Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Thumbs down A city of 250,000 in US without a bookstore...

B&N shut down a profitable bookstore because of their "overall strategy"...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/22....html?hpt=Sbin

This leaves a city in the US, population 250,000, without a single bookstore. For anyone who would like to start a bookstore business, this would be a very good location.

I just can't figure out B&N. Who runs this company?
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Be curious to know how many small bookstores were there (if any) before B. Dalton opened.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is actually pretty amazing to me. 1) you shut down a profitable business, 2) you don't understand the impact this will have on your customers, what if your business actually fulfilled a need in your community. This is beyond stupid, this is blind idiot business sense. Do these companies even think about what they are doing?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
In B&N's defense, they are shutting down ALL B. Dalton stores.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
TThis is beyond stupid, this is blind idiot business sense. Do these companies even think about what they are doing?
Only as they relate to this quarter's bottom line.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I didn't know there were any B. Dalton stores still around anywhere anyway! Haven't seen any in years!

Though given Laredo's size I am still shocked that there is now no major chain bookstore.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
B. Dalton was probably the first chain bookstore I ever shopped in. Too bad the one in Laredo couldn't be converted to a B&N.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
According to CNN B&N already is considering to open a new store in Laredo. Maybe they just wanted to get rid of B. Dalton or close all (smaller) mall stores to re-open a more spacious one.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's just a sad state of affairs for a city of that size. However from the sounds of things they maybe just shuffling stores so one will appear nearby soon.

I live in a town of 50'000 and we don't have a single good restaurant, that's just as ridiculous..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
That's just a sad state of affairs for a city of that size. However from the sounds of things they maybe just shuffling stores so one will appear nearby soon.

I live in a town of 50'000 and we don't have a single good restaurant, that's just as ridiculous..
Yes, but bookstores don't make you fat. Well, most don't anyway.

What is sad is that I'm helping to lead the way. I'm reading more now but I go to the bookstores much less.

The bookstores were where I went to find something NEW. Something, and I didn't even know what. Just roam around until I found a new book, a new series. A library is something like that, but not really the same.

And as the paper bookstores go away books will become more expensive, harder to find, then fewer and fewer. Until the library will be a tomb of ancient books visited only by Sol Roth searching for the mystery of Soylent Green.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
B&N shut down a profitable bookstore because of their "overall strategy"...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/22....html?hpt=Sbin

This leaves a city in the US, population 250,000, without a single bookstore. For anyone who would like to start a bookstore business, this would be a very good location.

I just can't figure out B&N. Who runs this company?
Sounds to me like it's run by an MBA. (Management By A.....)

It's not the first company that's shut down profitable stores. MBA's think they're too important to look at details, and as the article said, the B Dalton line as a whole was losing money-so let's not look at individual stores, just shut them all down. (K-Mart did the same several years ago. Bank of America did it before them. And those are only the ones I know about.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
This is actually "old" news, it was announced several weeks ago. As the article points out, that store made a profit, but B. Dalton as a whole did not.

Unfortunately, they don't really have an easy alternative in terms of keeping that specific store open. It's not like you can just change the sign and voila, it's a B&N.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Unfortunately, they don't really have an easy alternative in terms of keeping that specific store open. It's not like you can just change the sign and voila, it's a B&N.
How in the heck would you know that???? Please enlighten me, I guess I'm a dunce, what with profits and a known territory for your business, please tell me what I'm missing. There are 250,000 others waiting for the answer also.

Now that I've looked into it, B&N owned the stores for 23 years (since 1987). You would think, that in 23 years, you could come up with a way to make something like that to work! I'm still at a loss as to how this is a positive for anyone.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Mall bookstores just aren't profitable enough. Rents in malls are extremely high, and with the big box stores everywhere and internet book buying, they just can't hang on anymore. B&N is doing this with B. Dalton and Borders is doing the same with Waldenbooks.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
(snip) It's not like you can just change the sign and voila, it's a B&N.
Why not?

Yes, Barnes and Noble is supposedly thinking about opening a store there, but it won't open for two years, which seems like rather a long time.

In the meantime, why not hang a banner over the B. Dalton sign saying "Same books; new name: Barnes and Noble!" and keep the profitable store open?

Also, for those interested, I heard about this a while back and couldn't resist the obvious response. I posted it here.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote