Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
LakesideReader
LakesideReader is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon K1, K3
Questions for K1 owners who also own a K3

I have a K1 and I am thinking about getting a K3. I love my K1 but the screen now has a small crack, the 3 batteries I swap out (one of them new) can't seem to hold a charge, it's locking up, and the opening of new books is taking a while. Of course this last issue could be due to the fact that I have 48 pages of books, but I don't think so. I've had a lot of books for a long time now.

What do I need to know? What are your thoughts on the new versus the old? Will the K3 play Audible audiobooks? I checked the Audible website and in one place it indicates the K3 is compatible, yet in another it does not. I know there is no external storage slot but what is the actual storage capacity (besides "3,500 books")?

When I called technical support on about my recent issues, the kind young man gently suggested that maybe my Kindle was just nearing the end of its useful life. I refused to accept it at the time but, well, maybe it's time to move on.

What do you think? I appreciate your thoughts.
LakesideReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Considering that you have 48 pages of books you should definitely consider getting a k3. The kindle 3 allows you to organize your books into collections. The k3 is also much much faster than the k1 and doesn't lock-up or freeze nearly as much. The dictionary lookup and notetaking and highlighting are much improved and more intuitive, and it is easier to access wikipedia as well. It also has almost no slow down even if their are images on the page.

The downside, though, is that there is no user-replaceable battery. I haven't had any problems yet but obviously lithium-ion batteries have a limited lifespan. Still, since the k3 uses a different battery than the k1 its unlikely that manufacturers will continue to make batteries for the k1 and k2.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
LakesideReader

Wow. I guess I've been holding on for too long. Just being able to organize my books has me interested, and the increased dictionary lookup would be great. I can read the whole page while waiting for the lookup to respond.

I was told that being an 'early adopter' I would be entitled to a credit on the purchase of a K3, but I'm waiting for Amazon to get back to my email on that issue.

Do you know if you can play Audible audiobooks on the K3?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can play audiobooks on the k3, but I have never used Audible so i don't know about that.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
LakesideReader

I found where the K3 has 3GB available for the user, and I'm already using 4GB on the external storage of my K1, plust all but 12MB on the K1 memory. I really wish they wouldn't have taken that capability away on the new Kindles.

I also found that I am in a 3G deadzone for the K3.

I'm grieving the demise of my K1 more and more.
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I gifted my K1 and got a K3 Wifi, and couldn't be happier. Didn't really need 3G, wifi works just fine.

Seriously, you ought to look at using Calibre to maintain a library on your computer instead of that sd card. What if it fails? And having collections on the K3 will make your life a whole lot easier.

The Audible books work fine on the K3.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
spellbanisher
Guru

It also must be added that you don't have to keep books that you bought or downloaded from amazon stored on your kindle. On the k3 is an archive file that lists all your amazon books. You can download them anytime without needing a computer. Even if you remove the book from your kindle all the bookmarks, notes, last location, and collection that the book was in are saved.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
LakesideReader

I know that I can keep the books online but I liked having them all on my K1 if I wanted them. But, the reality is that my K1 is faltering, so I went ahead and put my order in for the K3.

I will also keep my audiobooks off the Kindle and on the Zune. It's a shame - they would be great together, but the only device that can hold them all is my computer.

Amazon did give me a $75 credit as a K1 owner, which was nice.

Thanks for your help!