Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Device Do You Have?
Sony 500 76 11.45%
Sony 505 285 42.92%
Sony 700 33 4.97%
Bookeen Cybook Gen 3 101 15.21%
Irex Digital Reader 16 2.41%
Irex Iliad 42 6.33%
Jinke/Hanlin 37 5.57%
Ganaza GeR2 2 0.30%
Soribook 0 0%
Readius 0 0%
Hanwang N510 or 516 1 0.15%
Starebook 1 0.15%
Amazon Kindle 102 15.36%
Ebookwise 1150 52 7.83%
Dr. Yi M218 1 0.15%
JetBook 6 0.90%
Plastic Logic 0 0%
Franklin eBookMan 9 1.36%
Rocket eBook 11 1.66%
REB1100 14 2.11%
REB 1200 7 1.05%
Softbook Reader 1 0.15%
Sony Librie 4 0.60%
iphone / ipod / pda 180 27.11%
I'm waiting for the Kindle 2, Kindle 1 is too ugly, etc, etc 12 1.81%
Nokia web tablets N770/800/810 or similar 25 3.77%
I still haven't decided, I"m so frackin' confused. 13 1.96%
They haven't made the one I want 18 2.71%
I read on my computer 74 11.14%
psp or other game console 24 3.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 664. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #361
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Actually, Sony's market share according to this poll is 59.34% (500,505 & 700)... Which I think would be more indicative of MR's userbase then the real world... Well, that is what I'm figuring...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #362
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
was already corrected to Sony505; probably crossposted...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #363
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
And as a corollary - how many would

a) replace existing with similar make
b) totally change .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #364
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
GeoffC: A for me, for novels that is. I am very happy with the 505, and when the time comes would love a similarly designed replacement... I would like a DR1000 or perhaps a Plastic Logic in addition to my 505 down the road for large format (ie. manuals, magazines, &c) PDF's.

-MJ

ProDigit; Heh, sorry...
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #365
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
And as a corollary - how many would

a) replace existing with similar make
b) totally change .....
Replace??
It was hard enough to choose my 505
in the first place..

Seriously, though..
1) Cybook - dictionary; many font sizes (very myopic); formats; lack of buttons (keeps it simple); nice cover
2) Kindle (1 or 2, not sure) - whispernet; lots of cool accessories; popular (in terms of finding other Kindlers, support, accessories, etc); dictionary
3) EZ reader - because I like RobertB.. lol; formats

Until I started reading on my ereader, I didn't realize how
helpful a dictionary would be.. it's not a necessity but I can
see how it would enhance the reading experience - for me.

ETA: I do really like the small size of my reader (505) and the weight
is comfortable. I really like reading in bed and the 505 makes it easy.

Last edited by AbFabGab; 02-16-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add comment about size, weight.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #366
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd love to change, as much as I am happy with this device, I really prefer a device that will be able to display basic html, (compressed in ZIP)for easier text formatting.
A device that's with a larger screen surface (more pixels: 1366x768)
I hardly take the Sony reader out on a journey, so portability is less an issue.
Also a cheap device like this one would be great!

I think a lot of people prefer larger screen resolutions for PDF, to get identical layout of larger paper sizes of pbooks, and just to be able to read longer lines of text.
The 800x600 resolution is still too small to comfortably read full lines like printed in a texbook (lines of text, and paragraphs need to be reformatted to fit the smaller screen).

I'm thinking smaller ebook reading devices could be consumed by MIDs in the future perhaps...

The larger ones, size A4 / 8"by11" I hope will become standards soon; cheaper to buy...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #367
ProDigit
Karmaniac

2 MODERATORS: Please delete this post! (double post).
Thank you!

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-16-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #368
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
AbFabGab --

You list yourself as living in Dutchess County. I'm in Poughkeepsie. Where are you in DC?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #369
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
statistically, do we have a sample of MR members ..... ? or just those who know the way to the lounge ....
Actually I'd be inclined to think that less than half of MR members have an ebook reader, and that most who don't have one come here for advice on buying one. That's what I did.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote