Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Looking for more "Dresden Files" type books

I just blew through the whole Dresden Files series on audiobook in about 2 weeks (about to start "Side Jobs"). Loved them all!

I'm looking for a similar read (audio or ebook). Modern day, snappy snarky dialog and a fun ride. Any suggestions?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've not read the Dresden books, but based on "modern day, snappy snarky dialog" with a supernatural twist... I'd recommend Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim. There's a second book out now called Kill the Dead

From what I hear, they may be a little darker than Harry Dresden's world, but the first one is certainly Snarky and fun -- told in a fast-paced, hard-boiled, noir style. James Stark may not be the most "cuddly" hero, but he's certainly bad-ass and snarky.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've not read the Dresden books, but based on "modern day, snappy snarky dialog" with a supernatural twist... I'd recommend Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim. There's a second book out now called Kill the Dead

From what I hear, they may be a little darker than Harry Dresden's world, but the first one is certainly Snarky and fun -- told in a fast-paced, hard-boiled, noir style. James Stark may not be the most "cuddly" hero, but he's certainly bad-ass and snarky.
You know what, I think I downloaded a freebie of "Sandman Slim" <runs to check account>. I did! I will push it up on my TBR list. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I should mention that it's fairly irreverent and has plenty of foul language... in case that's relevant.

Yeah, Sandman Slim was offered for free when the second book was released.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

While I found it refreshing that Dresden used very little foul language, I also loved the Joe Pitt series which was extra spicy!
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Man I love that series! The TV series (short lived) is available on hulu, you should check it out.

I can only think of two things that I've read that are similar. Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series (less snarky, a little darker, but fun and equally crackalicious) and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series (I'll admit I only read the first and wasn't in love, but it has similarities to Dresden Files). I'd really recommend the Mercy Thompson series.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I actually did watch the series on SciFi. At the time, I didn't know it was based on a book series. I had the face of the actor in mind for Harry the whole time.

I've read the Rachel Morgan series and love it as well. I haven't tried Patricia Briggs, so I check her out. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I actually did watch the series on SciFi. At the time, I didn't know it was based on a book series. I had the face of the actor in mind for Harry the whole time.

I've read the Rachel Morgan series and love it as well. I haven't tried Patricia Briggs, so I check her out. Thanks!
Me too! When I realized it was a series I devoured the whole set. He's a handsome guy

Definitely check out the Mercy Thompson series. I really think you'll enjoy it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
sandman slim looks promising. too much relationship stuff with adam for me in mercy, too much cutesy in rachel morgan. robert b. parker's spenser series and his sonny randall series aren't fiction, but they have the sarcasm and snappy action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Man I love that series! The TV series (short lived) is available on hulu, you should check it out.

I can only think of two things that I've read that are similar. Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series (less snarky, a little darker, but fun and equally crackalicious) and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series (I'll admit I only read the first and wasn't in love, but it has similarities to Dresden Files). I'd really recommend the Mercy Thompson series.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I'm a BIG fan of Robert Parker's "Jesse Stone" series (haven't delved into "Spencer") but I hate the way Parker writes dialog. I cringe at the the millions of "he said, she said, Jesse said". If the dialog is well written you can tell who is speaking with only the occasional "so and so said".
Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
baldanders
baldanders began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Love The Dresden Files series not so much the TV series. Will have to put Sandman Slim on my TBR list.
baldanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series (I'll admit I only read the first and wasn't in love, but it has similarities to Dresden Files).
I actually really enjoyed the Rachel Morgan series, although Holy Crap it was embarrassing for me to be seen reading them! (Google the covers and you'll see why!). I read them during that horrible, horrible long year between "Turn Coat" and "Changes", so I was dying for more "urban fantasy" but without the glittering vampires.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I'd highly recommend giving the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire a go.

The books are about a half-blood Fae, and make a nice change from Vampires and Demons and the like...
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I recommend Tanya Huff's "Blood" quintet and "Smoke" trilogy. I think "Smoke" is more on the snappy/snarky side. I'm not sure if that's because of the evolution of Huff's writing style or if it's just because Tony Foster is a snarkier character than Victory Nelson.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Mike Carey's "The Devil You Know"
Simon R. Green's "Tales from the Nightside" series
John Meaney's "Black Blood" and its sequel would all probably give you a Dresden fix.

Although, I think Black Blood delves more into the new weird genre, it's close enough to an urban fantasy/mystery.... ... even if you're in a weird post apocalyptic bleak world that gets its electrical power from creamatoriums
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote