Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Cooper523
Cooper523 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Bookmark and Cover not working

I have a Kobo Glo and my bookmark and covers are not working properly.
When I exit a book, the bookmark will be a few pages back. If I switch books, the book cover will be stuck on the first book that I've read.
This only happens to books not purchased through Kobo. E.g. Smashword.

I've contacted KOBO Help desk and they basically told me that they can only guarantee the KOBO to work with Kobo purchased books. If I knew this, I would have just waited for the Kindle Paperwhite.

Any ideas on whats going on with my Kobo Glo, or how I can fix these problems?
Cooper523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For bookmarks there is a known issue if you set the margins to be non-zero.

Cover is an intermittent issue and there has been discussion here on it. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201475 for instance.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper523 View Post
I've contacted KOBO Help desk and they basically told me that they can only guarantee the KOBO to work with Kobo purchased books. If I knew this, I would have just waited for the Kindle Paperwhite.

Any ideas on whats going on with my Kobo Glo, or how I can fix these problems?
Kobo customer care doesn't always get you a smart answer. I'm afraid not everyone there knows what they're talking about. Generally non-kobo books work fine and they're also supported. Unfortunately, some firmware versions include a number of bugs and sometimes those bugs only occur in non-kobo books (and sometimes the other way around, sometimes in both). You've unfortunately stumbled into two of the bugs of the current firmware. (And I must say I'm surprised and a little disappointed that customer service didn't acknowledge this for you.)

You can follow PeterT's instructions (set the margins to 0; and see the other thread for tricks to get the right cover to display). You could also revert your firmware back to version 2.1.5, which is more stable. It doesn't support series information though.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Cooper523
Cooper523 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks for the help!

I tried to set the margins to 0 but the bookmark is still not working....I might be doing it wrong?
How do I revert back to version 2.1.5?
Cooper523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper523 View Post
Thanks for the help!

I tried to set the margins to 0 but the bookmark is still not working....I might be doing it wrong?
How do I revert back to version 2.1.5?
Are you setting the margin to 0 from the slider in the reading settings from within Glo? If yes, and it's not working, the margins are probably set in the book itself. You can then convert it with Calibre to include the settings you want, or manually change the margin settings with Sigil (or a text editor). But you'll need to have a DRM free epub to do that (google Apprentice Alf as we're not allowed to discuss how to remove DRM on this forum). Once the DRM is gone you can unzip the epub (change the .epub extension to .zip) to get inside, or just let Calibre do it all for you.

Have a look at this thread to get the 2.1.5 firmware and how to install it. Basically, you unzip the firmware package to get three items:
- a folder called "upgrade"
- KoboRoot.tgz
- manifest.md5sum

Put all three items in the .kobo folder on your Glo (.kobo is a hidden folder if you're on a Mac*). Then eject the Glo, unplug it, and it will downgrade. Note that manually installing firmware is not officially supported by Kobo. (But many, many, many of us do it.)

* To see the .kobo folder, from Finder, go to the "Go" menu, then "Go to folder..." near the bottom, and fill in /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo – then hit "Go"

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert