Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
micro usb

I have pretty much decided I'm going to go with the nook color, and picked one up last week.

The usb is really really hard to connect to the reader. I know they are all a little difficult, my first one was, but this one is worse.

What do you think, is it worth exchanging? I don't want to break it (over time) trying to get the connection.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hard to say whether you should exchange it. Maybe try a different cable at the store first. That seems to have helped some people. I thought the cable was really difficult to attach at first too. Then I read a tip that you should angle the cable up slightly when attaching it rather than holding it straight. That tip has made it much smoother to attach the cable to my NC now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Brooke L
Brooke L began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
alternate chargers

Along the same lines, I have heard that some people have been able to charge using other chargers. I have tried two that I had at home and they didn't work. Is there a specific brand I need to look for that others have had luck with. My current problem is that the nook cord is just too short so it keeps unplugging from the wall. Thanks in advance.

Brooke
Brooke L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Other USB chargers will work, BUT you won't receive notification that it is charging, and it charges much slower (about 75% slower at 500 mAmps instead of 2000 mAmps); and if you are actually USING the NC while trying to charge off a USB you will still have a slow discharge.

The B&N charger has extra pins as compared to a normal USB, and provides extra power to charge faster over those extra pins.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Hard to say whether you should exchange it. Maybe try a different cable at the store first. That seems to have helped some people. I thought the cable was really difficult to attach at first too. Then I read a tip that you should angle the cable up slightly when attaching it rather than holding it straight. That tip has made it much smoother to attach the cable to my NC now.
You have indeed to hold the cable at a certain angle, than the connector will just slide in.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I've found all the micro B USB cables hard to plug in. My Motorola Droid uses that type. Finally I discovered that as BookWorm_Girl said, if you angle it slightly, it goes in easier. My experience is to angle it so the flat side is first and then straighten it as you insert.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thankyou. I do know about the angle thing. This one is like you have to angle up, then down and hold your right foot in the air while closing one eye.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Well, if it's that difficult, then I think I'd return it. Maybe 3rd time's the charm!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
This is a known issue. I'd definitely exchange it. My husband's had the same issue and when I sent him back to replace it I told him to open it there at the store with the clerk and check some of the common issues that he could easily check. (There's a thread somewhere on XDA-Dev that's collected them all in once post but I can't seem to find it right now.)

Those include (from memory): dead pixels on the screen; dust under the screen; creaky bezel on the lower left; um, sound disappearing after coming out from sleep mode; and the very common USB thing. I'm sure there's more I can't remember.

You're paying a decent amount of money and deserve to get one that works as well as possible.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
This is a known issue. I'd definitely exchange it. My husband's had the same issue and when I sent him back to replace it I told him to open it there at the store with the clerk and check some of the common issues that he could easily check. (There's a thread somewhere on XDA-Dev that's collected them all in once post but I can't seem to find it right now.)

Those include (from memory): dead pixels on the screen; dust under the screen; creaky bezel on the lower left; um, sound disappearing after coming out from sleep mode; and the very common USB thing. I'm sure there's more I can't remember.

You're paying a decent amount of money and deserve to get one that works as well as possible.
Thankyou. Dead pixels would really annoy me. How do you see dust under the screen?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjeanne View Post
How do you see dust under the screen?
No firsthand knowledge, but I think if you see something like dust but when you try to wipe it off it's still there...that's probably it.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjeanne View Post
I have pretty much decided I'm going to go with the nook color, and picked one up last week.

The usb is really really hard to connect to the reader. I know they are all a little difficult, my first one was, but this one is worse.

What do you think, is it worth exchanging? I don't want to break it (over time) trying to get the connection.
yeah it is quirky at times. just take a second before to line them up slowly. I heard it's the extra pins in the charger that allows for high speed charging.

If you have a another micro usp laying around try that and see if that works better for you.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #13
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
No real concerns about plugging in, but.........I dropped my NC from the bed to the carpeted floor......it landed right on the charger head......and the charger head got a bit damaged.......it still works, but it's only a matter of time.......it seems to have somewhat split, the metal piece is loose......
Anyone ever buy an aftermarket USB charger cable with positive results......
Maybe a combo car/wall USB type charger?

Like this
http://www.bargaincell.com/nookcolor...FRQ8gwodVE15Gw
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
The Nook Color will charge when connected to a computer, even though B&N says it will not, so that is another option (it might be slower; I haven't timed it). I was downloading a few books and transferring some videos last night and the charge went from 79% to 100%.
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert23 View Post
The Nook Color will charge when connected to a computer, even though B&N says it will not, so that is another option (it might be slower; I haven't timed it). I was downloading a few books and transferring some videos last night and the charge went from 79% to 100%.
Hmm. That's interesting.