Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
What do you think of Black Library?

Hi there,
I have recently been reading a lot of Black Libraries' output. Black Library publishes stories set in the universes of the war-games Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000. I was wondering what other people thought of their stuff? I've enjoyed most of what I have read, particularly Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series, and Graham Mcneill's Ultramarines books. I don't mind what opinion you have, as long as you give a good reason rather than just giving a knee jerk "I hate it" or "I think its the best thing in the world". Go mad.
Polly7
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I LOVED the "Felix and Gotrek" novels, but only the original ones written by William King.
Not being too familiar with the Warhammer world, I found these books to be wonderfully well written with great characters and dialogue. Unfortunately, after "Giantslayer", William King apparently chose to drop the series, and his replacement was very subpar as far as I'm concerned. I found that the characters became stale, the dialogue didn't really "sound" like the original duo, and I lost interest in the series.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly7 View Post
I don't mind what opinion you have, as long as you give a good reason rather than just giving a knee jerk "I hate it" or "I think its the best thing in the world".
Fine. Then I MEH the hell right out of it.

But seriously, Abnett's really the only Black Library author I've been exposed to (Eisenhorn and Ravenor). I like him just fine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
If you like grimdark fantasy (which I do), the Warhammer 40K universe is right up your alley. I've got pieces of Gaunt's Ghosts, Horus Heresy, Eisenhorn and Ravenor. Haven't read them all, but I've really enjoyed what I have read. I'll probably be purchasing more.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Polly7
Ebook/Ereader Lover
Polly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura aboutPolly7 has a spectacular aura about

Device: K4B
Thanks for your input.
Also, thank you for your reasons, as this makes the discussion worthwhile.
Keep it up.
Polly7
Polly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've never heard of the "Black Library." Aside from the one in the Harry Potter books that is. Is it online?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Default.aspx
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Thanks. I can say I won't be buying any bundles anytime soon. $150.00 or more is a bit steep for me.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Ah.. But the bundles are still cheaper than buy the individual books in the series.

That said, you probably want to get a taste before you start spending too much...

If you like military science fiction and you're not put off by grim and dark tales, a good book to try out would be Dan Abnett's "First and Only". It's the first book in the Gaunt's Ghost series (15 novels total).
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I LOVED the "Felix and Gotrek" novels, but only the original ones written by William King.
Not being too familiar with the Warhammer world, I found these books to be wonderfully well written with great characters and dialogue. Unfortunately, after "Giantslayer", William King apparently chose to drop the series, and his replacement was very subpar as far as I'm concerned. I found that the characters became stale, the dialogue didn't really "sound" like the original duo, and I lost interest in the series.
If you like William King you should check out his Terrarch Chronicles series-

''In a world of magic and gunpowder, the half-breed Rik must rise from simple soldier to the deadliest assassin the world has ever known.

In Death's Angels, Rik and his fellow soldiers of the Seventh Infantry uncover a sinister conspiracy to waken an ancient slumbering evil. They encounter the lovely and terrible Lady Asea, immortal sorceress and ultimate manipulator of men and nations. Their deadly quest will eventually take them to the haunted city of the cannibalistic Spider God to face the hidden peril lurking there.

Death's Angels is a thrilling tale of muskets and magic blending Lovecraftian horror with adventure in the tradition of Sharpe by the bestselling creator of Gotrek and Felix.''
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I really enjoy the Black Library output. I haven't read much of the fantasy side, but have been eyeing the Felix and Gotrek series, as it seems well regarded by many. The Blackhearts series is quite good (fantasy).

I highly recommend all of Abnett's work in the Black Library. Very well written books. I also really enjoyed the Night Lords series, which is actually about villains, rather than heroes. Be warned, if you've never read Warhammer40K, the future is not pleasant place in this universe.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I really love the Warhammer 40K universe, love the fiction, fun stuff, sold DRM free which is way cool BUT --

I am also very annoyed at Games Workshop for bullying M C A Hogarth about Spots: The Space Marine by claiming to own the term Space Marine...you know, the phrase invented by sci-fi writers in the 1930s and not used by GW until the 1980s.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 05-25-2013 at 11:58 AM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

''In a world of magic and gunpowder, the half-breed Rik must rise from simple soldier to the deadliest assassin the world has ever known.

In Death's Angels, Rik and his fellow soldiers of the Seventh Infantry uncover a sinister conspiracy to waken an ancient slumbering evil. They encounter the lovely and terrible Lady Asea, immortal sorceress and ultimate manipulator of men and nations. Their deadly quest will eventually take them to the haunted city of the cannibalistic Spider God to face the hidden peril lurking there.

Death's Angels is a thrilling tale of muskets and magic blending Lovecraftian horror with adventure in the tradition of Sharpe by the bestselling creator of Gotrek and Felix.''
Thank you for this suggestion. they look interesting and I will be getting the first one.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

Just looked up Death's Angels on Amazon, and it is FREE on Amazon right now!!! Grab it if you want to check it out!! I grabbed it and have added it to my TBR pile (which is rather large).
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Just looked up Death's Angels on Amazon, and it is FREE on Amazon right now!!! Grab it if you want to check it out!! I grabbed it and have added it to my TBR pile (which is rather large).
Thanks for that. Did grab it.