search instead of 'and not'. example:
If I want to search my Action Genre for any Undread Books instead of turning into a
Code:
search:"=Genre:Action" and not search:"read:yes"
search that would give me all my unread Action Books.
It instead turns into
Code:
search:"=Genre:Action" or not search:"read:yes"
that gives me all my Action books and all my unread books.
My Suggestion would be to add a tweak that changes the behavior when doing a 'not' search into 'and not' from being 'or not'.

I also got another suggestive tweak and that is to add a tweak to make 'Author_Sort' only use the first Author it finds when sorting by 'Author' - 'Series', as the current behavior is quite messy for series with multiple authors for example:
Spoiler:

instead of how it currently turns out:
Spoiler:

I used to use a regular expression search to remove all the Authors after the first from Author_sort (Got the suggestion from here), but since I earlier today messed it up and had to manually rename 600 books :P (also starting to take a while due to a bigger library).
I thought I should just suggest a permanent solution.

Last edited by Mriswith2k; 03-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Mriswith2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look below the tag browser.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Mriswith2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look below the tag browser.
Er hmms, do you mean the Restrict to: Search, and then using the normal tags/genre's to filter ? (because this actually solved something else I was trying to figure out :P), but the fact that it still does 'or not' when you try to use 'not' filters still messes it up. (there proberbly is a good reason why it's like this, but personally I just can't figure it out tbh)

I'll just make another example to clearify.
If I filter my books by #genre:"=Science Fiction" (100 books) and I don't want to show #genre:"=Science Fiction.Military" (25 books)
The default 'or not' filter:
#genre:"=Science Fiction" or not #genre:"=Science Fiction.Military"
displays all books in all genre's (600+) except for the sub genre #genre:"=Science Fiction.Military"

Of course I could make a search out of every #genre:* and use that as the primary filter, but it would be more efficient if I could just combine current filters / genre's.

If I'm just completely missunderstanding/missing the solution you are pointing me towards sorry about it T_T

Last edited by Mriswith2k; 03-18-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

change the box that says Match any to Match allh
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Mriswith2k

Quote:
change the box that says Match any to Match allh
god T_T I fail, sry bout all that :P

And thanks for the help, Calibre is easily one of the best pieces of software I've ever used.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #6
ptom
ptom began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Is there a way to change this box permanently? So that one wouldn't have to click everytime on "match all" when restarting calibre? It's just that I hardly ever use "match any".
ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

IIRC calibre should be remembering the last used value, is that not the case?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Not the case for me (0.7.52) - reverts back to Match any each restart
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK open a ticket for it so I dont forget.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Done.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/743645
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
IIRC calibre should be remembering the last used value, is that not the case?
Hasn't been that way for a long time.
Since I mostly use the default, I there was a reason
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote