Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaoofrecovery View Post
That's a cop out. The device itself is fully capable of doing this because it is generating the information in a "hidden" file...it has to for it to sync to the web. The problem isn't the "build"/capability of the device but the apparent proprietary concerns of Amazon. The way the files are named...random numbers and letters...supports this fact. If they were named in a recognizable way, it would be possible to simply find a compatible reader of the file type in question and export the material manually (by-passing the limitations imposed on the website - which, by the way, should only be a concern if I have my notes/highlights set to "public").
My K3 (KK) has a text file called "My Clippings" containing highlights/notes in a readable form. I can't find this file in the KF. As you said, all the information seems to be contained in an MBP file.

Apparently, there is a Perl script to extract notes from the MBP file, if you can discover what that is.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Try here: http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Never seen the limit.

Quote:
You have 267 highlighted passages but we can only show 175 of them. What's this?
I just checked my own Highlights and Notes and my maximum is 167 for one ebook. The others are between 114 and that number. Evidently, your example shows you were allowed to exceed that limit in your eBooks and the display on the site is the only issue.

That "limit" may be a site display limit and have nothing to do with the publishers.

I'd suggest doing your reading on the Kindle Fire but doing your research using Kindle 4 PC on your PC. All your Notes and Highlights are also available in Kindle 4 PC for every ebook. You can copy and paste from there without any display limits.

Frankly, I prefer to type Notes on my PC rather than the Kindle Fire. I prefer 10 finger typing on an MS Ergonomic Keyboard to thumb typing on a Virtual Keyboard.

Finally, inside Kindle 4 PC you can click "Notes & Marks" on the Left to display all of them. Then you can right click on the Highlight to copy it individually. It copies the Highlight with a full reference note showing page number, book title and author - in perfect shape to insert a foot note number in the body of a research paper and the entire reference with the associated number in your own footnote section. I use Clipmate as a clipboard extender and that program can even split your information for immediate insertion in your paper.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-07-2012 at 12:22 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
thetaoofrecovery
thetaoofrecovery began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I really do appreciate the suggestion and I will give the software a try. However, in reading the info at the link, I found the following:

Kindle Hint:
Kindles books have a "clipping limit", that is, a maximum amount of allowed text that can be "copied". This limit seems to affect also the way notes are stored in ".mbp" files.
So, if you try to use my app, and the text file reports the number of notes, but nothing more, you'll probably need to remove that limit. If the limit is exceeded, notes are not stored as text, but as a pointer to the original book (?), and my app cannot cope with that.
thetaoofrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
thetaoofrecovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just checked my own Highlights and Notes and my maximum is 167 for one ebook. The others are between 114 and that number.
Where did you find this information? At least it would be useful knowing this information in advance before wasting my time doing excessive highlighting/note-taking on the KF.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Highlights enumerated

Quote:
Where did you find this information? At least it would be useful knowing this information in advance before wasting my time doing excessive highlighting/note-taking on the KF.

Thanks!
It shows here for every eBook you own:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

"Your Highlights (Most recently updated first)

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

You have 167 highlighted passages

You have 2 notes

Last annotated on April 6, 2012"

All Notes and Highlights are even kept at that site for eBooks borrowed from Amazon's Lending Library even though you don't even possess the ebooks anymore. They only allow you to borrow one eBook per month.

By the way, you MUST use your PC for the writing of the research papers. So far as I know no one uses typewriters anymore and for speed nothing beats a real keyboard versus the Fire virtual keyboard.

That being the case, do your reading on the Kindle Fire and then use Kindle 4 PC on the PC as your source document for your writing. Kindle 4 PC has no display limits as the internet site evidently has.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-07-2012 at 01:59 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Are the personal documents notes and highlights archived in the same location as purchased books? None of my notes/highlights from pdocs (post 6.3 update) appear. Are they in a different location on Amazon's site?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
That's a cop out. The device itself is fully capable of doing this because it is generating the information in a "hidden" file...it has to for it to sync to the web. The problem isn't the "build"/capability of the device but the apparent proprietary concerns of Amazon. The way the files are named...random numbers and letters...supports this fact. If they were named in a recognizable way, it would be possible to simply find a compatible reader of the file type in question and export the material manually (by-passing the limitations imposed on the website - which, by the way, should only be a concern if I have my notes/highlights set to "public").
I'm probably too oriented towards using it for fun. I hope someone here is able to come up with a workable solution for you.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
It shows here for every eBook you own:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights

"Your Highlights (Most recently updated first)

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

You have 167 highlighted passages

You have 2 notes

Last annotated on April 6, 2012"

All Notes and Highlights are even kept at that site for eBooks borrowed from Amazon's Lending Library even though you don't even possess the ebooks anymore. They only allow you to borrow one eBook per month.

By the way, you MUST use your PC for the writing of the research papers. So far as I know no one uses typewriters anymore and for speed nothing beats a real keyboard versus the Fire virtual keyboard.

That being the case, do your reading on the Kindle Fire and then use Kindle 4 PC on the PC as your source document for your writing. Kindle 4 PC has no display limits as the internet site evidently has.

My comment about it not being the productive tool he was hoping for was my confusion about writing papers on it. But I get it he is doing his research and saving his notes to use in writing papers on something more functional.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
thetaoofrecovery

sirmaru -- I downloaded the Kindle for PC and I appreciate the suggestion. I did not realize that it would "keep" my highlights. You are correct that I do not do the writing on the KF, but at the PC so this is a valid alternative and I appreciate your patience. Since I had not used the PC version, I had no idea of its capabilities. Thanks again.

It would be nice, still, if there were a way to export the notes without have to go through and cut and paste them all out manually. But again, your suggestion of using Kindle for PC is certainly very close to what I am wanting to accomplish.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
beej231
Addict

Quote:
sirmaru -- I downloaded the Kindle for PC and I appreciate the suggestion. I did not realize that it would "keep" my highlights. You are correct that I do not do the writing on the KF, but at the PC so this is a valid alternative and I appreciate your patience. Since I had not used the PC version, I had no idea of its capabilities. Thanks again.

It would be nice, still, if there were a way to export the notes without have to go through and cut and paste them all out manually. But again, your suggestion of using Kindle for PC is certainly very close to what I am wanting to accomplish.
Yay!