Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Nyx1961
Nyx1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T2
PDM.Worm detected in Calibre?

I started opening some books in Calibre after having updated to version 0.9.27 and suddenly my Kaspersky Pure AV advised me that it detected a worm called PDM.Worm.P2P.generic. I've been using Calibre since last summer and truly appreciate the work that goes into it but this has me a little concerned.

Nyx1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Calibre's official response from the FAQ.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-18-2013 at 09:47 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Nyx1961

Thank you for your quick response. I did download Calibre from the official source and did try to find information before posting here but as I said, I've been using Calibre without issue since last August so I became concerned by the Kaspersky especially when the following came up when I installed the latest version:

Click image for larger version

Name:	kaspersky2_zpsbd8fac3b.png
Views:	370
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	104560
(Click to enlarge.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-18-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Oversized graphic changed to thumbnail attachment.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You may have other malware infecting downloads. Did you notice those other entries with the same worm ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Nyx1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You may have other malware infecting downloads. Did you notice those other entries with the same worm ?
No, this is the only one. The only other issue I've ever had is a known Kaspersky glitch with an unknown PDM.keylogger being detected due to, if I remember correctly, Adobe Reader. I'm just going to roll back to the last version of Calibre as it worked fine for me and Kaspersky didn't view it as a threat.
Advert
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx1961 View Post
No, this is the only one. The only other issue I've ever had is a known Kaspersky glitch with an unknown PDM.keylogger being detected due to, if I remember correctly, Adobe Reader. I'm just going to roll back to the last version of Calibre as it worked fine for me and Kaspersky didn't view it as a threat.
The point of the FAQ is that as long as you are downloading calibre from the proper source then Kaspersky is reporting a false positive.

Posted from the FAQ for others to view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibre FAQ
If you have the official download and your antivirus program is still claiming calibre is a virus, then, your antivirus program is wrong. Antivirus programs use heuristics, patterns of code that “look suspicious” to detect viruses. It’s rather like racial profiling. calibre is a completely open source product. You can actually browse the source code yourself (or hire someone to do it for you) to verify that it is not a virus. Please report the false identification to whatever company you buy your antivirus software from. If the antivirus program is preventing you from downloading/installing calibre, disable it temporarily, install calibre and then re-enable it.
You can over come this false positive by following the directions on Kaspersky's site.

Even if you just roll back to the previous version you should still follow these directions and report the false positive to Kaspersky.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-19-2013 at 08:49 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Unless as theducks said, a virus messed with the calibre executable.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote