Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Can't use PayPal to buy a Vox but you can buy a book with PayPal

A few days ago I decided to order a Kobo Vox but I wanted to use my PayPal account. There was a PayPal icon and the words PayPal Express but the method of payment only had a credit card.

I phone Kobo and they bumped it up to 2nd level support according to the email I received. Yesterday I noticed that they removed the PayPal icon and the words Paypal Express. <sigh>

But today I happily purchased an eBook using my Paypal account. I have no idea what the difference in Kobo's perception between an eBook and a physical device. <deep sigh>
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
A few days ago I decided to order a Kobo Vox but I wanted to use my PayPal account. There was a PayPal icon and the words PayPal Express but the method of payment only had a credit card.

I phone Kobo and they bumped it up to 2nd level support according to the email I received. Yesterday I noticed that they removed the PayPal icon and the words Paypal Express. <sigh>

But today I happily purchased an eBook using my Paypal account. I have no idea what the difference in Kobo's perception between an eBook and a physical device. <deep sigh>
Hmmm...weird. Obviously they never intended to allow PayPal as a payment method. Maybe it's because Paypal provides an extra level of buyer protection for what you order/purchase. Since an electronic book is a small purchase and it can be done electronically, no real risk in anything going wrong. A whole slough of things can go wrong with the eReader (your shipment never arrives, damaged in transit to you, damaged while you have it - but you say it was shipping that damaged it). I mean, a credit card would provide the same sort of protection, by putting the burden of proof on the seller to prove that the item was received by getting a signature upon delivery, but it must have something to do with the fact that there are two avenues of buyer support if anything goes wrong with your transaction. Also, then Kobo may have to deal with PayPal AND the credit card company (depending on if a dispute is opened with one or both of them).

It could also be that the fees are much higher for PayPal than they are with the credit card companies (I sell stuff on eBay and PayPal fees are hideous). I have to admit that I love using PayPal as a buyer, though.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
At the moment, they have two separate stores--one for books, one for other things (like the Vox). The new store also lets you buy two things at once. I have no idea if they will eventually have one store, or not. It seems to me that they are still working on the development of the new store.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a software vendor who uses PayPal I find that PayPal fees are reasonable and comparable to credit cards. And a heck of a lot more convenient than going through some kind of credit card system.

No idea as to selling on Ebay as I've never done that although I've purchased lots of stuff on Ebay.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
We originally had planned to include PayPal in our direct store launch, but found out at the last minute it was charging American customers CAD incorrectly and had to pull it. We intend to restore this functionality shortly.

JC
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Oh - that's good to know.

Also curious why the 'book' store is separate from the 'ereader' store, JC. I can't see my Vox order in 'My Purchases' - just my books. Is there anywhere to see this?

Last edited by pokee; 10-27-2011 at 04:46 PM.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Oh - that's good to know.

Also curious why the 'book' store is separate from the 'ereader' store, JC. I can't see my Vox order in 'My Purchases' - just my books. Is there anywhere to see this?
It's separate because we need to do different things for digital and physical products. Digital products don't need shipping addresses, or shipping notifications, or, or, or.

It's a very different ecommerce platform and we wanted to do it right instead of trying to shoehorn it into our books platform.

We will add support for self serve on orders soon - look for it this week or next.

JC
Old 10-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
JC; Any idea if we will ever see the ability to buy multiple books at one time? Some customers have led us to believe that you will loose all their business without that feature.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
JC; Any idea if we will ever see the ability to buy multiple books at one time? Some customers have led us to believe that you will loose all their business without that feature.
I don't have a specific timeline, but we know people are looking for it.

I don't want to take over a Vox thread with store topics, but I'd love to get PMs from people who really want 'eBook shopping cart'-type features so I can better understand the ask.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
I don't have a specific timeline, but we know people are looking for it.

I don't want to take over a Vox thread with store topics, but I'd love to get PMs from people who really want 'eBook shopping cart'-type features so I can better understand the ask.
Start a thread in the main ebook section asking folks about this. This way you can start a nice discussion and ignore most of the postings as they are inevitably side tracked.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
We originally had planned to include PayPal in our direct store launch, but found out at the last minute it was charging American customers CAD incorrectly and had to pull it. We intend to restore this functionality shortly.
But the $10 discount code will expire in a few days I think. So I will lose $10 unless I choose to use a credit card. Which I prefer not to do.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It looks like at least one bricks and mortar store is providing a $10 gift card when you buy a Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

Taming, thanks I read that. That's definitely an option given that I'm an impatient person. Very definitely an option. Yup, I've convinced myself.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
shannont
Connoisseur
shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.shannont has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch, retired Sony PR300
I also noticed that the physical goods store didn't allow me to use a Chapters ecard as purchase option as I had one to use. I figured the preorder from Kobo would be faster than Chapters to preorder and ship ..... and I knew I'd use the gift card on books ..... or a kobo touch for Christmas from my Mom. I always go purchase a gift card at Chapters and use it at Kobo when I buy books as I don't want to do all the little cards to my credit card.
shannont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
TonyToews
Evangelist

Future Shop knew nothing about the $10 card when I was there today. But I didn't have the time to insist today. I'll phone them next week.