Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
Tarran
Tarran began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Merge feature request (different merge)

Well for a little while I thought that merge meant that it was going to combine multiple files into one large file but after looking through the forum I found out what the feature really did. So my request is if there is a true merge feature in the works that would take files like cbz/cbr, pdf, etc and combine them into one large file or even convert them into another format, ie 3 pdfs into one large epub.
Tarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarran View Post
Well for a little while I thought that merge meant that it was going to combine multiple files into one large file but after looking through the forum I found out what the feature really did. So my request is if there is a true merge feature in the works that would take files like cbz/cbr, pdf, etc and combine them into one large file or even convert them into another format, ie 3 pdfs into one large epub.
At its core, Calibre is a database of records. Each record corresponds to a single book. You may own that book in a variety of formats, and have more or less metadata about it. The current merge feature merges together records about that book when you have more than one record for the same book. It's not designed to combine the content of the various formats.

I know you know this, but that's why "merging" operates on the records in Calibre's database, not on the contents of the book formats pointed to by those records.

Combining the content of different books is more of an ebook editing function. You'd be better off selecting the text/books you want to combine, getting it into a common editable format and combining it in an editor for that format before bringing it into Calibre as a single book.

You can request a "combine books" feature in the bug tracker, but I suspect that a "book editor" feature will be added before the feature you want. Specifically, I suspect there will ultimately be an "Edit in Sigil" function that will allow EPUB editing directly out of Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert