Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
Red face Chapter Headings

Hi,

I'm new to posting on this forum and I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I use calibre to convert various formats to E-Pub and use Structure Detection to get it to split on Chapters (//*[re:test(., "Chapter", "i")]).

My problem is that if the input doc has a table of contents it also splits these individually as well.

This is OK if there are only a few chapters as I can then use Sigil to re-merge, however some books have upwards of 100 chapters and this gets tedious.

Is there any way to allow Calibre to split on Chapters but leave the TOC intact?
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
My problem is that if the input doc has a table of contents it also splits these individually as well.
You may not want to hear this, but delete the inline TOC, ePub books store their TOC in the toc.ncx file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
Is there any way to allow Calibre to split on Chapters but leave the TOC intact?
Chapters and the inline TOC you're referring to are both plain xhtml so I don't think there is a way to protect it.

Maybe someone will describe a work flow that does what you want.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are conversion options that tell calibre not to create splits on chapter titles and another to specify exactly where the splits should be made.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
Thanks for the replies guys.

Kovid can you be more specific (sorry I'm still virtually a novice as far as Calibre is concerned - learning as I go - Best conversion tool by the way).

What would I need to input to achieve what I require.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote