Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
eBooks.com goes Sony Reader

The good news for all Sony Reader (PRS-505) aficionados, straight from the source:

Quote:
eBooks.com, the web's leading ebookstore, announced today that it has amassed a huge collection of published ebooks ready for downloading to Sony's ebook PRS-505 device. Until now, owners of a Sony Reader Digital Book have been confined to the collection of titles available direct from Sony's own ebookstore, or from Borders.com. On Thursday, Sony released a software upgrade that enables users to download ebooks in the ubiquitous Adobe format.

"We've assembled the world's biggest range of commercially published books suitable for the Sony Reader," said Stephen Cole, CEO of eBooks.com. "The vast majority of ebooks available from eBooks.com are from major commercial publishing houses. We're keen to enable self-published authors to upload their books to boost the number of titles in our repository -- as some sites do -- but we haven't built that capability yet. The result is that our collection of ebooks is almost entirely made up of books published by the world's leading book publishers."

Academic and Professional Books

In addition to its acclaimed range of popular fiction and non-fiction ebooks, eBooks.com's collection of Sony-compatible titles includes a substantial choice of academic and professional texts from publishers such as Wiley, Springer and Elsevier.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Looks like PRS-500 users are left out. ;(
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
ubiquitous Adobe format
Does that indicate they are sticking with PDF, or do they think Adobe encrypted ePub is ubiquitous? I went to the site, but they call it simply Adobe format there as well. I am guessing it's PDF.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Until now, owners of a Sony Reader Digital Book have been confined to the collection of titles available direct from Sony's own ebookstore, or from Borders.com.
Or MobileRead, or Gutenberg, or....

Ah well, I am happy they are jumping on the bandwagon. The more the merrier.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I am really glad to hear this. My major concern with the 505 was the inability to buy elsewhere.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Or MobileRead, or Gutenberg, or....
And don't forget commercial, if unprotected, books from Fictionwise, Baen, Steve Jordan...

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I went to eBooks.com and am unlikely to go back unless they improve their search engine. I searched for the author David Weber and received hundreds, if not thousands, of books -- any book whose title, author, or description had either David or Weber in it.

I then searched for a recent history release called Bitterly Divided. I first went to the history section and then asked eBooks to search the History section. Again hundreds of books were returned -- any book that had Bitterly or Divided in its title or description. Not a very good search engine.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I went to eBooks.com and am unlikely to go back unless they improve their search engine. I searched for the author David Weber and received hundreds, if not thousands, of books -- any book whose title, author, or description had either David or Weber in it.

I then searched for a recent history release called Bitterly Divided. I first went to the history section and then asked eBooks to search the History section. Again hundreds of books were returned -- any book that had Bitterly or Divided in its title or description. Not a very good search engine.
If you place it in quotes you'll significantly reduce the results. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have either of the books you just described.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgben View Post
If you place it in quotes you'll significantly reduce the results. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have either of the books you just described.
You could also go to the "Advanced Search" page http://www.ebooks.com/search/advancedsearch.asp and put in David Weber (with or without quotes) in the Author field and find that they are not carrying any of his books yet.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
This sounds just like the very thing I need - shame the PRS 500 doesn't have the firmware update we need - where are you Sony when we need you!?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I was all happy after reading the title. Now I'm depressed. I need a 505.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
You could also go to the "Advanced Search" page http://www.ebooks.com/search/advancedsearch.asp and put in David Weber (with or without quotes) in the Author field and find that they are not carrying any of his books yet.
I tried the advance search and faired no better. What they really need is to let you select search parameters such as exact/loose match, exclude/include descriptions, title only, etc. They say they have more than 100,000 titles; with that number of ebooks, the search engine has to be more flexible so that one can narrow the parameters.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't know ebooks.com was located in Boston. That's neat.

Anyway, I've send a message to corporate asking if the Digital Editions eBooks are ePub or PDF. I'll see what sort of answer I get if I get one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I tried the advance search and faired no better. What they really need is to let you select search parameters such as exact/loose match, exclude/include descriptions, title only, etc. They say they have more than 100,000 titles; with that number of ebooks, the search engine has to be more flexible so that one can narrow the parameters.
The author search seems okay. The advanced search with David Weber in the author field, and came up with no matches (missing the one book they have by David J. Weber). Entering Weber, David picked up that book. I then tried the advanced search with Elizabeth Moon in the author field and came with 7 matches all by her. (No quotes either time, BTW).

But I agree that the advanced keyword search leaves a lot to be desired. Entering "David Weber" in quotes came up with the result you described earlier of anything with either David or Weber in the metadata. However putting it in quotes in the quick search, yielded the two books that mention David Weber in the description (pretty bad when the advanced search is better than the "dumb search").

I also agree that it would be nice to be able to specify the metadata field you are searching and be able to do exact (with quotes) matches

I'll also add these to Digital Editions feature list, so when I finally get to do search (instead of just find in a book) people will have less cause to complain as well
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I wouldn't call letter-sized PDF with DRM "Sony Reader support". The reflow is useful when you need to view a document unavailable in another format, but what sites such as ebooks.com should focus on, is providing thousands of ePub files.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks.com, sony reader