Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Anyone remember Charles L. Grant?

Oxrun Station? Shadows? The Pet?!? I can't be the only fan of "quiet" horror left! God, I feel old.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
YES!

They were great reads.

He was also a fine editor - The Shadows anthologies.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Yes. He used to be a regular attendee at the British Fantasy Society Conventions held in Birmingham. He was a witty speaker and it was always a pleasure to hear him talk about horror.

I've read many of his horror novels and short stories. Towards the end of his life the work wasn't as good. He wrote two mediocre X-Files novel and started his own series of paranormal mysteries called "Black Oak". There was another series called the "Millennium Quartet" but I only managed to obtain the first volume. It wasn't up to his best work.

He was a prolific writer and used many pseudonyms for his fantasy, horror-comedy and romance work.

His titles are very evocative:

The Hour of the Oxrun Dead
The Last Call of Mourning
The Soft Whisper of the Dead
Come Dance with me on my Pony's Grave

Shadows was probably the best horror anthology series going in the 1980's. Grant always said he wasn't a pushover when it came to compiling these books. Only once was he overruled by his publisher who forced him to place a story by a big name writer in one volume even though Grant thought it was "a dog" of a piece. I can still remember him saying that at a convention.

Stephen Jones is editing a "best of" collection called "Scream Quietly" which is being brought out by PS Publishing this year. It should be a lovely edition.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote