Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it the free ones are ePub & Mobipocket when most of their eBooks are Adobe Reader which I think is PDF?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #17
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Could not get the page to work on Firefox. Opened in IE (you wouldn't believe how long that page takes to load on dialup); it was incredibly glitchy there, too. With some effort and an incredible number of page reloads, I got it to download books with names like "9781408914786.epub."

What is WRONG with publishers, that they can't just have a direct link to the files they want people to download, instead of burying them in weird script functions on the page? And why not just name them by title & author?

(Erm. Nothing against you, Anggun. Thank you for the link. I'm just frustrated at all the bells-and-whistles coding that gets in the way of the functions of the page.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #18
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Could not get the page to work on Firefox. Opened in IE (you wouldn't believe how long that page takes to load on dialup); it was incredibly glitchy there, too. With some effort and an incredible number of page reloads, I got it to download books with names like "9781408914786.epub."

What is WRONG with publishers, that they can't just have a direct link to the files they want people to download, instead of burying them in weird script functions on the page? And why not just name them by title & author?

(Erm. Nothing against you, Anggun. Thank you for the link. I'm just frustrated at all the bells-and-whistles coding that gets in the way of the functions of the page.)
Well, this name is a unique one, as it is the ISBN. Not user friendly nonetheless !
Sometime it's noted TheTitle_ISBN.prc. It's a little better...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #19
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it the free ones are ePub & Mobipocket when most of their eBooks are Adobe Reader which I think is PDF?
Nope.. Mills & Boons UK sell the ebooks at their website as ePubs. Other UK ebookstore sell their ebooks as ePub and Mobipocket.

Quote:

Makes you wonder if they are purposely making it hard for us to get the free ebooks..
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #20
SusanJ
Enthusiast
SusanJ has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle for PC
I had to de-lurk and say thanks so much for the link
SusanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanJ View Post
I had to de-lurk and say thanks so much for the link
Then you absolutely *must* be welcomed to MobileRead. We're glad you're here & looking forward to getting to know you.

Anggun, thanks so much for posting the link. I rarely read a romance novel, but I gladly accept the freebies. Who knows? Some day I may decide that romance novels are just what I want to read and then I'll be all stocked up with some good ones.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #22
SusanJ
Enthusiast
SusanJ has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle for PC
Thanks Elsi! I've found this site so useful for explaining how ereading works and what all the various devices are. We still don't seem to have that much choice in the UK (well, walk-into-a-shop-and-buy choice - I know there is online shopping) but I like the look of the new Sonys. However, the news that Asus may launch one soon has made me think I will wait to see what that's like. And of course we have the possibility of the Kindle dangled over us. Meanwhile, I am reading on my laptop, having downloaded ADE, and that's been a good start.
SusanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #23
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
Can't you use the epub version for Adobe Digital Edition and put it on your Sony that way? The latest Sony Library program allows you to add epub files via program. I used to have to go thru ADE. ???
No, I tried it that way and there was an error. Couldn't open the content for some reason.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:39 AM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I've got the books.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Karma on the way.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #26
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I wish they'd made it easier to choose the format. I don't really like epub.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Worked fine in Firefox for me. I'm running 3.5.2.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #28
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:

I spent 2 seconds to rename 9781408914786.epub .I don't think I will read these books but I decided to check how it looks on jetBook screen. It looks perfect in ePub format.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #29
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Anggun:

Thank you, that's very generous. I've been reading a lot of ebooks recently, since I stupidly broke my arm (1) and an ebook reader is easier to manipulate than a paper book. I'm not a romance novel reader, but these seem well-formatted, well-edited, and well-written. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Regency romances, but that's a different issue.

Congratulations on your first year.

Thanks,
Jack Tingle

(1) Front mountain bike brake grabs. I go over the handlebars. My left foot doesn't release. The bike attempts to follow me, unsuccessfully. Shoulder hits concrete sidewalk. Result: broken proximal humerus. Moral: Warm up your brakes if you haven't ridden the bike in a while. Rims get dirty & sticky.

Yes, I was wearing a helmet. How was I to know I needed shoulder pads?
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #30
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I spent 2 seconds to rename 9781408914786.epub .I don't think I will read these books but I decided to check how it looks on jetBook screen. It looks perfect in ePub format.
I renamed 'em as I downloaded. They look good on the Sony Reader, unlike the ones from Harlequin, which have large margins based on em-spaces so they get bigger as the text does.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote