Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I just talked to a support person at amazon. They are aware of the cloudy/pink issue with some factory-fresh eink screens, and that it clears up in a few days. She agreed that it was probably the glue in the screen not being fully cured when they ship.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #47
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Don't forget those Kobo people who keep confusing us by posting threads with KT in the title, requiring us to look at the forum that it was posted it to figure out which KT we're talking about!
That is why we call it a K5, and not a KT. Because a K2 and DX use the same 2.x firmware, hardware differences (larger screen resolution) resulted in a different name for the DX. And the same will happen with the Paperwhite, where although it runs 5.x firmware, its larger screen resultion results in us calling it a PW in the Dev Corner forum.

So DX = K2 upgraded with "more pixels", and PW = K5 upgraded with "more pixels".

KT = Kobo Touch.

EDIT: In the Dev Corner, there is no hardware differences that software or firmware are concerned with, so they are both a K4 in the Dev Corner. But here where such esthetics do matter, K4S and K4B are more appropriate.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-08-2012 at 06:44 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #48
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I just talked to a support person at amazon. They are aware of the cloudy/pink issue with some factory-fresh eink screens, and that it clears up in a few days. She agreed that it was probably the glue in the screen not being fully cured when they ship.
Truly? Odd. If anything, mine seems to be worsening. It definitely hasn't improved since I received it on the 2nd.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Truly? Odd. If anything, mine seems to be worsening. It definitely hasn't improved since I received it on the 2nd.
I suspect alot of people are being told a bunch of things right now. I say give it a few weeks or month and maybe Amazon will come out with the real reason for the hues and maybe a fix on newer devices.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #50
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
I think the glue theory was something picked up on by the forums (due to it having happened with iPads), and while some people's color blobs apparently got better over time, I didn't have such luck.

The wording of the original post...

Quote:
She agreed that it was probably the glue in the screen not being fully cured when they ship.
(bolding mine) ...makes me think this theory was put forth by the user, not the actual Amazon rep in this conversation? (I'm just guessing that some CSRs may be inclined to 'agree' with whatever theory the customer is currently entertaining, or at least if it doesn't make the company look too bad.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I call it 'rainbow screen'. Mine is not that bad, and sometimes it seems to be getting less pronounced, but it really hard to tell. I have put it out for a couple of 'tanning sessions' (in full sun) in hopes that the screen will 'cure' faster. I'll give it some more time before making a decision to exchange. As convenient as Amazon makes it to exchange, it is still a hassle, and there's no guarantee the replacement unit will be better. I just want to be reading.

So it would be better for all concerned if there's a spontaneous healing!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got an unrelated UPS delivery coming tomorrow so I just boxed up my defective PW to let the UPS guy take it away. I needed to reset it so I took one last time to compare it with the replacement. I thought it had improved a few days ago when I looked at it, but it was clearly still really bad when I compared the two tonight in my reading area. The replacement isn't that great either, but it least it isn't blotchy. It is rather blue in hue though.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #53
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon probably reads this forum and picks up possible causes and solutions right here.

I'm sure by 2013 all this will be totally cleared up.

I remember in 2010 I was theorizing the metal clips on the covers were shorting the Kindle Keyboards. I remember HUNDREDS of posts saying it was all poppycock.,

After 3 months went by Amazon acknowledged the covers were the problem and I got a full refund for my cover even though the 30 day limit was well passed.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 11:43 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #54
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My PW had a pretty evident yellow tint to the screen when I first got it, and now a week later it has largely vanished. Couldn't even tell a difference when I compared it with my Touch earlier.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #55
gosmo
gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gosmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I received my KP last Tuesday, pink spots on two corners and entire center is slightly darker than rest of screen. I tried cleaning the screen, no effect. I called Kindle tech support Saturday and they gave me a projected delivery date of the replacement Kindle mid November. Monday (yesterday) I got a phone call saying they were able to change the delivery date to Oct. 11th. It's in Shipping Soon status right now.

Knowing Amazon, they will probably sweep the problem under the rug publicly and they will do whatever they can to make the people that do complain happy.

Last edited by gosmo; 10-09-2012 at 07:43 AM.
gosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #56
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I just got my Paperwhite today. While I don't seem to have the color issues, there is a diagonal line of light on the upper lefthand of the screen.

Is this something that could clear up (go away/fade) with time?
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #57
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I just got my Paperwhite today. While I don't seem to have the color issues, there is a diagonal line of light on the upper lefthand of the screen.

Is this something that could clear up (go away/fade) with time?
This doesn't sound like one of the common problems. Is there any way you could get us a pic? You can attach directly to your post.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #58
wystearya
Enthusiast
wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wystearya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow. It's late now, and I am not sure if I am getting used to it or if it is already beginning to fade..

I'm not sure it will show up, I don't have the best camera, but I will try! To better describe it, it is like a skinny band of brighter light in the upper lefthand area on the screen. It cuts across the screen. Makes it look like someone 'dogeared' the page.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #59
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I will try to get a picture tomorrow. It's late now, and I am not sure if I am getting used to it or if it is already beginning to fade..

I'm not sure it will show up, I don't have the best camera, but I will try! To better describe it, it is like a skinny band of brighter light in the upper lefthand area on the screen. It cuts across the screen. Makes it look like someone 'dogeared' the page.
From how you describe it, this seems an unrelated issue.
Wish you the best of luck either way!
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #60
wystearya
Enthusiast

I managed to get a couple of pictures of my issue.

I've adjusted the 'highlights' to better show this, it does not look this bad in person!

A close-up of the affected corner.

It's just a beam of diagonal light. When there is text on the screen it is undetectable. And I have to have it in the right light for it to be visible. Still, you can see it there!