Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Pixelar (UK) is launching new ereader

Apparently Pixelar in UK - who've so far sold the Hanlin V3 - is launching a new ereader according to the email I just recieved today:

Dear Ea
I really hope you don’t mind me asking you a big favour.
We are launching a new ereader which is a vast upgrade on the Hanlin V3.
We are asking one past customer from each non-English speaking country for input on the suitability and correctness of the menu language for the new ereader.
Can I impose on you to look at /add the correct Danish menu for us?.—we want it to be right- we don’t trust translation companies!
We are offering a 10% discount on the new ereader,plus a free gift -available end of July- to any of our country-specific customers who give us their input on this.

I hope you can help,
NN

No further information about brand or type of e-reader. It's interesting that they want to create menus in danish, swedish and norwegian - I wonder if they want to market it here, or are collaborating with scandinavian bookstores or publishers?

Not sure I want to help them out though; 10% discount of something I have no idea what is? Free gift? They have to cough up with something better

Last edited by Ea; 07-09-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: removed name from email signature
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Never hurts to help out a company for some future insider benefits : )

I'm interested in hearing more about this new eReader.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Never hurts to help out a company for some future insider benefits : )
Indeed, I have had very good experiences with offering help for free and getting great stuff (2 ebook readers) in return! Different company, though...
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Something called an MReader S6 apparently, it's got wi-fi, but I can't tell if its got a full web browser or not

http://www.pixelar.co.uk/ebook.php
arriving end of july
More info here
http://www.chinitech.com/en/2010/pmp...nologie-e-ink/
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
No touch screen.
Interpretation:
Good contrast and no glare!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
mbimad1011
mbimad1011 began at the beginning.

Device: V3
Ben..you are absoluteley right there.Maybe publiahing personal emails wasnt such a cool move by someone.
I will post more on this ereader when I have finalised all specs

Pixelar
mbimad1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
mbimad1011

or should i say publishing...!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbimad1011 View Post
Ben..you are absoluteley right there.Maybe publiahing personal emails wasnt such a cool move by someone.
I will post more on this ereader when I have finalised all specs

Pixelar
Firstly, whomever you are, it would have suited you to tell that to my face, instead of sneaking it into a post in this manner. For example by using the private messaging system.

Secondly, translating a user interface is not to be taken lightly - it's very important that the right words are chosen, and without information about the context, it's quite impossible to be certain that the words are translated correctly. Context information that I don't have. So, given that I don't find myself able to do a proper job, I don't even want to attempt it. I'm afraid I also find it unprofessional to leave such an important thing to complete strangers. What if I couldn't spell? I suspect this is really more of a marketing stunt.

Thirdly, any mail or letter that I recive is, as far as I'm aware, my property to do with as I will. I do not find the information in this email in any way too personal or sensitive to publish. Perhaps I should have left out the signature - in that case I apologise to the person who sent me the email, and the name is now deleted.

Finally, I was very happy with Pixelar and its customer service when I bought a Hanlin V3 1½ years ago, and I would certainly still recommend them to others, as I do not doubt that their customer service is good.

However, I do not appreciate the tone of this comment and I sincerely hope it's a "joker" and not someone from Pixelar.

Last edited by Ea; 07-09-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its one of Gajah's designs like the original Mreader http://www.chinitech.com/en/2010/pmp...mreader-s6-w3/ which is a clone of the Oaxis design

Hardware is generally good. There are always big complaints about the firmware. I hope this one is better.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Hardware is generally good. There are always big complaints about the firmware. I hope this one is better.
Given that they asked for a translation of the user interface, there's a possibility that it's new. Though I still have my doubts why they asked for it - if it's to be launched end of July, it's rather late. But then I can't imagine they'd try to market it in the Scandinavian from their own web site, which suggest a deal with a publisher or bookseller and a later launch.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
its one of Gajah's designs like the original Mreader http://www.chinitech.com/en/2010/pmp...mreader-s6-w3/ which is a clone of the Oaxis design

I'm really not sure that this one is by Gajah.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Oh it may not be theirs exactly. I had one of theirs that was VERY close to it in hand at CES. it was even he same shade of purple. the ces one was just a shell with no working inards. they were saying it would be using the arm processor.

At the least its a clone of the design- the other Mreader is a clone of the oaxis.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
I thought it was the Oaxis in the beginning, but I see it's a different device, now.

Anyway, who cares?

Last edited by Geppetto; 07-10-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: thought it was an Oaxis, but I was wrong
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
mbimad1011

Mreader

The mreader appears to be on the way.They now posting as taking pre-orders
no wifi but looks ok.
anyone got one?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
A 10% discount is what you get with a coupon that comes in the mail. And if getting the language right is truly important, you don't ask random people, you hire a skilled editor. Sounds fishy to me, or at the very least, unprofessional.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote