Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Jealous of Power Mgmt on DR800

I read in the forums that the DR800 is never actually "powered off". Rather (if I understood correctly) it is hybernating, so that turning it on again is really fast and takes you back to where you were.

If this is correct, I am extremely jealous. The v2.0 of the OS on the DR1000 is (except for minor niggles) pretty good - and I now enjoy using the device much more than before. The one thing I do not like is that turning it off still powers it down, so that each time I switch it on again it takes around 45 seconds to start up. This prevents me from using the device for the odd 10 minutes here of there that I have free during the day. Leaving it on all the time is not an option either, because the battery life is pretty rubbish.

Is it possible for the DR1000 to have the "hybernate" ability of the DR800, or does the tiny battery make this impossible? Having this ability would be a dream come true, and would completely change how I used the device.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
GregorRichards
Connoisseur
GregorRichards doesn't litterGregorRichards doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
This is correct, the DR800 sleeps and wakes quite quickly.

Probably the issue is about the kernel not supporting suspending some particular piece of hardware on the device ... proper suspension has always been a dark art.
GregorRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Agreed. I doubt it has anything to do with the size of the battery.

Whether they're still working on a "hibernate" mode for the DR1000, I don't know. The only thing I've seen from them is that they are planning on it for a future release, I haven't seen anything from them that states that's no longer the case. I would assume they're still planning on it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
SplogSplog
Connoisseur
SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SplogSplog has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Irex DR1000S
If it is at least theoretically possible, then I will cross my fingers. Having said that, I imagine most of the focus in the development team at iRex is on the DR800.
SplogSplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplogSplog View Post
Having said that, I imagine most of the focus in the development team at iRex is on the DR800.
They share (mostly) the same firmware. Yes, for something like suspending specific hardware in hibernate there are probably some differences, but it's not like they're only working on DR800 firmware and ignoring the DR1000 (which some people were speculating would happen). What they're probably focusing on right now are software changes that benefit both devices, not specifically one or the other.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
what are you guys talking about? v2.0 firmware? is it released to an exclusive few? why can't i have it?
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
You can, see http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2010/04/01...are-available/
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
ah , thanks , going to install april 8th update directly. hope this resolves many issues
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorRichards View Post
Probably the issue is about the kernel not supporting suspending some particular piece of hardware on the device ... proper suspension has always been a dark art.
Something of the sort seems to have struck the Iliad; an oversight in (hardware?) design made it unable to ever truly hibernate. IRex however assured us they didn't make that same mistake again with the DR1000.

I do hope it's next on the list and will be part of a firmware 2.1 within six months from now. However, I also strongly support making all those other enhancements available in a 2.0 now, rather than postponing to a "mother of all firmwares" release, which would subsequently likely to never be completed.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote