Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle2 KFHD 7, Galaxy 10.1
Kindle Fire backgrounds

I was looking at the new Fires in Best Buy today. Unless these were scaled down demo models, it appears there aren't even any tired gray bookshelves as a background. Surely Amazon allows you to add something to do away with what appears to be a plain, gloomy black background. (and I thought the bookshelves were bad) Any new options? Yes? No?
iPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Nope! That would be all. You can use an alternative launcher though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
MobileKing
MobileKing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Sadly, not yet...personalization options on the KF are nearly nonexistent thus far...
MobileKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Look into sideloading the GO Launcher EX to be able to customize your Fire backgrounds and make it look more like an Android phone/tablet.
Read about it and how to use it BEFORE you install it though.

You can switch back and forth from the GO Launcher to the Amazon launcher so you still have access to the free Prime Videos and Book Lending anbd Music Cloud Player as you want.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
Look into sideloading the GO Launcher EX to be able to customize your Fire backgrounds and make it look more like an Android phone/tablet.
Read about it and how to use it BEFORE you install it though.

You can switch back and forth from the GO Launcher to the Amazon launcher so you still have access to the free Prime Videos and Book Lending anbd Music Cloud Player as you want.
I don't think you can use Go Launcher on the current Fires (without rooting). You can use ADW launcher. I have it on my non-HD and it works fine.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
OK I only have a 1st gen not an HD Fire so I guess they closed that path to limit other Launchers to prevent having more customer service calls for those that sideloaded one. Thats a shame as Go is a good launcher
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
OK I only have a 1st gen not an HD Fire so I guess they closed that path to limit other Launchers to prevent having more customer service calls for those that sideloaded one. Thats a shame as Go is a good launcher
Yes Go Launcher worked on 1st gen Fire just fine, until I sold it last month.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
iPatty
Zealot
iPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura aboutiPatty has a spectacular aura about

I bought the 7 inch HD so I would have a small tablet as well as my Galaxy 10.1 THe Galaxy is a pain to take out of the house, the KF fits in a pocket or a purse. I still think it's gloomy. I may go with the ADW launcher that works. Not sure yet. I might take it back and save my pennies for a iPad mini, even tho I think that's way too expensive.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
I bought the 7 inch HD so I would have a small tablet as well as my Galaxy 10.1 THe Galaxy is a pain to take out of the house, the KF fits in a pocket or a purse. I still think it's gloomy. I may go with the ADW launcher that works. Not sure yet. I might take it back and save my pennies for a iPad mini, even tho I think that's way too expensive.
I highly recommend trying ADW before returning the kfhd. It is a simple and safe way to test it as a standard android tablet. I ran my hd unrooted for about 3 months with ADW. It worked out so well that I took the plunge and rooted it and installed google play and nova launcher.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
iPatty
Zealot

I had Go Launcher on my Kf1. I'm not sure I want to try Adw or not. But thanks.Amazon is nuts to go from the "cheery" gray bookshelves with this gloomy blackness that you can't change. Even offering the option to change it to a different solid color would be nice.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPatty View Post
I had Go Launcher on my Kf1. I'm not sure I want to try Adw or not. But thanks.Amazon is nuts to go from the "cheery" gray bookshelves with this gloomy blackness that you can't change. Even offering the option to change it to a different solid color would be nice.
The reason for me mentioning ADW, is that ADW is the only launcher that works on an unrooted KFHD. The ability to use an alternative launcher without rooting is handy for people who want a different user experience but don't want to commit to rooting their device.

If you root the HD, then you can install virtually any launcher.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
iPatty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
The reason for me mentioning ADW, is that ADW is the only launcher that works on an unrooted KFHD. The ability to use an alternative launcher without rooting is handy for people who want a different user experience but don't want to commit to rooting their device.

If you root the HD, then you can install virtually any launcher.
Ya, ya. I rooted my first KF and I'm not sure it was worth the trouble. I wanted the Google Play market and then really never did use it. Not sure what I'm going to do. I'm going to check out Adw on the Galaxy and see what I think.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I bought a Fire HD 7 which will arrive next week! I'll definitely be putting ADW Launcher on it right away. I am excited. Early Valentines Day/birthday present for myself!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

What app works best to change the wallpaper on a Fire using ADW Launcher? My little girl would like to change wallpapers and I can't figure out how to get one to work.
Ok I found something to work....not as fun to play with as what my other daughter's android tablet has. But she'll like it.

Last edited by booklover6; 04-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
What app works best to change the wallpaper on a Fire using ADW Launcher? My little girl would like to change wallpapers and I can't figure out how to get one to work.
I use Wallpapers HD and can change wallpaper very easily.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote