Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #31
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
On the Aura with firmware 2.5.1, the installation procedure given earlier in this thread for dictionary zip files only works partially, at least for installing the English dictionary that is not installed by default.

After copying the English dictionary to the .kobo/dict directory on the device, it becomes available for looking up words in a book, but if you tap the Dictionary lookup function on the bottom bar, it always says that there is no English dictionary available. If you switch the dictionary to another language using the dropdown list, enter a word, then switch back to English, it will successfully look up the word in the English dictionary. But it doesn't stick - the next time you call up the dictionary function, it will again tell you initially that there is no English dictionary.

Unfortunately in order to add dictionaries the "approved" way, you must also take the latest firmware update, whether you want it or not.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #32
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I don't think I have this problem on my Aura (2.5.1), but I do not have it with me to check. What dictionary are you using?
ShellShock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I think that the dictionary index is loaded into RAM. Hence, when you substitute the dictionary file, you need to "unload" it in some way.

For example, by manually changing the "active dictionary" in the settings and then perform a query.

BTW, I suggest a reboot, just to be sure there are no "race" conditions with the KoboReader.sqlite settings and/or the OS.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #34
boh!
Nameless Being

Is there any new dictionary? In the last books I red I try to use the dictionary, but there is so many words that it isn't found! ;(
Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #35
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Anybody has any ideas how to make a Kobo dictionary from .dsl ?
Maybe first converting to star format, is that possible?
.dsl is a source format, so conversions should be possible. I am not asking for .lsd.

I have many .dsl dictionaries on T2, some of them - I can't live without
I need them on Aura
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Google is your friend. A few minutes searching and I found this --> https://code.google.com/p/stardict-3/wiki/ConvertLingvo
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
maryaie
maryaie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
English Farsi Dictionary

I have downloaded Penelope. After struggling a lot with Marisa (since my OS is Windows 7 64-bit), I managed to create a English to Farsi dictionary. I transferred it to my Kobo Touch, but it is now showing it in list of dictionaries does anyone knows why? I have also attached the original file and the kobo versions ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-fa.zip (4.76 MB, 482 views)
File Type: rar English to farsi (Hfarsi).rar (3.36 MB, 439 views)
maryaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
You have to take the filename of an actually existing original dictionary, for instance dicthtml-en-fr.zip. To be on the save side, install the original English French Dictionary (or whichever you chose) in the regular way (if it is not already installed), make sure that it works, and replace it then by your dictionary file.

Last edited by tshering; 07-18-2013 at 04:04 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #39
maryaie
maryaie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks it worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You have to take the filename of an actually existing original dictionary, for instance dicthtml-en-fr.zip. To be on the save side, install the original English French Dictionary (or whichever you chose) in the regular way (if it is not already installed), make sure that it works, and replace it then by your dictionary file.
maryaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
_iso9001_
_iso9001_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Eng-Tur Dictonary for Kobo Glo

Hello everybody,

I have spent 2-3 hours but finally managed to create English-Turkish dictionary for Kobo Glo. After following Alberto's and others' instructions, I created the file (under windows) and use it.

In case someone else needs it, I am attaching it to the post.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-tr.zip (2.07 MB, 629 views)
_iso9001_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #41
inlunulae
inlunulae began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi all,

I am using the Kobo software on an Android tablet but I figured I would give the dictionary links on Post #1 a try. Did anyone have any luck with the Spanish to English link? I replaced the French dictionary file with this, but when I tested it, it was just Spanish to Spanish.

I haven't found any other Spanish to English Kobo links so I tried Penelope (thank you for the program, AlPe!) with some Spanish to English Stardict links (https://sites.google.com/site/gtongu...t-dictionaries) but encountered the following error "There is no item named 'words' in the archive". Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
inlunulae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #42
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlunulae View Post
I haven't found any other Spanish to English Kobo links so I tried Penelope (thank you for the program, AlPe!) with some Spanish to English Stardict links (https://sites.google.com/site/gtongu...t-dictionaries) but encountered the following error "There is no item named 'words' in the archive". Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
You are welcome.

It looks liek you are issuing the wrong command. In your case, it should look like the following:
Code:
$ python penelope.py -p dict_name -f es -t en --output-kobo
where dict_name is the name of your StarDict file, without extension (.dic, .idx, etc.)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
inlunulae
inlunulae began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi AlPe,

Thank you for your swift response =)

I do apologize for not writing back earlier; had an extremely busy few weeks and had to put aside this project.

I just wanted to let you know that the code you supplied worked well---thank you.

I did get an output message (below) but the dictionary files were generated without problem (the Kobo app isn't working well with the files, but I think that's a Kobo/Android issue). Just wanted to say thanks for all your help and for writing Penelope!

Quote:
[INFO] Creating compressed index file words...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "penelope.py", line 2092, in <module>
main()
File "penelope.py", line 2068, in main
write_to_kobo_format(config, parsed_data, debug)
File "penelope.py", line 1217, in write_to_kobo_format
p = subprocess.Popen([MARISA_BUILD_PATH, "-l", "-o", index_filename], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 679, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1249, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
inlunulae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #44
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

The "No such file or directory " should be a symptom of the fact that you did not set (or set to an incorrect path) the path to MARISA executables, which are needed to package the index of Kobo dictionaries (the "words" file).

You need to set the MARISA_BUILD_PATH variable at the beginning of the script to point to your MARISA local build.

You are welcome.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #45
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
This thread is for direct links to Kobo dictonaries. It is also for non-Kobo dictionaries that work on the Kobo devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
What dictionaries Kobos are using? I don't own a Kobo device. Can I open this on a Windows PC?
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote