Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Serif or Sans-Serif ?
Helvetica 5 35.71%
New Century Schoolbook 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
[Feedbooks.com] Poll for Template - Round 2

With a new extended font support, Feedbooks is polling users of Sony PRS-500 at Mobileread, for their favorite font. The winning font will be in the new template for this device (you can also easily customize such settings).

Our first poll didn't gave us any clear winner with a tie between two fonts: Helvetica and New Century Schoolbook.
Helvetica is a sans-serif font: http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/helvetica/
New century is a serif font: http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/newcent/

For this run-off poll, there's only these 2 fonts left.

As soon as there's a winner, I'll change the settings on feedbooks.com and dump the whole cache for the sony reader files. There's a lot of extras we're working on right now, like biographies in every book or recommandations at the end of our books that will be included at the same time that we set the new font for the template.
For those of you who liked another font, they're all available in our custom PDF settings, just set them once, and it'll work for all of the content that we offer on the website (books/user generated content/newspapers).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Font test for Sony PRS-500.pdf (355.9 KB, 582 views)

Last edited by Hadrien; 05-15-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Don't like New Century. It reminds me of Times New Roman, too many unnecessary elements.
Helvetica is really an excellent font. Reminds me of Arial or Verdana but this one is brilliant. Very clear and easy to read. Unfortunatelly, New Century is irritating me for some reason
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I find the sans serif fonts to be easier to read on any electronic device, although I don't have a strong reaction against serif fonts the way that astra_lestat seems to.

And the poll seems to be very evenly divided, so ultimately we may just have to let the people who use the templates choose.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Sans-serif is also my personal choice. From my experience I can read it quicker than Serif type on small electronic screens.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

It's pretty much 50/50 once again, although those against serif fonts are much more vocal about it. There's a timer on the poll this time around, we'll see which font ends up first...
Advert
Old 05-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It could be my eyes, but I have trouble with the busyness of sans serif fonts. Serifs make it so much more comfortable to read. But I was shocked in the comparisons that Times New Roman was not a great font on there. I liked New Century Schoolbook much better for example.

As expected I dispised Avantgarde, Helvetica, Latin Modern. They seemed weak and hard to focus on. For me, I felt like I was reading online.

Serif fonts are more common for printed pages, and I like the Reader e-books to feel like printed pages not computer screen pages.

Hopefully that places a loud voice on the other side of the fence also. It's a big deal for me. But I also am very aware that until I have read several books in a font on a particular device, it is quite possible that my feelings could change. First impressions of fonts can be very misleading.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
It could be my eyes, but I have trouble with the busyness of sans serif fonts. Serifs make it so much more comfortable to read. But I was shocked in the comparisons that Times New Roman was not a great font on there. I liked New Century Schoolbook much better for example.

As expected I dispised Avantgarde, Helvetica, Latin Modern. They seemed weak and hard to focus on. For me, I felt like I was reading online.

Serif fonts are more common for printed pages, and I like the Reader e-books to feel like printed pages not computer screen pages.

Hopefully that places a loud voice on the other side of the fence also. It's a big deal for me. But I also am very aware that until I have read several books in a font on a particular device, it is quite possible that my feelings could change. First impressions of fonts can be very misleading.
I agree that serif fonts are much more book like. I get the same feeling with texts lacking hyphenation or proper justification too: it feels like a screen, not a book.

But at the same time, most of these readers don't render serif fonts as nicely as they should.

There's some good points on both sides: but everyone's a winner on this one, if you don't like the font of the template, you're a few clicks away from "custom settings" where you can set the font that you like the best.

Last edited by Hadrien; 05-15-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Well... New Century Schoolbook won this poll, it'll be the new template. I'm resetting the cache for the Sony PRS-500 right now.

For those of you who'd like to use another font: http://www.feedbooks.com/user/custom_pdf?settings=true