Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Karen_D
Karen_D began at the beginning.

Device: K2
my entry for 'Dumb Question of the Year'

Newbie here so pls excuse the ignorance...

How can you tell if a particular .mobi file has DRM?
Karen_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
If you can't open it, it probably has DRM.

mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Karen_D

Is it possible to tell from the file itself. via the File Properties, for instance?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't know that you can tell from looking at the "properties" but if you try to open it with MobiReader (and it's not a drm'd file for your computer) it will give you an error. Or if you use Calibre -- they opening it there.

stripping the drm off a standard mobi/azm file is pretty straightforward if you have the mobi pid...but we are not allowed to discuss it specifically here.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps if you explain why you want to know, we may be able to assist you further. When you buy a book, it should be clear from the bookstore whether or not the file has DRM. What bookstore did you get the file that you're talking about from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_D View Post
How can you tell if a particular .mobi file has DRM?
In Windows MobiPocket Reader, right click on the book in the ebooks view and select Properties -> Summary. The DRM status is listed under Encryption at the bottom, Non encrypted means DRM-free.

There is a python script in Kindle Books From Amazon Without DRM that detects DRM-free MOBI ebooks (AZW is the same as MOBI).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Karen_D

Thanks all for the replies. Sorry - I should have given more info...

The reason I am asking is because I've recently bought a computer from a friend which contains 100 odd .mobi titlles. I am looking at purchasing a Kindle so was just wondering how I can tell if I'll be able to read these titles on the Kindle.

Thanks wallcraft. Looks like these should be fine. Ones I've checked so far are non-encrypted.

If I were to copy these on to a Kindle, will Amazon delete them because they're not Kindle specific?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

If I were to copy these on to a Kindle, will Amazon delete them because they're not Kindle specific?
Nope. You're safe.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The reason I am asking is because I've recently bought a computer from a friend which contains 100 odd .mobi titlles. I am looking at purchasing a Kindle so was just wondering how I can tell if I'll be able to read these titles on the Kindle.

Thanks wallcraft. Looks like these should be fine. Ones I've checked so far are non-encrypted.

See and there are all those who claim you can't re-sell ebooks.

I love it!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Your friend cannot legally give or sell you those books; I suggest you delete them.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your friend cannot legally give or sell you those books; ...
Why not?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Because they are breaking the terms of their contract with the bookstore by doing so. They all (to the best of my knowledge) state that eBooks are "non transferable". That's ignoring the question of whether or not the friend has retained copies for herself, in which case there's the entirely separate issue of copyright infringement.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Your friend cannot legally give or sell you those books; I suggest you delete them.

I don't think that has been established at all legally. I can sell or give away a paper book, why not an ebook. I'll bet the computer had an operating system on it as well. What about that? Should that be deleted as well?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't think that has been established at all legally. I can sell or give away a paper book, why not an ebook. I'll bet the computer had an operating system on it as well. What about that? Should that be deleted as well?
Depends what the licence terms of the operating system are. If it says that it's "non-transferable", then yes, it should. I think, though, that a Windows licence is transferable.

My point is not whether it's been established legally, but that it's what you've given your agreement to at the time that you buy the book. It seems plain "wrong" to me to accept the terms of the seller at the time that you buy it, and then to turn round and ignore those terms when it's convenient for you to do so.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Depends what the licence terms of the operating system are. If it says that it's "non-transferable", then yes, it should. I think, though, that a Windows licence is transferable.

My point is not whether it's been established legally, but that it's what you've given your agreement to at the time that you buy the book. It seems plain "wrong" to me to accept the terms of the seller at the time that you buy it, and then to turn round and ignore those terms when it's convenient for you to do so.

True, but it's happening everywhere in the digital world as we speak as you well know. I for one don't see an issue with re-selling an ebook if you sell it in total. (i.e. you don't make and keep a copy - just like with the "transferable" OS or reselling a paperback). I don't know it that is what happened in this case or not, but if so then, I don't see any issue, particularly with the ebooks. The operating system or other software may or may not be an issue, but the terms are very similar.

In the endless copyright debates (if you want to call them that) here on MR and elsewhere wrt digital media there are forces on both sides. Many would say the "receiver" of the ebooks (or digital media) has not broken the law. Which may be true legally, but morally and ethically I believe it is wrong if you knowingly possess it without compensating the seller.

The laws are in flux, but it seems morals have gone down the toilet.