Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
leezer3
Enthusiast
leezer3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wanted- Something epic... (SF/ Fantasy)

OK, so I'm bored and looking for an epic, well-written series (Alright, these don't always come hand in hand!)
My primary interest is at the harder end of SF, but fantasy is fine as well, so long as it's well worked out.

I suppose the most important thing to me, is a scenario and world mechanic that actually works and stays in context
I've read far too much where authors suddenly invent a stardrive, magic and so on, but simply fail to think of the technical practicalities, or even invent consistent rules.

Series I've recently enjoyed as a FWIW:
* Ben Bova- The complete set from the Moonwar to the Asteroid wars. Someone who's actually thought about the physics is a rare, rare beastie
* Asimov's foundation series. Introduced to these early, and even have a couple of signed firsts courtesy of my grandfather, classic stuff.
* Otherland- Different, but a really interesting concept of the internet wrapped up in fantasy and a bit of an LSD trip. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was good, but not brilliant, tended to go on a bit in places.
* A Game of Thrones- Good, but not brilliant; I think he went too far with the anyone can die concept.
* David Weber- Read most of the Harrington series, very decent, but IMHO drops off towards the end. Also read the one where aliens invade earth, which started well, but went to pot about where Dracula was introduced.

-Leezer-
leezer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Try Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap Cycle.
The first book is very, very short. More of an intro, really, to the meat and potatoes of the SF series.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for the Drenai series by David Gemmell.

1. Legend (1984)
2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
3. Waylander (1986)
4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
5. In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
7. The Legend of Deathwalker: Chronicles of Druss the Axeman (1996)
8. Winter Warriors (1997)
9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
leezer3
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Try Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap Cycle.
The first book is very, very short. More of an intro, really, to the meat and potatoes of the SF series.
I've actually read those I think, although that was many, many years ago
Morn Hyland and Angus Thermopolye (sp?) ring a bell or two, although I can't actually remember much of it.
May have to head back in that direction.

Good call on the David Gemmell though, I've actually read the Rigante and Skillgannon series, although not the Drenai. I'd agree those were very, very good books

I probably should have specified not mainstream, or at the least hard to please
It's this ebook reader, can keep so much more stuff about the place now.

-Leezer-
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leezer3
Morn Hyland and Angus Thermopolye (sp?) ring a bell or two, although I can't actually remember much of it.
That's the one. But don't forget Hashi Lebwohl, Min Donnor and Warden Dios.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Epic - Joe Abercrombie's First Law series:

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest David Brin's Uplift Universe. I am not fond of The Uplift Trilogy, particularly its ending, but the first three novels are excellent and two won Hugo's.

Another epic author is Steven Brust. The Vlad Taltos series is up to number 13 (of 19), but the the Khaavren Romances are perhaps even better. They are both in the same universe.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
For hard sci-fi epic, I would say Kim Stanley Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy.

For not quite scifi/fantasy but entertaining and "sciency" I would recommend Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
For Fantasy with a well built world and magic system I'd recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series (the original trilogy and after that the standalone novel "The Alloy of Law").
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
leezer3
Enthusiast

Really appreciate all these responses, thanks

I will try giving something back *soon*, keep an eye on the writers forum over the next month or two. (I've got most of the first chapter of a SF novel written, if I ever decide it's good enough to go beyond my mother)

-Leezer-
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Did you consider The Dark Tower series by Stephen King?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest David Brin's Uplift Universe. I am not fond of The Uplift Trilogy, particularly its ending, but the first three novels are excellent and two won Hugo's.
The first book had an interesting premise. But the second about the dolphins just got boring really fast. Never did finish it. There was no likability to the dolphins.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King

by J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
For Fantasy with a well built world and magic system I'd recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series (the original trilogy and after that the standalone novel "The Alloy of Law").
Ditto.

Brandon is a very good writer. If you want to try some of his writing, his novel WarBreaker is available for free on his website: http://www.brandonsanderson.com
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The first book had an interesting premise. But the second about the dolphins just got boring really fast. Never did finish it. There was no likability to the dolphins.
I agree! I enjoyed reading Sundiver and couldn't get halfway through book 2.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote