Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
verna2197
verna2197 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook Color with Rooted Cm7 sd card

I have a brand new Nook Color, I purchased the CM7 Android Tablet Sdcard, I am unable to use my Nook with Calibre. If I have the Nook plugged into my computer when I open Calibre or if I already have it open and then plug in the Nook, Calibre will freeze up. It does this even if I take the card out and go back to Standard Nook. Can anyone help me to where I can use my Calibre so I can put some books onto my Nook Please!!!!

Verna2197
verna2197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Drumm
Enthusiast
Drumm began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color(CM10), NookTouch & Meadiacom 850i
Quote:
Originally Posted by verna2197 View Post
I have a brand new Nook Color, I purchased the CM7 Android Tablet Sdcard.
Verna2197
First, don't worry, there is a way to fix everything and you can't "brick" it if you tried, many have deliberitly tried and so far it hasn't been done. Ask questions if you don't understand anything, but it is pretty much impossible to screw up. I believe at this point you can download a complete image and a free program to write the image to the card and pop it into your nook. That's all there is to it.

I'm not sure why you purchased the CM7 Android Tablet SDcard, everything is free and easy to do, and CM7 is device specific as well as rom version specific. I have been using CM7 and calibre for 6 months with no problems, but I downloaded the CM7 for Nook Color.... If you installed a version that is not specifically for the rom version on your Nook Color it will not work properly, I found out the hard way. If you haven't installed the 1.41 update, I would not yet as I have not seen a rom for that version yet. It may be out there but I haven't seen it.

It is difficult to know what they gave you, but I hope as part of the install it made a complete backup before it installed. I don't think there is any easy answer to this and you have a bit of reading to do I think. You will probably want to restore it back to stock before installing the correct version of CM7, and you have options there as well. It is pretty annoying people are making money selling other people's work they just copy to a SDcard.

At this point if you have a backup do a restore and make sure everything is okay. Then look at the following links and do some reading. THe first link may help with the restore, IF you have one, if not it will show you how to make one. Keep in mind some of these are dated, but in general they are still pretty close.

Expensive class 10 cards don't work so well with the nook, get a less expensive class 4, Patriot SanDisk seem to work well. I use 16Gb cards. You can always use the card they sent you with the wrong ROM, make a backup of the rom they sent to your computer (win32diskimager will copy the old one and over write it with a new one, but it is 2 operations).

http://quinxy.com/guides/unofficial-...orkmod-manual/

https://sites.google.com/site/phiremod/
Phiremod is a version of CM7 that is pretty easy to deal with in my opinion.

http://quinxy.com/2011/04/14/complet...on-nook-color/
Guide to installing Phiremod, although still a bit dated

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=phiremod
Phiremod 7.1 on XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872003
Various nook color links on XDA, where the people who wrote CM7 hang out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=860
nook color forum at XDA. There is way too much to read and their search engine is horrible, but there is a lot of really good information. Look Q&A, General and Development, but keep in mind new members cannot post in Development, for good reason.
Drumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
verna2197

the Cm7 is on an sd card, all I have to do is put it in and then turn back on and the android tablet comes up, if I want to go back to the original Nook I just turn it off and pull the card out. I did try and install it on my Nook and was unable to. Guess I just didn't have the know how. It is for a Nook Color.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Drumm
Enthusiast

What version is it? It should say which version of the Nook rom it is for.

Where did you get it? If on the internet can you send me a link?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #5
Drumm
Enthusiast

There are a further two different ROMs (at least) for each version I have indicated already. One that runs from internal memory and another that runs from a SDcard. If this is supposed to run from a SDCard, then it there may be another problem with the rom or something else.

For most versions of CM7 you have to turn on USB Storage when you connect to a computer. Is your nook asking you to do this? It will be in the messages, the window that comes up when you drag your finger from the middle bottom to the top, or when you click on the icon on the bottom with the arrow pointing up or down. You may also see an icon that looks like a bug(USB debugging which also may need to be on) and a USB icon. when the window opens, it will say "USB Connected select to copy files to/from your computer". You have to manually turn this on every time. It is annoying, but is because B&N disabled the connection that identifies the USB device, so it must manually be selected. WIth the stock rom, there is only one option for usb data, storage(data connection between computer and storage on the Nook). With CM7 you can use many more USB devices. It also means you can plug into your computer to charge and still use yout nook.

Unfortunately there is not any real documentation for the roms, and they generally assume people know these things.
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
verna2197

This is the version that runs from the sdcard and yes I do have to turn on the usb storage when I hook it up to my computer. Here is the link for the site where I purchased my sdcard from; http://www.rootmynookcolor.com/. I tried to do it by myself but was unable to. My Calibre still will not work with this. Still freezes up if I have the Nook plugged into the puter and the Usb Storage turned on.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
You can browse the files on your Nook from your PC, right?

If so, it sounds like the problem is with Calibre. Maybe it's configured incorrectly.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote