Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Sablerose
Enthusiast
Sablerose began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 6G
CSS and HTML for Dummies

Now don't get the title wrong, I'm no dummy.

But I have ~almost~ no knowledge of CSS and HTML, and I'm trying to convert doc files to epubs, neatly.

At the moment, I'm using the Calibre editor, and the Web when I get stuck.

Can anyone recommend a beginner book? I'm only looking for clues to questions.

Sablerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Read some beginner tutorials. There are many. HTML and CSS are very simple to learn. After you get the basics down, it's just a matter of finding the tags and properties to do what you want. If you're not looking to create some sort of highly advanced ebook layout, the basics are actually all you'll need.

What are your questions?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My first recommendation is understand 'The Box Model' aspect of HTML/CSS.

This the building blocks (pun intended ) of a book.

Build little test snippets of code to see what effect various values create.

Explore the code of things you like. Surprisingly, some complex looking effects (eg Feedbooks chapter heads) are really simple (and the inverse is also true)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablerose View Post
Now don't get the title wrong, I'm no dummy.

But I have ~almost~ no knowledge of CSS and HTML, and I'm trying to convert doc files to epubs, neatly.

At the moment, I'm using the Calibre editor, and the Web when I get stuck.

Can anyone recommend a beginner book? I'm only looking for clues to questions.

I recommend two books by Elizabeth Castro, both from Peachpit Press:
HTML, XHTML & CSS - this is focussed on website design, and I found easy to translate the information there to ePub design.

EPUB Straight to the Point - 'Creating ebooks for the Apple iPad and other ereaders.' It's a little dated but has some beautiful markup in the text.

Could I suggest, if I may, that 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.' I think it's well worth the time to get a working knowledge of web design, and then use these books and the internet resources mentioned above to tidy up the details. I've also found it very helpful to open up other people's ebooks from the MR library to see how to experts do it.

PS: I suggest the original post might get better responses in the ePub forum.

Last edited by AlexBell; 12-31-2013 at 01:06 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Sablerose
Enthusiast

@Katsunami. Thanks, I've been trolling the forums for tutorials just today, found a couple. I'll be reading most of New Year's Eve day. My questions right now are mainly about the <span> tag

@theducks I'm trying mostly to make clean ePub copies from lit, mobi, etc. books that I have copied into docx form, mainly for edit/format reasons. So I'm working to do basic things with less-than-basic knowledge. Once I've gotten working on my edits better, I may do more exploring.

@alexbell I agree with the "little knowledge" idea. Thanks for the book suggestions. Great idea re: the MR books. And I will repost over on the ePub forums. Wasn't sure where to post for best responses.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I recommend the W3Schools site. It's not a book, but it's free.
http://www.w3schools.com/

They have tutorials and references for HTML and CSS:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Further, you have to take into account the differences in the e-book readers themselves: what looks good in 1 particular reader/browser, may be a mess in another reader/browser despite using the same correct CSS / HTML code...
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Sablerose
Enthusiast

@drjenkins LOL, have it set as a homepage tab in Firefox already. But thanks for offering the info.

@DrChiper Fortunately, I'm only after epubs that will work for myself, on my iPod Touch. But thanks for that clue, since lots of people aren't just looking for working files for just one reader.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There are some things in web HTML that will not work at all in epubs, name, for instance to identify an anchor. You use id instead, so you have to be careful about those sort of things.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
There are some things in web HTML that will not work at all in epubs, name, for instance to identify an anchor. You use id instead, so you have to be careful about those sort of things.
Yes, I agree. But if SableRose looks for XHTML 1.1 which is common to websites and ePub he or she should be safe.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote